Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #15

I looked at getting a diesel, but then did the math. It didn't make economic sense.

From a purely mileage point of view I would have had to do a minimum of 65,000 miles before I saved enough money to even (without accounting for interest) save the cost of the engine upgrade.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I looked at getting a diesel, but then did the math. It didn't make economic sense.

From a purely mileage point of view I would have had to do a minimum of 65,000 miles before I saved enough money to even (without accounting for interest) save the cost of the engine upgrade.
?

If we're talking about the Mercedes diesel in the Sprinter chassis (as in the subject line) then there isn't any choice, diesel is the only option (unless you're talking about a handful of used vehicles from 2008, the only year a gas option was offered.)
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #17

2011 Coachmen Prism, 3500cc Mercedes Diesel, 22K odometer reading, getting between 15 and 17 mph (depending on speed!). Traveling cross country from Boston To Vancouver, BC. It seems to prefer 55-60mph!
roncrul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
?

If we're talking about the Mercedes diesel in the Sprinter chassis (as in the subject line) then there isn't any choice, diesel is the only option (unless you're talking about a handful of used vehicles from 2008, the only year a gas option was offered.)

That is correct.

However the same floor plan (and quality level), on a different (F-450 or other) chassis, is substantially less money.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncurl View Post
2011 Coachmen Prism, 3500cc Mercedes Diesel, 22K odometer reading, getting between 15 and 17 mph (depending on speed!). Traveling cross country from Boston To Vancouver, BC. It seems to prefer 55-60mph!
I had the same experience as you....15-17mpg is a good average depending on terrain....when we tow our mileage dropped by 1 mpg.
The biodiesel issue I am afraid may be a real issue in the future. Hopefully more states will NOT go with mandatory B20 diesel as MB only warrants B5 diesel...that is a show stopper...
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #20

Gas Mileage for a Mercedes 3.5 Diesel

If you read the pump label bio additive can vary from 5-20 % in many states . MB can NOT deny warranty on fuel % not to mention they never test at the dealer level. Obvious would not cover dirt or water in the fuel.
EPA allows 20% thats what MB was to deal with.........the owners manual are just wiggle words and have no real meaning in real life.

The 20% also has had no real problems and some believe it is a good thing because of the added lubrication qualities of the bio additive. Mileage may be effected........but it is really impossible to know what % is actually being sold. Call companies like BP they give the EPA line 0-20 % varies by location.

This is parallel story to ethanol on gasoline.........not saying its a good thing (in fact the ethanol is a far worse thing) it just the government at work. Car manufactures are stuck with ethanol and all the problems it causes including poor MPG. The small engine guys have it far worse, but they can deny warranty for bad fuel due to poor storage and stale gas.
Showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #21

Mercedes CAN deny warranty coverage on problems caused by a greater than 5% biodeisel fuel mix as that is clearly stated in the warranty terms. Also, biodiesel content does not necessarily have anything to do with the EPA per se. For example, in Illinois the legislature has exempted biodiesel fuel mixes above a certain percentage from fuel taxes and that's why most all stations use it (to stay cost competitive.) Stuff like that has no relationship whatsoever to Mercedes warrnaty coverage.

However, I agree that for a number of reasons it is unlikely that Mercedes would deny coverage based on a fuel mix alone, even though they technically can. I would think it would open a can of worms they don't want opened.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #22

I do agree............but states like IL. Where bio is the only thing available..........can't imagine MB would have or even try to say is the problem.........let's say in Lemon law case.........they would loose the case just like the ethanol gas cases. If its the law that mandates fuel blending MB can not just say fuel blending isn't for us.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showkey View Post
If you read the pump label bio additive can vary from 5-20 % in many states . MB can NOT deny warranty on fuel % not to mention they never test at the dealer level.
I suggest you speak to a MB Dealer or call Sprinter USA....when I spoke to them they both said absolutely do NOT put anything higher than B5 in your fuel tank.
Good Luck!
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #24

Of course they said that.......that's what the manual says........the point is......in some states you have no idea what blend your purchasing.

Again Example: Illinois the label only has to say 5-20% blend

If you hang around the Sprinter forum blended fuel has not been a concern so far..........
Old 06-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #25

You're missing the point... Mercedes says no more than 5%, it doesn't matter what the EPA or the State of Illinois or anyone else says or does, or whether the label on the pump is clear, or anything else... if you use a more than 5% fuel blend and there is damage related specifically to that then they can deny warranty coverage. It is the OWNERS responsibility to use the right fuel and if local availability (or labeling, or whatever) is incorrect then it is the owner's problem, not Mercedes.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #26

Nope........35 years at the auto/ truck manufacture .......here's a example ethanol was causing leaks, misfires, corrosion, poor fuel economy! hot restart or no start hot and host of other problems many due to improper blending or excessive % of ethanol. We the manufactures cried foul.............EPA said too bad........fix the cars or buy them back..........no choice.

The cars are EPA certified to run and be used on the available fuel in the 50 states.

This went on for years. Today the cars are much more tolerate of the ethanol. The only relief we received was on low MPG, that customer complaint was considered normal for the blended fuel.

Diesel blend is the same story.........MB can say what they want........they can not deny warranty coverage and won't. There a little law call the MAG\MOSS that says they can't...........

One more story then I am done......another example.......the other manufacture in writing BS or smoke screen example.......stating oil consumption of a quart every 1000-1500 or 2000 miles is normal and no warranty repairs because it is normal. Never ever stands up past the initial threat. It is not a defendable position for the manufacture if the customer pushes back. Unfortunate the customer must push these issues but that is reality.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #27

I hope you never have to test your theory
Old 06-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #28

Not with MB yet..........but I was on the receiving end of these concerns 100 and 100's of times. They are and were always resolved in the customer' favor some in court ..99.9 % resolved at a customer relations level with a $$$$$$ settlement, buy back or the vehicle is repair.

My Sprinter has only had minor problems resolved under warranty like EGR and crank sensor no questions ask....especially never asked what fuel I used and I lived in Illinois with the unknown blended fuel. Which in theory the fuel could have a negative effect on the EGR.

By the way......I am not saying blended fuel is a good thing like I said before it just another government mandated regulation gone bad.

Tags
diesel, gas