Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #1

Good Used Class C Motorhome

I think my wife and I caught the RV bug. We were thinking a Class C probably a 26' would suit our needs. However, we don't want to buy a new one and are thinking of getting a used one. Is there a particular year, manufacturer, and model that is favored by many owners?
adalnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #2

Have you camped in a class C before? If not, you may want to rent one for the weekend to see if it is what you want. Check your local availability and go visit a few - test drive them, imagine spending a rainy day in them, imagine cooking dinner in them...there are checklists here that can help you with your inspection and you should check pricing at New Car Prices, Used Car Values, New Car Reviews & Car Buying Guides - NADAguides.com Official Site. Have fun in your search!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
adalnay,

I really liked our Fleetwood Jamboree 32-M. They started making them in '05 and that was the year we bought it. It's a little longer than what you state but the floor plan was great...especially for two people. The Tioga was the same.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You're smart in buying a used Class C. Why pay the depreciation when there are thousands of like new units out there for sale?
Some advice, FWIW; think about how you want to use your motorhome. Are you and your wife RV park people? Or do you want to explore out of the way State and National Parks? A lot of older State parks were built in the 50's and 60's when RVs were small and tent camping was prevalent. If you anticipate spending most of your time in commercial RV parks, consider a used Class A. Maneuverability is not so much an issue and the extra room will be appreciated.
If it's just you and your wife and no kids traveling the country and staying in State parks, a Class C may make more sense. Being able to visit some beautiful remote park designed for a 28' maximum length is why we went with our 27' Aspect.
Another thing is to be sure to check out the cab overhang (rugrat room) if the unit you buy has one. They all leak at some time or other, even the late model ones and often the leak isn't noticed until significant damage has been done. Avoid units with front-facing windows above.
Hope this helps!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
My wife and I purchased a used 2006 Winnebago Aspect 26A. We really like it as it has plenty of room for the two of us. We have had 2 5yr old Grand children with us for a weekend and they used the dinnete bed a it worked well. We like the manueverability of it...can park most anywhere and it handles well. The only thing we would like is a walkaround bed, and that will be in the next unit we buy...in a few years. Good luck with your search.
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Before you buy, do your homework. We were looking for a used class C, too, but we found that most sellers were upside down on their notes and the NADA value of their RVs was a good deal less than what they were asking to pay off their notes.

If the price is too high, a lender will not finance you. So if you are looking to buy used, you might have to pay cash or a big down payment. This is what we experienced.

We found a brand new unit that was less than what a lot of people were asking for used ones. It's one year old now and we are thrilled with it.

Just because a unit is used, does not mean you are saving any money. Be vigilant!
kelliepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:03 AM   #7

From experience I have to agree about renting first. I did such, and realized I did not want the rear queen floor plan. This is the most popular floor plan in the smaller class C's and would have been disappointed had I purchased an RV with such. The forward situated entry door also caused a bottle neck in the middle when people were trying to cook.
I just bought a 2002 with 30K miles in excellent condition for 1/4 of what it was new. So there are deals out there. I searched ebay, RV Online, RV Trader, and RVT.com for months before finding the right one.
EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #8

If you live in FL or are willing to come to Fl My friend has a beautiful class C that he is selling for what he owes on it (I think around $23,000). Looks brand new. There are a lot of good deals like that out there now. Good luck!
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
We just upgraded from a Toyota chassis (1991) 22 foot to a 2001 fleetwood jamboree 24 foot with the rear corner bed and 18k miles. If you want a walk around bed in the back, it typically needs to be 26 feet or have a slide out. Personally, we are in a high rain area and I wanted to avoid a slide due to potential water and other issues as the RV ages. Also, several of the parks we visit have more narrow spots, so the slide causes challenges. Finally, having no slide allows for a lighter vehicle and greater tow capacity if you ever want to tow a boat or small car.

Nothing against slides, just that I don't intend to buy a rig with them until I can afford a nearly new one.

If you buy a late 90's and newer, the fuel systems are better, more horsepower (typically), metal / aluminum frame studs instead of wood, pex plumbing (longer lasting and less susceptible to breakage if frozen), and the propane systems have overflow prevention devices.

I agree that the cabover area is very important to make sure that there are no leaks. I tried to avoid a front window model, but found a good deal on one that has one that has never leaked.

Just like your home, these need to be maintained and regularly re-sealed/inspected.

Keep an eye out for potential leaks in the bathroom area as well and take a look at the roof and the sealant around the items on the roof (vents, etc. ). If you see delamination of the sidewall below the windows, walk away from the vehicle.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome