Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #1

Furnace didn't work

We went camping last weekend. Sout of STL about 2 hours. Great weekend, cold, some snow, some sleet, but a nice camp fire to keep us warm. But when I went to the furnance on. HHHHHMMMMMMMM ho heat. Well I am now up in N. IL visiting the son and his family for Thanksgiving. Left my home the next after getting home from camping. So I didn't have time to see why the furnance would not light. My first thought is that maybe a spider built a web over the orifice of the pilot light. Thats what was wrong when I bought the C. That will be the first spot. Hopefully its that simple. If not well just have to do some old fashion troubleshooting. Want it fixed, we are going camping over the New Years long weekend. The sister is going to take off work Friday, Jan. 2nd so we can make it a long weekend. If I don't get it fixed, will fall back on the heat strip in the rooftop a/c, that is what we used the last weekend and we were very comfortable with that most of the time. At times I would also plug in a 1500 watt space heater for a while and that sure warmed up the coach nicely. Want the furnace to work though so I can get heat into the water compartments where the dump valves and the other compartment where the water pump and some piping is.
Live is a trip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.
Bill
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #2

Bill, the furnace in a 2003 RV should not have a pilot flame , it would be electronic ignition.
Many things that could cause a no light of the furnace; low fan speed due to low voltage or failing fan motor is one possibility.
Do you have the users manual for the furnace , with detailed trouble shooting info ? If you don't have that info, if you post the furnace brand and model number, a member may be able to post the info if you can't find it from the makers web site.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #3

Hi Skip426. I am not at home right now. Visiting the son and his family up north. Thanks for the info. I will have to look through my downloads to see if I did download the manual for the furnace.
A while back my son in law install a new water heater for me. Due to the fact I have vision issues and not able to do that kind of work anymore. I replaced the 6 gal with a 16 gal gas/electric water heater. While installing the water heater, the son in law told me that one of the heat ducts that ran to exhaust under the dinette table was in the way and he had to remove it. So he took it off the plenum and tape that opening closed. After reading another thread about a furnace not working, it mention in the article that there has to be enough airflow for the sail switch to operater correctly. When I get home the first thing I am going to do is pull that tape off that duct opening and reroute that piece of duct work, so that there will be more airflow through the furnace. I think that maybe the problem.
Life is a trip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
One of the best diagnostic tools for the furnace is your ears. Stand near furnace (outside cover off) while someone inside turns up the thermostat. You should hear the fan start and then the gas valve open and ignitor 'snapping.' If the fan starts but won't turn on the gas, suspect the blocked duct. No fan noise, check fuse or control board. Most all RV furnace companies or repair shops have on line troubleshooting guides, check them out.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #5

Hi BFlinn181, thanks for the info. I will try that once I get home from visiting my son and his family, in Dec. If you read one of my other answers you will see what I think it may be the problem. I will get fixed for sure. Since we are planning on camping over the New Year weekend.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Safe Travels.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #6

It's my understanding the sail switch operation is dependent upon the squirrel cage (blower) functioning properly. Not enough air produced, no propane nor ignition. But I'm not sure about much so may be wrong.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:49 AM   #7

Hi Wbonsell, I would say you are correct. Not enough airflow and the sail switch will not operate properly. If you my post above about the new waterheater install. That will be the first place I will look.
Safe Travels.