Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2022, 06:13 PM   #1

Gasoline leaking on catalytic converter on driver side

I have a 2007 Winnebago aspect 26. I started it today and smelled gas. I open the hood and didn’t see anything leaking. I looked underneath and on the driver side just above the catalytic converter there was a pretty good gas leak. I ran it about a month ago with no issues, it’s a Ford V 10. It looks like it’s leaking where the engine and transmission bolts together. I tried to get underneath it but it was too hard for me. I was just wondering if I pull off the dog house would I be able to see that leak. Would anybody have any idea what this leak is caused from? Thanks in advance any advice would be greatly appreciate it.
Mike
jeep2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2022, 07:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Wow! You need to get that fixed but you cannot drive it anywhere. The cat gets very hot and you could have a severe fire if you tried to drive it. If you can’t fix it yourself you will have to have a mobile mechanic come take a look or have it towed. Hope everything works out for you.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:13 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
It should be a hard fuel line from the back to the front. Sounds like you have a fuel line that has worn thru somehow. Yes, you should be able to see the fuel line from the doghouse. Absolutely don't drive it anywhere.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:02 PM   #4

The solid fuel line runs along the left frame rail, then up by the transmission bell housing then it turns into a flexible hose and to the fuel rail. You can see it easily with the dog house off. Should be easy to find the leak then. Maybe have an extinguisher near when you start it to see the leak.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:47 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a retired professional mechanic, I just wanted to offer some safety suggestions first.

Anytime you are checking on a fuel leak, have a fire extinguisher there in arms reach.

Do not ever use an electric drop light. Just a drop of gas will pop a hot bulb, instant fire.

Disconnect ground cable at chassis battery.

Helpful way to locate fuel line is look underneath, driver side about even with rear of driver door, in frame rail to find fuel filter. Should be able to see line going forward, across and up towards top of engine. Good flashlight will help.

There are you tubes to help with pulling dog house. Good news is it's wide
open and you get to be right there to find leak. Much harder to get to, in a car or pickup.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:25 AM   #6

I want to thank everyone for there great advice. I am lucky because the motorhome is in the backyard. I was going to put the driver side wheels on top of some bricks 5”-6”. Would it be better to just remove the dog house and forget the bricks. I’m older with some limited mobility so just removing the dog house would be a lot easier for me. We have been having a squirrel problem, do you guys think a squirrel could bite through the fuel line. I will send some pictures tomorrow when I find the problem. I seen the fuel line set for $250.00 and also seen a fuel line repair kit for a lot cheaper. Are these repair kits any good? Thanks again for the great advice. Thanks Mike
Old 07-14-2022, 08:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2001 View Post
I want to thank everyone for there great advice. I am lucky because the motorhome is in the backyard. I was going to put the driver side wheels on top of some bricks 5”-6”. Would it be better to just remove the dog house and forget the bricks. I’m older with some limited mobility so just removing the dog house would be a lot easier for me. We have been having a squirrel problem, do you guys think a squirrel could bite through the fuel line. I will send some pictures tomorrow when I find the problem. I seen the fuel line set for $250.00 and also seen a fuel line repair kit for a lot cheaper. Are these repair kits any good? Thanks again for the great advice. Thanks Mike
The fuel line running from the frame rail up to the fuel rail may be where the problem lies. A hole in it could allow fuel under pressure to squirt towards the engine and then run down.

This is where the leak showed up on my old Jeep. The line transitioned from metal to plastic where it turned to go up to the engine. Upon closer inspection, it was easy to tell the plastic had been chewed. Squirrels everywhere in our yard so I figure one of them was the culprit. I was able to buy that one short section and replace.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:39 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You are working with a high pressure (30 to 50 psi) fuel line, not .uch has changed on the v10 E450 in the past 15 years. Parts are available check rock auto.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't try and patch it, replace it! Yes rodents and squirles will chomp on that stuff!
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 05:45 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the great information and safety advice. I pulled the motorhome on some wood today so I could get underneath it. The leak is getting worst, I only had it running for a few seconds with a fire extinguisher near me. I disconnected the starting battery until I get this fix. The house battery wouldn’t disconnect with the switch so that still is connected. Should I disconnect that battery too at the battery. I took some pictures and will post them. The fuel filer looks dry but the gas leak is coming from a line covered with blue plastic going to the intake manifold. Do you think that line go all the way to the gas filter? The heat shield for the converter is blocking my view. I am planning to remove the dog house but I need another person to help me with that tomorrow. Any thoughts where to from here? Thanks everyone. Sending pictures separately.
Old 07-14-2022, 05:51 PM   #11

Picture of fuel filter and leaking blue gas line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	821D691D-41E4-4FEA-A6A3-C0544DA1463A.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	515.2 KB
ID:	371014

Click image for larger version

Name:	4182483F-A4B9-4503-8393-5ACF6840CA32.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	520.2 KB
ID:	371015
Old 07-14-2022, 06:16 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
To me, it looks like it's wet above the blue plastic, it looks wet on the metal crimp as well. Could just be the flash of the camera too, I guess.
There should be a part number on that line somewhere, you'll probably have to pull the blue plastic cover off to find it.
Old 07-14-2022, 06:30 PM   #13

Thanks Harry, It seems like the gas is running down between the blue plastic and the rubber hose. Do you think that line is on piece that runs from the fuel rail all the way to the filter.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:52 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2001 View Post
You will find the fuel line easier to access once you get the doghouse off. I would recommend you remove the whole line to see what you have. Likely replacement is best in view of the fire hazard.

You will need a tool to release the fuel line couplers. Many auto parts stores loan these with a deposit or purchase one. It is needed to change fuel filter anyway. You may find the release tool in either nylon or aluminum. Get the aluminum, it works better.

Once you have line out, you may well find a Ford part number on it. Even if not, a sample is always good when shopping parts.

I would set the doghouse back in place to keep critters out of coach in mean time. No need to bolt or clamp down.

Now would be a great time for a fuel filter unless it's recent.

Glad you're working safely. Have seen the remains too many times over 50 years.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, converter, driver, gas, leak