Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2023, 07:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotus View Post
Hey all,

I have rotational squeak in the front driver-side wheel. It sounds like a suspension squeak/creak when a car rocks back and forth, like a horror movie door opening, but only when the wheel turns. Its gets faster as the wheel turns faster and slower, more horror-movie-like when going slow. I have ruled out the brakes as it is present with the brakes engaged or not. It also seems to occur whether going straight or turning in either direction.

I jacked the wheel off the ground and when I spin the tire it is perfectly quiet and spins freely.

Any thoughts?
I have a thought. It would be helpful if we knew the year, make, model, type, etc. of the vehicle you are working with.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2023, 07:34 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I have a thought. It would be helpful if we knew the year, make, model, type, etc. of the vehicle you are working with.
Bio says it's a Winnie 31K Winnebago

Clotus, pull that wheel off and reinstall it with proper torque, then go for a drive and report back.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 06:36 PM   #17

I also recommend taking the wheel covers off and taking it for a drive.
That's what makes my noise, but I only notice it going slow with windows down.
kwftlaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:54 AM   #18

When I get a chance, likely next week, I will pull the wheel cover off and drive it home from storage. If the sound is gone it will be a circle trip right back, otherwise I will follow all of your great suggestions and start hitting it one by one. I will report back what I find. Fingers crossed its simply the wheel cover.
Clotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:59 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Good idea to do one thing at a time. Otherwise you don't know what cured it.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:31 AM   #20

I doubt it's the front anti rattle clip I suggested earlier. I thought your Class C was a Ford E-450 or E-350 chassis. Looks like a MB.
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 06:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDParise View Post
I doubt it's the front anti rattle clip I suggested earlier. I thought your Class C was a Ford E-450 or E-350 chassis. Looks like a MB.
I totally should have put this clearly at the beginning, my bad:

2017 Minnie Winnie 31k built on 2016 Ford E-450 chassis

I appreciate all the suggestions and help!
Old 05-06-2023, 06:50 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotus View Post
I totally should have put this clearly at the beginning, my bad:

2017 Minnie Winnie 31k built on 2016 Ford E-450 chassis

I appreciate all the suggestions and help!
Not to worry. I Googled it and it showed a Mercedes Benz front grill.

As an E-450, the anti rattle clips are in play as a source of rotational squeaking then - my noise was only at one point where the clip touched a bit of rust on the outer edge of a rotor. Annoying, a little worrying, a little embarrassing not wanting to be "that guy who doesn't maintain his brakes".

[emoji38]
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 06:31 AM   #23

I had the exact same problem on my 2018 Freedom Elite 26HE Class C. Drove me nuts. Turned out to be a collapsed roller (just one single roller) in the wheel bearing. I changed the bearings on both sides and the problem was solved. (42,000 miles)
Steve Cie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cie View Post
I had the exact same problem on my 2018 Freedom Elite 26HE Class C. Drove me nuts. Turned out to be a collapsed roller (just one single roller) in the wheel bearing. I changed the bearings on both sides and the problem was solved. (42,000 miles)

So I finally got a chance to pick the RV up, but not time to really tear into it. Of course, as I drove to and from storage the creak/squeak was gone. I am not naive and experience has taught me it will be back, I am not that lucky. When your roller was failing, would the sound come and go?

I am suspecting my issue may be heat related.
Old 06-23-2023, 11:40 AM   #25

Update!!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I started off checking the wheel for any play and I noticed a more than normal top/bottom play indicating the axle nut needed to be tightened (well re-seated). Before I dealt with that I removed the wheel simulator and wouldn't you know, it made the same creaking sound as I pulled it off. A short test drive revealed the sound was gone, but it has done that to me in the past.

I followed the proper procedure (man youtube is helpful) for tightening the axle nut. Went very smoothly and now it has just a little top/bottom play, which per my research is correct for the E450.

Went on a 200 mile trip with no wheel simulator and zero creaking, yay! Put the wheel simulator back on for the 200 miles back and again all quiet.

Once home, the next day I went to take it back to storage and what do you think I hear? That's right, the darn creak

Luckily I was stopping for fuel before storage, so out comes my trusty crowbar, pull the simulator off, and bam! the sound is once again gone. Shout out to twinboat, ArtJoyce, nodine and kwftlaud, you guys called it!

Seems like I have finally found the creaking culprit, the wheel simulator! I am definitely glad its not a more expensive issue or an actual failure, but I am at a loss on how to fix the sound. The rig looks a little off without the simulator.

Thoughts or suggestions on how to get the wheel simulator to stop creaking. Its the press-on friction style.
Old 06-23-2023, 03:02 PM   #26

Take pliers and bend the outer flange away from the tire, all the way around.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 04:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Take pliers and bend the outer flange away from the tire, all the way around.

Will do, thanks!
Old 06-24-2023, 08:51 AM   #28

Hey there , very funny I had same problem, took my weel simulator off and guess what noise ( tick tick tick screech tick ) gone . I am not sure how to fix it except buy a new wheel simulator must be a manufacturing flaw in the wheel simulator.
canelo56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
squeak