Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2021, 09:28 PM   #1

Have a TT now, considering moving to a Class C. What are the plus/minuses?

Curious to hear about others who have gone from a TT to a Class C, what are the plusses and/or minuses? The way we’re looking at it, it would seem faster to set up and tear down, access to the kitchen/bathroom while driving, and not having to back a trailer into tight spots.

I’m sure I am overlooking a lot, is maintenance on the Class C a big deal? What’s the opinion of the IRV2 experts?
Jayc71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2021, 04:49 AM   #2

I did this early this year. Before this new Class C, I had three trailers, over a span of 30 years. I ordered in October 2020 and took delivery in February. Of course, all of this is subject to personal opinion:

Pluses:
* It's easier to USE the RV while on the road (bathroom, refrigerator, counters, etc.).
* Camp setup and teardown is simpler and faster.
* Can take a more fuel-efficient 2nd vehicle (pulled behind the RV) for day trips.
* That 2nd vehicle can also be smaller, which can make it easier to get to certain types of trailheads. (Important to me.)
* The kids love having a table while on the road.
* Less "movement" on the road. (Being pushed around by passing trucks. The towed vehicle tows like it's not back there.) Just makes for a more comfortable driving experience in that sense.
* Can be less expensive if you don't already have a vehicle appropriate for pulling a trailer and wouldn't otherwise buy one.

Cons:
* Noisier in the cabin while driving. Both road and engine noise, as well as noise from stuff being bounced in cabinets on bumpy roads. (Neither is as bad as I feared though.)
* Rear seating has only lapbelts without any head restraints, which would definitely be less safe in an accident.
* Another engine to maintain.
* More expensive, if you already have an appropriate vehicle for pulling a trailer.

Would I go back? NO! Overall, I by far prefer the Class C to my TTs. Mine is still pretty new, so I can't really comment on maintenance over time.
Old 11-12-2021, 05:29 AM   #3

We have a 2019 class c 25 foot and love it. Switched from tt so dw could assist in the driving. We do not tow a vehicle, we use enterprise rental at our destinations, they are great,pick you up and take you back to cg. Or just take the coach if rental not avail. Did not get power levelers, easy to level manually.on issue is lack of outside storage but realized i did not need all the stuff anyway. Please feel free to respond with any questions
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:21 AM   #4

Pretty much what everyone has mentioned above. We went from a 24' TT to a 24' C and wouldn't go back.

One further point. A lot of people have a tow vehicle that is much larger than they need as a daily driver, or even have a second vehicle for just towing. We're re-evaluating our fleet now and will probably downsize or eliminate one vehicle.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:39 PM   #5

Our arrangement was purchased to accommodate two senior citizens, not a family, so keep this in-mind.

Our 2007 Phoenix Cruiser 2350 class B+ rig (CLICK HERE FOR PICTURES) is less than 24 feet long. We used to tow 4-wheels-down, a tiny Toyota MR2 Spyder convertible. After two years of that, in 2009 we switched tow vehicles to a 2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4 which we still tow today.

For us, it's a sweet arrangement. The mobility of a short 4x4 works well in the places we travel, and it's 4x4 capabilities gets us to places we would have otherwise missed. We travel with the rear seat folded flat which provides a lot of extra storage for things that have no place in our motorhome, for example our golf clubs. This past trip, we even slept fully lying down in the back of our Liberty one night, proof we can do it for when exploring overnight down inside Canyonlands National Park. We just need a comfortable bed roll for it to work right.

As I see it, the only draw-back to our arrangement is backing up while towing.....it just doesn't work. It's a limitation everyone has regardless of what they tow 4-wheels-down. Trailering a tow vehicle permits backing up, but then you are not so different as someone towing a travel trailer.

Regarding noises and rattles in the house while driving the motorhome, it takes a lot of determination to chase them down. It took me some years to get the house quiet enough to my satisfaction. With my wife driving, I would go around, listen to, and write down every noise source. During off-season, I would do my best to address them. I got pretty good at making significant improvements. Family and friends who own or rented their own motorhomes and have ridden in ours, are quite impressed with the lack of thrashing.

Our 23'-8" motorhome and 14'-6" Liberty, have never been a problem parking in camp sites. We always manage to fit both no matter how small the provision.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:09 PM   #6

I never had a TT to move from, but I’ve owned a Class C since 2009. It’s pretty much just me now; not really the wife’s thing.

All I can offer is you cannot back up while towing a vehicle 4 down so plan accordingly in tight quarters or gas stations.

Go bigger than what you think you’ll need to be comfortable. My salesman cautioned us on that and he was right. We had a rig in mind that was just big enough for two but it wouldn’t have taken long for the space to be filled up with necessities and no place to put them.

Mine is 30’ and I can’t imagine having the 24 footer we had decided on originally.

