Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2016, 12:17 PM   #1

Greyhawk vs Thor Quantum

Looking to buy a bunk house. Any advice on the difference between the Jayco Greyhawk and the Thor Quantum. Als, is ther that much difference between the Quantum and Chateau.
Wthiggins180
Wthiggins280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
WDW

Greyhawk vs Thor Quantum

I can only tell you we liked our Greyhawk a lot. It was well built and the two year warranty was a safety net.

However, in our 31FK the electric compartment was under the bed. It generated heat, noise and concern. Had we discovered it before we bought, we probably would have made other choices. It was dangerous mess.

Our second choice would be a Forest River product. But never a Thor product. Our dislike relates to the regional dealer is not in our quality world.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:03 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
We fell in love with the 31FK yesterday. Your note about the power under the bed has me thinking. In our tiny Jayco trailer the hot water heater is under the dinette and it generates heat. How does this compare in your bed? The noise isn't an issue...we prefer noise when we sleep.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wthiggins280 View Post
Looking to buy a bunk house. Any advice on the difference between the Jayco Greyhawk and the Thor Quantum. Als, is ther that much difference between the Quantum and Chateau.
Wthiggins180
We are not looking at bunkhouses specifically but we have. We Like them too. We love the floor plan of the quantum, and the cabinets, and decor. However you could feel a difference in the quality. I wanted something "fancier" but I couldn't go with the quantum. It didn't feel "right" in any of them.

We are sticking with the 2 year warranty in the Jayco.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:38 PM   #5

We have really enjoyed our 31FK. The noise under the bed is minimal but noticeable but I guess we are used to it. I have not noticed any heat generation from it. I wonder why you think it is dangerous. Should we be concerned?
SteviePatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteviePatt View Post
We have really enjoyed our 31FK. The noise under the bed is minimal but noticeable but I guess we are used to it. I have not noticed any heat generation from it. I wonder why you think it is dangerous. Should we be concerned?
WDW posted about it above...made me worry...maybe needlessly?
Old 10-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Comparison posts - "Brand X or Brand Y" can be much less productive than asking for feedback in the separate owner Forums:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f113/ For Jayco.
And
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/ For Thor.

It is noteworthy that Jayco is now part of Thor Industries, just like Thor Motor Coach is the business unit of Thor Industries for the FourWinds//Chateau/Quantum. Thor uses a decentralized management business model, so while all these RV's share many internal systems and chassis, there will be individual differences that will make a difference to buyers.

We recommend taking your time (don't rush into a selection) and shop around for the RV that fits your desires best.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:54 PM   #8
WDW

Greyhawk vs Thor Quantum

My intention was to,inform you of something we found uncomfortable. My advice is to inspect one. ask them to remove the screws so you can see what's there. If you are comfortable with their craftsmanship then enjoy! The 31 FK I a tremendous floor plan.

To clarify our experience, we found construction waste in the compartment. We doing an upgrade for a EMS our Jayco tech found that some wires were poorly connected and had the potential to cause a problem.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
My intention was to,inform you of something we found uncomfortable. My advice is to inspect one. ask them to remove the screws so you can see what's there. If you are comfortable with their craftsmanship then enjoy! The 31 FK I a tremendous floor plan.

To clarify our experience, we found construction waste in the compartment. We doing an upgrade for a EMS our Jayco tech found that some wires were poorly connected and had the potential to cause a problem.
I appreciate that
Old 11-14-2016, 10:14 AM   #10

I went with the thor, but the super-c. It has the same decor as the quantum, which we loved.

Ours is a bunkhouse. Has the extra room. I like the outdoor kitchen the most.

Tags
thor