Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2021, 08:30 PM   #57

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourNut View Post
My friend went through this over 2-3 years ago , Maybe Mercedes finally addressed their biodiesel problem in their engines.

But I'll bet he will have less overall hassle & expense with his Ford .
I also heard that the 2019 and up models can burn bio diesel however the earlier motors shouldn't. Some won't hurt it however, too much is not good.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2021, 07:08 AM   #58

From Mercedes Benz:

Diesel fuel with up to B5 biodiesel content according to ULSD specification ASTM D975 meets Mercedes-Benz approved fuel standards and will not void coverage under the Mercedes-Benz New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Diesel fuels between B6 and B20 or higher pose risks of engine and fuel system damage, and are not approved by Mercedes-Benz. Please refer to the following recommendations to help avoid engine and fuel system damage if you do not have the chance to refuel your vehicle continuously with ULSD, maximum B5:

• Fill up with ULSD (B5 or less) whenever possible, from a name brand fuel station.

• Regularly monitor your engine oil level if you have no choice but to use B20 fuel.

• Strictly follow the oil change intervals quoted in the instrument cluster and within your maintenance booklet, and use ONLY engine oils and filters approved by Mercedes-Benz for use in the vehicle.

• If you do not plan to drive your vehicle for several weeks, fill your vehicle’s fuel tank completely in advance with ULSD fuel.

• Limit engine idling time to five minutes or as mandated by local ordinance.

Fuel with biodiesel content greater than 20%, including B100, is not approved by Mercedes-Benz due to the risk of severe engine damage. Any damage caused by the use of such non-approved fuels will not be covered by the Mercedes-Benz New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

From what I have read occasional use of >B5 will not void the warranty with the keyword being occasional. For me, occasional is only in an emergency situation where B5 or less is not available. I would start looking for fuel while I still had enough in the tank to allow me the flexibility to look elsewhere in case my first stop did not have B5 or less.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:30 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer2021 View Post
From Mercedes Benz:

Diesel fuel with up to B5 biodiesel content according to ULSD specification ASTM D975 meets Mercedes-Benz approved fuel standards and will not void coverage under the Mercedes-Benz New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Diesel fuels between B6 and B20 or higher pose risks of engine and fuel system damage, and are not approved by Mercedes-Benz. Please refer to the following recommendations to help avoid engine and fuel system damage if you do not have the chance to refuel your vehicle continuously with ULSD, maximum B5:

• Fill up with ULSD (B5 or less) whenever possible, from a name brand fuel station.

• Regularly monitor your engine oil level if you have no choice but to use B20 fuel.

• Strictly follow the oil change intervals quoted in the instrument cluster and within your maintenance booklet, and use ONLY engine oils and filters approved by Mercedes-Benz for use in the vehicle.

• If you do not plan to drive your vehicle for several weeks, fill your vehicle’s fuel tank completely in advance with ULSD fuel.

• Limit engine idling time to five minutes or as mandated by local ordinance.

Fuel with biodiesel content greater than 20%, including B100, is not approved by Mercedes-Benz due to the risk of severe engine damage. Any damage caused by the use of such non-approved fuels will not be covered by the Mercedes-Benz New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

From what I have read occasional use of >B5 will not void the warranty with the keyword being occasional. For me, occasional is only in an emergency situation where B5 or less is not available. I would start looking for fuel while I still had enough in the tank to allow me the flexibility to look elsewhere in case my first stop did not have B5 or less.
Holly Smokes - Owning a diesel... is beginning to sound near impossible to meet all of the constantly deepening fuel, oil, exhaust-product and other "means" criteria.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:40 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post
Holly Smokes - Owning a diesel... is beginning to sound near impossible to meet all of the constantly deepening fuel, oil, exhaust-product and other "means" criteria.
And there is nothing to stop Mercedes to accuse you of whatever they fabricate up so they don't honor their warranty . I went through that type of episode with a new BMW R1200RT motorcycle , ( bad computer ruined engine by 6K mi. ) which I ultimately won a Federal Court Lemon Law case because the Federal Court caught BMW lying to them !
( keep ALL service documentation , WITH DATES ! )
TourNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:50 AM   #61

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourNut View Post
And there is nothing to stop Mercedes to accuse you of whatever they fabricate up so they don't honor their warranty . I went through that type of episode with a new BMW R1200RT motorcycle , ( bad computer ruined engine by 6K mi. ) which I ultimately won a Federal Court Lemon Law case because the Federal Court caught BMW lying to them !
( keep ALL service documentation , WITH DATES ! )
Yeah, but running with the recommended fuel shouldn't hurt the motor. If something happened which was unrelated, Mercedes would have a tough time suggesting that a high percentage of biodiesel was used and caused the problem.
I certainly see your point though. I've had Honda tell me that a power steering pump failed because of Pennsylvania salted roads. Of course they couldn't prove it and paid for it anyway. Guess they all can be like that.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:53 AM   #62

Had a domestic branded vehicle with less than 15K miles that first started drinking oil, was told its normal top it off, OK I said but this is a mid 1980s vehicle not mid1960s (a great vintage by the way!). I fed it oil at every tankup then it started drinking radiator fluid, took it in they said well you gotta maintain that level too, so I did. One day I was pulling into the dealer with a plume behind my gleaming gold spaceship wagon which now had such a drinking problem it was gulping gasoline, tranny fluid, radiator fluid and oil and laying a plume behind it that the heavy lift rockets would be proud to have!

The mechanic told me the engine was shot as was the tranny and I was lucky to have made it to the dealership! Did kinda enjoy the changing smoke/steam patterns as I accelerated down the road! Guess thats what the roll that coal fellows enjoy too by choice! As a service to their twisted view of Nature, God and Nation.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:50 AM   #63

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
^^^The story above is awesome!! Love it!

Tags
diesel, gas