Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #1

Generator Surging

My 4000 Onan doesn't run at a constant speed, it will change speeds and almost to the point of stalling out, any suggestions ?
Bukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #2

I run some seafoam through mine and it has run good ever since. I also add it to all small engine and they run better. Can't hurt to give it a try.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #3

The altitude setting/adjustment might not be set right.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
The altitude setting/adjustment might not be set right.
That's what I thought while reading the title of this thread.

Bukiman, if you don't know what that is, remove the front panel of your Onan and look at the carb. The adjustment looks like this. Grab the black knob and set it roughly to your current altitude. Sea level is 0, Denver CO is 5000, you get the idea.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #5

Generator

Thanks, I'll try both if need be
Bukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
every time. Didn't post what year and hrs,seafoam website has info on how to correct 90% of time it's a carb issue, not enough use
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:23 PM   #7

Try adjusting first but I had to clean out my carb. Make sure you blow out the main jet.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:50 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
re: GEN Surging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukiman View Post
My 4000 Onan doesn't run at a constant speed, it will change speeds and almost to the point of stalling out, any suggestions ?
Surging is a symptom of LEAN mixture; mine (18yo/ 220-hr/ GEN) would surge when first started, jiggling altitude adjustment back/ forth 10-20x wud help and then reset to 0 (richest); experience later found that it would SURGE/ DIE after 20-45-minutes, and not restart until cooled... and FUEL PUMP REPLACEMENT ($28 AMAZON) seems to have cured, with a successful 2-hour test run after. The other symptom that points to fuel issue was again SURGING BEFORE DYING **. I (now) suspect the initial surge was low fuel in float bowl, caused by fuel pump failure during previous run, leaving bowl dry? Fuel filter was tested and found clear/ free flowing. (*** Oil Pressure or Ignition issues should normally die immediately without surging) Luck to you. p.s. There are (some discussions) on some websites about overheat/ ventilation being the cause, (e.g. adding door vents) but if this is true, a test run with the GEN access DOOR OPEN will result in long run with no failure/ no surge? I suspect this is NOT the case... was NOT for me.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:50 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought an older (07) classic with a 4 k onan with only 25 hrs on it, dealer said they replaced the carb( yah right) constant surge, mixed seafoam 50/50with gas, ran it only on the spare gas can at 50-70% load let it sit for 30 mi utes and restarted, bunch of crap came out of tailpipe, filled by a smooth running generator, took load off and manually made the engine go to idle, about 10 times, ever since then 4k has started a performed well, you bay have to adjust the idle stop screw as mine was way out of adjustment, run with no load and adjust screw as o that it has .040 inches from carb cam to screw.
Hope this helps
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #10

Wink Fuel Filter

Try replacing the fuel filter, if it is dirty/clogging up it will generate {sorry I could not resist} the surging you describe.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator