Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2018, 11:32 PM   #1

Have You Had Your MH Towed ?

I’ve never needed a tow yet but wonder how a long class c can be towed. If from the front the long overhang (my Gulfstream is 32’6”) would hit before front was lifted far and I would have serious concerns about trying to lift from the rear with the long overhang . I thought a large rollback truck but still the rear would hit before the rear wheels hit the ramp. If you have had a long unit towed please tell me how it was done - inquiring minds want to know!
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2018, 07:23 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Generally MHs are towed from the front - even the big class As. Just make sure that the driver disconnects the drive shaft before you start rolling.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Had my 31' Class C towed, they did it from the front. I was a little concerned about the back hitting but it did OK.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #4

Ours was towed from the front. They had a lift with arms that went around the front wheels. The operator did disconnect the drive shaft and used the lift to raise it high enough to do so. I think this picture was taken while he was doing that and that the front may have been lower in transit. But probably not much lower. At any rate, a longer MH would also have a longer wheelbase than we do so I doubt the rear would be closer to the ground.
FWIT, the tow was about 70 miles and the tow truck was an F-650 with a Powerstroke diesel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TowRig.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	229107  
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #5

Twice I thought I would have to get it towed (same issue). First time I was able to get a mobile mechanic to come out and second time I got it moving myself and drove it to the shop.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:06 PM   #6

I had a 2000, 30 ft, Gulfstream.

Although most long class Cs taper up in the rear, this one was straight back.

It had drag shoes on the rear that hit going in and out of almost every gas station.

You could never tow it from the rear with the 13 ft overhang. The chassis extensions would probably fail and wrinkle the sidewalls.

Didn't need it towed but to tow it they would only be able to lift the front a very few inches before the rear dragged.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:10 PM   #7

On an E350 or E450, is there a recommended towing distance before disconnecting the drive shaft? Why isn't putting the transmission in neutral enough? My 2007 owner's manual does not mention removing the drive shaft during a tow. It only says to use a flat bed or front wheel grabbing tow truck. Not a tow truck with a sling.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:09 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you dont remove driveshaft,transmission damage occurs, due to front pump on trans is not turning,no lubrication,you have to remove the driveshaft for any distance.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:18 PM   #9

Depending where you are they may choose to flat bed it. The issue is overall height. Some places have better clearances than others.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
If you dont remove driveshaft,transmission damage occurs, due to front pump on trans is not turning,no lubrication,you have to remove the driveshaft for any distance.
I wonder why there is no mention of it in the owners manual. Maybe it does not apply to TorqShift model year 2007.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:55 PM   #11

Kinda long, but here is a vid on towing a large Class A. The tow truck is using a Landoll Traveling Axle Trailer. The axle carriage of the trailer slides forward under the trailer and the at the same time, the front tips up, making for a very shallow angle for loading. Excellent for forklifts, man lifts, motor homes, etc.

You tube video...........
Vacation Ruined! Towing A 40 Ft Diesel Pusher!

http://landoll.com/home/products/tra...ers/model-317/

Scroll to the bottom to see a video on how the trailer operates. Every towing company that moves large vehicles should be using this.

Charles
Old 12-16-2018, 07:14 PM   #12

From the 2016 Owners manual for the F-53 stripped chassis

:TOWING THE VEHICLE ON
FOUR WHEELS
Emergency Towing
WARNING
If your vehicle has a steering wheel
lock make sure the ignition is in the
accessory or on position when being
towed.
If your vehicle becomes inoperable
(without access to wheel dollies,
car-hauling trailer, or flatbed transport
vehicle), it can be flat-towed (all wheels
on the ground, regardless of the powertrain
and transmission configuration) under the
following conditions:

Your vehicle is facing forward for
towing in a forward direction.

Place the transmission in position
N
. If
you cannot move the transmission into
N
, you may need to override it.

Maximum speed is 35 mph (56 km/h).

Maximum distance is
50 mi (80km).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
I wonder why there is no mention of it in the owners manual. Maybe it does not apply to TorqShift model year 2007.
It would be in the owners manual for the F53 chassis.
I have had my 2000 F53 towed, lifted the front and towed from there, removed a section of the drive shaft. No problems with rear dragging.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #14

been towed 6 times, 3 times with a 38' class A and 3 times with a 42' class A the last time towed the 42' with a 22' enclosed trailer still attached only one time did they break on of the mirrors when backing it up.
always towed from the front
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow