Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2022, 02:21 AM   #1

Hall Effect Sensor Help!!!

Hi all, I have a problem with my slide out Lippert motors (P/N 236575), as can be seen from the attached pics, the magnetic disk on top of the motor was touching the Hall Effect sensors on the circuit board and the sensors are not functioning anymore.

I am trying to order these sensors, but my problem is that I couldn't find any writing for the part number on the sensor due to the friction with magnetic disk. I have checked most of the threads WRT the Hall sensors and they refer to the Honeywell 785-SS41, but the sensors & the circuit boards are different from the one I have, I guess the one I have is the later version. The sensor on my board are Surface Mount Device (SMD) type.

Anyone has a similar circuit board and sensors or part number for this sensor???

I appreciate your assistance & help in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9d4060d1-80d5-4bed-8d1d-674fab5bc022.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	381409   Click image for larger version

Name:	696ac36c-5aa2-4c04-83c1-749a20a21fd6.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	381410  

Name:	148933f7-5ff7-4426-a362-199ef44255cb.JPG
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	381411   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4493.jpg
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	381412  

JAGUAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2022, 05:09 PM   #2

I think that's called an SOT23 package. Maybe that helps with the googling.
DonaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 05:25 PM   #3

I changed a couple of the Hall effect sensors but as you say my board is the older design, my sensors are mounted in plastic holders.
Sorry not really much help on the new ones.

Name:	IMG_7300.jpg
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	381445

Name:	IMG_E7299.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	381446
Old 11-23-2022, 11:50 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Better off just to replace the entire motor. If it happened once it will happen again.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBarb View Post
Better off just to replace the entire motor. If it happened once it will happen again.

The replacement Honeywell Hall effect sensors are a much better quality than the ones originally used.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:42 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
To be more exact, these motors are mass produced with many quality and tolerance tests.

Electrical components especially are stress tested to many times at both the component level and assembly level to insure reliability. If an electrical component passed the test, I would look first at mechanical tolerances.

It was already noted that there was a mechanical failure. Sometimes things look fine under no load but when a motor is put under load and flexes different things can happen. I have considerable experience with electrical motors. I have seen things get scratched and heard things squeal under load. When turning the motor by hand it looks fine. Power it up with no load and life is grand. Put it under load and it fails.

I stand by my original statement. Better off just to replace the entire motor. If it happened once it will happen again. I have scrapped motors costing hundreds of dollars for this reason.
Old 11-27-2022, 10:02 AM   #7

Quote:
To be more exact, these motors are mass produced with many quality and tolerance tests.

Electrical components especially are stress tested to many times at both the component level and assembly level to insure reliability. If an electrical component passed the test, I would look first at mechanical tolerances.

It was already noted that there was a mechanical failure. Sometimes things look fine under no load but when a motor is put under load and flexes different things can happen. I have considerable experience with electrical motors. I have seen things get scratched and heard things squeal under load. When turning the motor by hand it looks fine. Power it up with no load and life is grand. Put it under load and it fails.

I stand by my original statement. Better off just to replace the entire motor. If it happened once it will happen again. I have scrapped motors costing hundreds of dollars for this reason.

On the ones I repaired the motors still work fine, the defective Hall sensors limit the load causing the slides to stall.
They will still operate by manually overriding the limits on the controller.
There are no moving parts that fail, it is a simple can motor, the magnet spins on the end of the motor shaft between the sensors.
I also have experience with electric motors Iíve been racing RC nationally for 35+ years, before brushless motors it was crazy. cutting comms, custom cut brushes, different brush springs for different tracks, building computer matched batteries packs. All against fully sponsored factory drivers.
Thatís when I switched to boats

Name:	IMG_9234.jpg
Size:	449.9 KB
ID:	381599
Old 11-27-2022, 03:48 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
The hall effect is for electronic commutation. A solid-state system replaces a mechanical commutator, i.e. split rings and brushes it. The hall effect senses the position of a permanent magnet rotor and with solid state devices the polarity of the stator coils are switched. The hall effects are for much more than just limiting current.
Mechanically it is much simpler motor but electrically much more complicated.

As noted in the original post scratches and abrasion was already detected. There are all kinds of tolerances like how strait the motor shaft is, how well matched are the bushings, and many, many more. If it mechanically damages the hall effects, it will do it again.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaC View Post
I think that's called an SOT23 package. Maybe that helps with the googling.
Thanks
I am still trying to find the correct one.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:17 AM   #10

Quote:

You are right, some scratches on the external surface of the motor. I think the workshop who did the installation of this motor for the PO didn't do a good job, even the screw that holds the motor down was damaged and that is why (I think) had caused the magnetic disk to contact and damage the Hall Effect sensors.

Simple Rule during maintenance or troubleshooting is, start with the cheapest and the simplest first. Thus, if I can find the correct sensor, it is not going to cost more than $5 or $10.

On the other hand, the motor is working under load with no issues, this is when I bypassed the control signals that includes the signals from the Hall sensors.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
On the ones I repaired the motors still work fine, the defective Hall sensors limit the load causing the slides to stall.
They will still operate by manually overriding the limits on the controller.
There are no moving parts that fail, it is a simple can motor, the magnet spins on the end of the motor shaft between the sensors.
I also have experience with electric motors Iíve been racing RC nationally for 35+ years, before brushless motors it was crazy. cutting comms, custom cut brushes, different brush springs for different tracks, building computer matched batteries packs. All against fully sponsored factory drivers.
Thatís when I switched to boats
Attachment 381599
That is correct, the slide stalls due to bad sensors.
I have removed the other end motor and had luck to note down the number stamped on the sensor as can be seen on the attached pics.

I gooled them but no luck. code is 119D
I need to find out what are the differences between these sensor types becuase I found online some are linear and some are position and some other types.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-4803.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	551.1 KB
ID:	381770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4806.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	466.4 KB
ID:	381771  

Name:	IMG-4805.jpg