Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #1

Fuel additives when parking for long periods

I thought I had read in the forum somewhere a posting from a guy who years ago Ford told him it is better for the engine to add a fuel additive when parking for long periods vs starting your engine every month. I can't find it.

Question: would Heet be the type of fuel additive he is talking about?

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #2

Could he have meant Sta-Bil to keep the fuel from souring?
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #3

The post I read a while ago just mentioned fuel additive to keep the fuel stable and lubricated. Ford told him it was better for the engine than starting it every month even if you drive it a few miles.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Add Sta-Bil, fill tank drive around 10 miles, Park vehicle and don't start until you are going to drive for at least 25 miles.
If you have a gas generator, run it before parking with Sta-Bil in tank.
Exercise the generator every 30 days for at least one hour with a 1/2 load on it.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Add Sta-Bil, fill tank drive around 10 miles, Park vehicle and don't start until you are going to drive for at least 25 miles.
If you have a gas generator, run it before parking with Sta-Bil in tank.
Exercise the generator every 30 days for at least one hour with a 1/2 load on it.
Why do you not want to start your engine until you are ready to travel again? What is the difference between the generator & the drive engine to make this difference? I start the gas engine in my MH once a month & let it run for about 30 mins & not all at just idle, I also do the generator for the same amount of time or more with a load on it.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gas engines Sta-Bil is what I used... this (As someone said) keeps the gas from "Souring" (seperating out into it's components and gumming up the works)

Diesel it's Sea-Foam

As to not starting the engine from time to time... Well, there is a full "Storage" procedure, which I've never done cause it's a bunch of work, involves "fogging the cylinders" and such on a gas engine, if you are going to let it sit and sit and sit, I recommend it.. however if you run it long enough to get it up to normal operating temps for say 15-30 mintues every month.. You can skip that process.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #7

Our first MH was an A on Ford F53. Ford told us the same thing when I called their RV group. This applied to winter weather and the requirement at the time for an oil change every 3 months. I told them it would be sitting next to my home and after 3 miles would have had no miles on it since the prior oil change so it seemed foolish to have it changed again. I was told it was OK to leave it for six months without a change after three months BUT I should NOT start it and run it. Turn it off and leave it off.

Our next was a DP with Cat C7. When we got to FLA and it would be parked for 5.5 months I called the CAT help desk. Asked about additives. They said same thing as Ford - turn it off and leave and off and don't start it at all.

I did (and still do) use Sta-bil for the gas engine and for our two DPs I used a diesel fuel additive for storage.

The generator is a different situation - so I've been told. As to how much it has to be run is another question. I've seen one hour a month and two hours a month in Onan material. At the Tampa show a few years ago I got two Onan/Cummins guys debating each other on this issue. Have also seen different opinions from Onan for gas and diesel gennies.

Don
Old 10-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
When I had the V-10 I used Sta-Bil. But now with a diesel I use Stanadyne for the stabilizer and Racor Biocide to prevent algae depending on the time of the year and the region I'll be located.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #9

When I get ready to put it away for winter I plan on filling the tank with "pure" gas instead of 10% ethanol gas along with Stay-bil.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #10

I am going with "stabilizer" and park it for this winter. As for the generator - I talked to the Onan service dept here in Iowa. They said drain the carb and let it sit. Guess we'll find out if that works in the spring..
Old 10-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Starting a coach engine and not driving it for 30 miles dies more harm than good. Running at idle it high idle does not get EVERYTHING up to temperature and lubricate all of the seals. The exhaust system does not get up to temperature and the condensation it forms acids as well as acids in the oil.

The generator needs to be run for 30 minutes to an hour (varies with manufacturer) under 1/2 load every 4 to 6 weeks. The load is to get the generator winding warm and drive the moisture out of them. The winding insulation is hygroscopic (sucks up moisture) and the heat keeps the windings dry. Wet winding and generator components shorten the generator life.

Large industrial motors and generators have space heaters in the windings which are energized when the unit is not operating to keep them dry.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel