Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2022, 05:16 PM   #1

Gray Tank Emptying Issue

Our gray tank is recently not fully emptying. If I'm 2/3 full or even if the gauge/meter says FULL, the gauge doesn't go to EMPTY after dumping. After dumping, I still see 1/3 full and sometimes there's no change at all. For instance, tonight I dumped the gray water when the gauge said 2/3 full and after dumping it still said 2/3 full. I know this issue well with the black tank. I know that toilet tissue or solids can get on the sensors and cause inaccurate readings on the inside gauge. When that happens, I do a black tank rinse and I can get the gauge to read EMPTY. So I get that. However, I can't rinse the gray tank and what could bind to a sensor anyway? A few days ago, after dumping both tanks, I put Happy Camper into both the black tank (as usual) and the grey tank via the kitchen sink, as well. Still, I'm having issues with the gauge seemingly not providing accurate readings. I plan to bring it in for service when we get back home but is there anybody who's had this issue with the gray tank before?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2022, 05:30 PM   #2

Gray water has sensor fouling contaminants in just as black water tanks, only a different composition.

I’ve posted numerous times on this board about what it takes to get the sensors cleaned and how the process works.

The search box above is your friend.
Old 09-06-2022, 05:37 PM   #3

Okay, thanks!
Old 09-06-2022, 05:42 PM   #4

MrMark has some good suggestions if you search for them.

I had the usual problem with my black tank sensors still reading 1/3 or 2/3 full immediately after dumping. I installed a tornado tank flush (cost ~$40) to my black tank and it solved the problem (and allows me to eliminate the issue much quicker/easier when it happens). There is no reason why it wouldn't also work with your gray tank sensors. Good luck!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/torn...nk-570507.html

Happy dumping!
Chris
SJ-Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 07:20 PM   #5

We had our tanks cleaned at the Coachmen Rally this summer. One thing they said was that the sensors can get corroded but usually are just gummed up from all the soap. They recommended that on our next trip fill the tanks to about 1/3 full and pit Calgon bath beads in the tanks let them set for about 30 minutes then drive. The sloshing around will help clean the sensors and loosen up any thing stuck on the bottom. This also works in the black water tank with toilet paper and other material that doesn't get completely dumped. On our last trip they showed 1/2 full even after a tank flush so I did the above and when we arrived home and I dumped both tanks they dumped showed empty.
John58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 03:28 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjschocken View Post
Our gray tank is recently not fully emptying. If I'm 2/3 full or even if the gauge/meter says FULL, the gauge doesn't go to EMPTY after dumping. After dumping, I still see 1/3 full and sometimes there's no change at all. For instance, tonight I dumped the gray water when the gauge said 2/3 full and after dumping it still said 2/3 full. I know this issue well with the black tank. I know that toilet tissue or solids can get on the sensors and cause inaccurate readings on the inside gauge. When that happens, I do a black tank rinse and I can get the gauge to read EMPTY. So I get that. However, I can't rinse the gray tank and what could bind to a sensor anyway? A few days ago, after dumping both tanks, I put Happy Camper into both the black tank (as usual) and the grey tank via the kitchen sink, as well. Still, I'm having issues with the gauge seemingly not providing accurate readings. I plan to bring it in for service when we get back home but is there anybody who's had this issue with the gray tank before?
I installed a SeeLevel system. The install is a PITA but it does give much more accurate readings. Frankly, I'm not sure I would go to the trouble again. The stock sensors provide adequate information but definitely will have you scratching your head sometimes! All you really need to know is when a tank is approaching full. The stock fluid level system will give you a pretty good idea of the level which you can sometimes verify visually, at least with the black tank on my 25RW Wayfarer. When in doubt, dump. And remember, the stock sensor system only indicates in thirds. So, if the bottom sensor senses any fluid, your display will show a 1/3 full tank. Also, I don't think there are any sensors on the inside of the tanks. The stick on sensors are on the outside. You may want to relocate the sensors to get more accurate readings, especially if you have oddly shaped tanks - search the files section - but you should ask yourself if it's really worth the effort.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 06:37 AM   #7

Thanks. Do you dissolve beads first? We’ll try it when we leave current site.
Old 09-17-2022, 07:40 AM   #8

Just dump them in - they’ll dissolve. If any sticks to the bowl, just hydrate and flush down.

Tags
gray tank, tank