Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
The numbers posted above are all pretty close but... add a Toad, head wind, loaded heavy {to just name a few mitigating factors} and those numbers can get hard to come by. Proper tire pressure and keeping the loading balanced will help and the new 6+ speed transmission are a big improvement as well.

The problem with the larger Class C's is their often severe lack of payload. Fill that 55 gallon fuel tank and you've added 350+#. Run with anything in the black or grey tanks and you add even more weight and no, you cannot always dump before leaving a campground. Often, especially on Sundays and holiday weekends are far worse, the line at the Dump station can be an hour or more as the fools who don't know how to do it properly take an inordinate amount of time {IMHO: if you are not done in 10 minutes you need to review and improve what you're doing}.

With much of anything in your black, grey and fresh water tanks a large {30'+} Class C will likely be over not only its GVWR but RAWR as well and that is if you load very lightly.

Our 24' C with the V-10 and 5 speed Torque Shift trans has averaged 9.5 mpg when not towing over the last 6.5 years and 60K miles including a little generator run time but our GVWR is only 11,500# - I cruise at 60 - 65. Keep in mind i have the 4:10 rear end and the E-450's run the 4:56 which definitely impacts the mileage.

As always... opinions and YMMV.

LOL - so true waiting in line at the dump station sometimes looks like a monkey f$&%$*# a football. Thank you for the laugh! 😂
Jstamm2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2020, 01:13 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just drove 1000 miles, 3 days of headwinds, '2020 24' Minnie Winnie got 11 mpg, not pulling. That's my wife driving, I usually get 1-2 more. We drive sensibly!
Old 03-28-2020, 11:52 PM   #17

Thanks Ron,

Info added: (March 29) to answer the questions posted by; Ron Dittmer

• If we can afford to buy new we will otherwise used - 2-3 years old.
• Conventional Class “C”……not a “B” class!
• Looking at the Forest River “Forester” 3011DS
• Ford E450 (Triton / V10) chassis
• No Toad
LGClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGClarke View Post
Thanks Ron,

Info added: (March 29) to answer the questions posted by; Ron Dittmer

• If we can afford to buy new we will otherwise used - 2-3 years old.
• Conventional Class “C”……not a “B” class!
• Looking at the Forest River “Forester” 3011DS
• Ford E450 (Triton / V10) chassis
• No Toad
The best fuel economy out there, in something on a smallish class C (will be under 30') motorhome is anything on the MB Sprinter 3500 chassis with the 3.0L turbo diesel V6 engine. Bar none. There are other factors that deter many from considering it as an option. We've had no problems with ours, and the mileage is a solid 15mpg overall average, all terrain and driving conditions, at 65mph, not towing. We get 13mpg, same parameters, pulling our 4500lb Wrangler. Just throwing this in for comparison/perspective.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:21 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
I have an 2018 Forester 3011DS, E450, with 14500 miles. I tow a small car, 4 down and live in the West, so virtually everywhere I go there are mountains. Since I purchased it I have keep meticulous records and have gotten a low of 6.3 mpg and a high of 9 (must have been from Flagstaff to Phoenix, downhill most of the way). Anyway, my average is 7.9, mostly driving 60 to 65 mph.
dennys67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas