Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2019, 10:58 PM   #1

Generator

We just bought a 94 coachmen Catalina 20 foot class C RV and I’m wondering what size generator I should buy for this RV? Also do we need to buy a converter‘s and stuff like that? Any information will Be appreciated thank you
Planodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2019, 12:07 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 .

Are you planning to go boon docking , where you would use a gen set to run an air conditioner ?
Or just to power a microwave for lunches on the road?

If all the RV's systems are working properly , there is already a converter in the unit to charge the RV battery when you're at a site plugged in or running the gen set.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #3

Hopefully just to power the MW, but I guess I may need it to run AC to cool of back of RV while we travel or does the AC run off the battery? I haven’t taken possession of this RV yet, so not real familiar with any of it! Belonged to my sister (for the last 25 years) and now it my turn to roll with it.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #4

The roof A/C unit , requires 120 volt power , BUT, in a 20 foot class C , the dash A/C should keep the interior livable while you're on the road.

To run the roof A/C you'd need a 2500/3000 watt gen set .
Issue then would be where to carry and secure it ; in a short class C; because gen sets are the number one stolen item from RVs.

Question.
Will you be able to park this unit in your yard , or will you have to rent storage space for it ?
If you can get it into your yard , and plug into power from the house , ( you won't be able to run the roof A/C on 15 amp , power from the house) ; but ; you can check out the rest of the systems , and maybe even camp in it for a few nights to get to know your RV.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #5

We will be storing the RV at our house.

Right now my sister has a big lock box on the back of the RV where her Generator is at. I’m not sure of the size, other than she said it’s way to big to put under the RV, that is why I was trying to figure out what size I could get away with in the storage area! I really need the space where the box is for my handicap cart. Will the 2500/3000 watt also run other stuff in the RV (MW, fridge, lights) if I don’t have power?
Old 04-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
The roof A/C unit , requires 120 volt power , BUT, in a 20 foot class C , the dash A/C should keep the interior livable while you're on the road.

To run the roof A/C you'd need a 2500/3000 watt gen set .
Issue then would be where to carry and secure it ; in a short class C; because gen sets are the number one stolen item from RVs.

Question.
Will you be able to park this unit in your yard , or will you have to rent storage space for it ?
If you can get it into your yard , and plug into power from the house , ( you won't be able to run the roof A/C on 15 amp , power from the house) ; but ; you can check out the rest of the systems , and maybe even camp in it for a few nights to get to know your RV.
Typical 13.5 A/C uses only 11 amps. You will be able to run your A/C at home. and a few lights. not much else.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Typical 13.5 A/C uses only 11 amps. You will be able to run your A/C at home. and a few lights. not much else.
Startup surge is much higher than 11 amp
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:37 PM   #8

You could get any 3500 watt generator with a 30 amp connector and it would work great. Look at inverter generators, they’re smaller and pretty quiet.

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...or/p81924.html
Old 04-22-2019, 10:59 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TIP: Start w/ Inventory of Chassis/ Engine/ VIN, then all appliances, Model/ Serial and search Internet for Owner and Service Manuals? Take Pictures as you go, can save jumping up from recliners as you research :-) Create Folders by brand/ Model all under one folder, so you can later transfer all to a Flash Drive :-)
Old 04-23-2019, 05:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
Startup surge is much higher than 11 amp
Well if you think it won't work you had better to explain why not to the 100's of folks doing it in this forum. Start up amps is for just a short period of time and the breaker is designed to hold it long enough to get it started. Also must people doing it have a hard start kit to ease the pain.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:24 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Running the a/c from a 15 amp circuit depends on several factors. Length of run from the breaker box to the outlet, what other items in the house are on the circuit, what type of and length of cord running to RV, and having good solid connections. Will it work ? Sometimes it will sometimes it won't. The only way to know is try it. A lot of people say you can't run two a/c's from a 30 amp circuit but again sometimes it will work sometimes it won't.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Well if you think it won't work you had better to explain why not to the 100's of folks doing it in this forum. Start up amps is for just a short period of time and the breaker is designed to hold it long enough to get it started. Also must people doing it have a hard start kit to ease the pain.
https://generators.smps.us/start.html

Tags
generator