Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2021, 07:49 AM   #1

Generator Shut Off

I am considering putting a shut off valve on my Onan 4K generator and running it until it runs out of gas for storage. When going camping, I would turn fuel back on and use generator. My question is ;
Is this a good idea and would there be a problem priming the generator when trying to start it after storage. Thanks
hpdrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2021, 07:54 AM   #2

I did that on our 1995 Infinity years ago as being in mn it sat for 6 months and enough stabil to treat 75 gal fuel tank was too expensive for my tastes. Put fuel shutoff valve close to the generator. No problems for the 5 more years that we had it.
neub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you remove the cover on the 4k onan, just vdlow the altitude knob there is a screw, that is the float bowl drain, unscrew it counter clockwise about 1 turn and it will drain the carb, tighten screw back up and your done ! To restart hold the stop button in for 15 to 25 seconds, this fills the float bowl back up, then hit start.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:23 AM   #4

Thanks for this info. The screw method may be easier. Will explore this option.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:48 AM   #5

Also, regarding best practices for the Onan RV generators between uses:

Onan recommends running them a bit each month, and I think the reasoning for this goes beyond keeping the gas fresh in the system. I think I've read that the heat from occasional running of it is needed to drive and keep moisture out of it's electrical components and generator windings.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:49 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdrver View Post
I am considering putting a shut off valve on my Onan 4K generator and running it until it runs out of gas for storage. When going camping, I would turn fuel back on and use generator. My question is ;
Is this a good idea and would there be a problem priming the generator when trying to start it after storage. Thanks
Try following wire from Fuel Pump to Fuse and pulling Fuse, might be easier?
Old 04-14-2021, 02:26 PM   #7
chs

Always run generators under a load.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Try following wire from Fuel Pump to Fuse and pulling Fuse, might be easier?
The small generators only have one fuse. Pulling it shuts off everything.

Find the wire and add a switch. Then switch it off to run the carb dry.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:37 PM   #9

I read an article about the using a shutoff
It said a shutoff would restrict fuel flow . It makes a guy wonder
I run ours twice a month so Iím not going to do it
Nobody 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:00 PM   #10

Any added fitting in any fuel system will restrict some flow.

If the correct size fitting is used, the reduction in flow would be negligible.

If you don't want to do it don't, but don't blame fuel restriction.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:49 PM   #11

I found in the manual that Onan recommends draining the bowl as avfordguy stated in his post. I will do this instead of installing the fuel shut off valve.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:39 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I am not a fan of running any engine dry of fuel. Stuff dries out and cracks, leaks at the least opportune time. But I'm also not a fan of putting a motohome, gas or diesel, lawn mower, generator, golf cart, car away for 6 months at a time without running it. Seems like mild use keeps it best. My Hybrid car sits al winter while I am gone. Someone starts it every month. Everything else gets used.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Also, regarding best practices for the Onan RV generators between uses:

Onan recommends running them a bit each month, and I think the reasoning for this goes beyond keeping the gas fresh in the system. I think I've read that the heat from occasional running of it is needed to drive and keep moisture out of it's electrical components and generator windings.

This is true, it is recommended by them, itís really to keep any moisture out. I would never drain my carb, or put a shut off valve because of there own recommendations.
gljurczyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:25 AM   #14

I might think about draining the carb if I knew things would sit for six or more months. Otherwise, nope, would never consider the idea.

Ours sits in the backyard and get's ran monthly, mainly because the Onan manual suggests it. I know this helps in other ways but in my mind, it's not helping to get "fresh" fuel into the system since the fuel pump pulls the same gasoline, possibly a few months old, from the main tank. I'm still trying to come up with an easy way to remove and replace the fuel every couple of months.

Tags
generator