Look at it like a glorified tent. When they say it’s comfortable for “X” people, double it.
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:47 AM   #7

We currently have a 24’ class C motor home & LOVE it. We don’t tow a car so when we get to our destination we do our sightseeing before we setup camp. We also have e bikes that have a 40+ mile battery range for tooling around on. We’ve owned a pop up tent trailer, 27’ 5th wheel, 27’ travel trailer, 34’ class A motor home but like our 24’ class C best. It’s easier to get around in and setup. (I do miss the auto leveling system on the class A) it also takes less space to park at home & has plenty of room for 2 old people & a dog. (24’ with a full wall slide)
Smitty55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:34 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies everyone, super helpful stuff! We have gotten better with setting up and packing up the TT over time, but it still seems to us like a C (or even a small A) would save time and you all have confirmed that. I hadn't really considered the noise of stuff in the cabin, seems like that is fixable though with some ingenuity and effort. Also my wife needs to stay well hydrated due to some circulation issues, so we'll just say that access to the kitchen and bathroom while on the road would save a lot of stops.

I do have a RAM 2500 truck for towing the TT that I love and I'd hate to have to trade it in for something smaller, but that's life so if it happens it happens. I'm planning to get a Jeep Wrangler in the very near future, so we'd likely be flat towing that behind whatever rig we end up upgrading to.
Jayc71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:28 PM   #9

We downsized from a 35’ Class A with a toad to a 25’ Class C.
Don’t need a toad anymore, but kept it as our daily driver, along with all the hardware to still bring it if we ever choose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	415A0BC5-F31D-425E-86CD-471A1D647FA0.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	348946   Click image for larger version

Name:	43F417EC-A359-4AF4-891E-E43F5B94D667.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	348947  

kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:18 PM   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2037.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	354836 We wouldn’t hit the road without our toad.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh2obury View Post
Attachment 354836 We wouldn’t hit the road without our toad.
Same here.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:42 AM   #12

We upgraded about a year ago from a 20' T/T to a 2021 25' Thor Axis Class A which has the same layout and interior room as many Class Cs. This is what we found:

We camp in rustic SP, NP and USFS sites and backing in has been about the same as with our T/T. Our TV and T/T had a sharper turning radius that helped me get into tight spots but the MH is so much simpler. My wife could back the MH but not the T/T.

Setting up is more difficult but not terribly onerous. You can level the T/T fore and aft with the tongue jack which is all you need in most sites. The MH requires either hydraulic jacks which I don't have or heavy leveling ramps which work ok for us.

The differences in interior room are mostly due to size. If I had a 25' T/T it would even have more interior room than our 25' Axis.

We don't tow a toad and that hasn't been much of a problem. Going places in the MH or renting a car would solve most issues of transportation.

I do all of the driving and my wife refuses for good reason to go back to the head while we are moving, so no real difference vs a vs the T/T.

I do all of my own maintenance and so far, the MH has required ten times the time to fix things that were discovered wrong after delivery or go wrong in usage than the T/T. A MH is inherently much more complex than a T/T with more to be assembled incorrectly and more to go wrong.

Gas milage with the new Ford V8 is surprisingly good- 12 mpg which isn't much different than our TV and T/T combination. A diesel Class C would be even better but may have its own unique problems like the DEF and DPF systems that can go wrong.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:10 AM   #13

Jayc71,

When driving a motorhome of any class while towing any kind of "vehicle", you cannot back-up. So keep that in-mind if you plan on towing a second vehicle for day excursions like we do.

We average once per month-long trip where we get into some kind of "pickle", 50% of the time it will be at a gas station where we have to quickly separate the two vehicles to get out of the jamb, then re-hook in a near by open area or curb-side.

If everything was in perfect straight alignment, you might be able to go straight back as much as 20 feet until the tow vehicle looses alignment. Backing up while in a turn is surely impossible. And don't even think of having your spouse in the tow vehicle to help steer. Been there, done that, total failure.

That would be my only complaint in towing another vehicle.

Backing up is the same as your current situation with a trailer.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:11 AM   #14

Pros:
1. Great for the kids/wife. They can use the restroom at will, grab a snack, my wife can even make full on lunch if we're on a deadline to make a destination before dark, etc...
2. We're a family of 6 so the class C allows for them to spread out a little and not be so cooped up like a cab of a tow vehicle. It helps them "fight" less when traveling.
3. Simple set up. Especially with auto levelers. Press a button, attach electric/water/sewer and you're good to go. Set ups with our previous toy haulers and travel trailers was quite a bit more expensive and harder to level.
4. Something a little more specific to our type of travel, but we do a lot of multi day travel to off road/ATV riding destinations. With the Class C, we can stop over at a campground or rest area, grab some sleep and be back on the road. Another group we travel with has to unload the ATVs/Dirt bikes from their toyhauler in order to access their sleeping area.

Cons:
1. The noise level is higher. Even though our Redhawk is nearly new, it's still a house going down the road. Whether it's a rattling door, cabinet, pot, pan, etc.., the noise is greater.
2. Cost is more. Insurance is more and maintenance cost is more. You have to take that into account when wanting to purchase one.
3. Unless you tow a vehicle, you can't access some places. This can be solved easily by towing a vehicle, which we tow our jeep, but we also travel to ATV/Off road destinations where I pull our enclosed trailer with the toys. This limits us to travel when we go on those trips. It's fine and we plan on it but on more than one occasion, Iv'e ruined dinner and we had to go out and take the whole RV.

Would I ever go back to a travel trailer or toy hauler? Probably not. We enjoy this set up too much and have done the other options in the past and wasn't a fan.

Andrew
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c