Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Ralph,

We just got back from the Keys. The last overnight for us is usually the Port St. Lucie RV resort which is about 5 hours from the lower keys. Not many easy places to boondock below that.

What route are you taking from Nova Scotia? Ton of traffic on I-95 the past few weeks.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #16

Bluewater is a great place. Ownership there runs about $300,000 so the nightly rate seems to be high but reasonable.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Ralph,

We just got back from the Keys. The last overnight for us is usually the Port St. Lucie RV resort which is about 5 hours from the lower keys. Not many easy places to boondock below that.

What route are you taking from Nova Scotia? Ton of traffic on I-95 the past few weeks.
We are going to take the I 95 all the way. I just want to get out on the open road with the rig. I bought an EZ Pass so I don''t have to wait at all the toll gates. We are getting excited, less than 2 weeks to go! Did you have nice weather? What activities did you partake in down at the Keys? Did you make it to Key West? Thank you for sharing your trip with us.
ralphie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #18

When you get to the Port St. Lucie area you might want to move over to the florida turnpike. Traffic on 95 is hairy at best and it ends in downtown Miami. You then have a long way to go on South Dixie Hwy (US1) to get to overseas Hwy. Lots of lights and city traffic. The turnpike ends just north of Overseas Hwy. It is a good thing you got the sunpass, as they do toll-by-plate and not toll booths. Toll by plate is quite a bit more expensive. Have a good time and drink a chilly one for me. We stay at the sugarloaf KOA every February.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
..... my payment for safer harbor at a nice campground is well worth "cheap" and goes along way for safety for me and those with me. Have a safe trip what ever you choose.
You're very very lucky that nice CGs just happen to be near the interstates you travel when you decide to stop for the night. That's only happened one time for us, in MD about 5 years ago. Since the CG was right by the Interstate we heard the traffic passing by all night.......

Most of the time when we stop for the night we're not interested is looking for CGs in strange locations in the dark... most not being near the Interstates we're on.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Ralph,

'open road' does not equal 'I-95'. Just so you are prepared with I-95 from CT on down:
1. In CT, the road surface is pretty bad
2. 95 takes you through NYC on the Cross Bronx Expressway and the George Washington Bridge. Make sure your follow signs for the UPPER level of the bridge.
3. There is a missing link to I-95 in NJ. You have to get on the NJ Turnpike but that will allow you to bypass Philly.
4. Depending on the time of day, tolls back up in Delaware even if you have an EZPass.
5. In Baltimore, you have to take the Francis Scott Key bridge instead of the tunnel since you have propane.
6. Washington DC is another mess on 95.
7. Construction on I-95 through Richmond and southern VA. Take the I-295 bypass in Richmond.
8. You will then hit some open road in NC, SC, and GA.
9. Jacksonville is a little hairy as 95 curves and splits with I-10.
10. Agree with the previous poster to get on the FL Turnpike instead of 95. I switch over in Ft. Pierce. There is a Flying J for fill up, you go strait out of the exit and follow the road for 2 miles and it leads you right to the Turnpike entrance.

One detour you may consider is:
- take 287 as soon as you get into NY
- that will lead you around NYC to I-78
- take 78 to I-81
- take 81 to I-66 east to Rt. 17 which leads you to 95 in Fredricksburg VA

After that ride, you will enjoy your time in the keys!

Some things we do in the keys:
- fish. We have a friend who is a fishing guide and he takes us out
- Key West is constantly hopping. Mallory Square for the sunset festival every night is great. Mel Fisher museum, Hemingway house, walk down Duval st. to the southernmost point.
- eat. Frozen, chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick!
- relax. Once you cross the turquoise bridge from the mainland to Key Largo, all your travel troubles will be behind you!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we are leaving today to go to the Keys. staying at Bluewater for the week. plan on staying at Vero beach the night before so we have about a 6 hour drive on Friday. and of course it looks like it is going to rain all day today.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Ralph,

'open road' does not equal 'I-95'. Just so you are prepared with I-95 from CT on down:
1. In CT, the road surface is pretty bad
2. 95 takes you through NYC on the Cross Bronx Expressway and the George Washington Bridge. Make sure your follow signs for the UPPER level of the bridge.
3. There is a missing link to I-95 in NJ. You have to get on the NJ Turnpike but that will allow you to bypass Philly.
4. Depending on the time of day, tolls back up in Delaware even if you have an EZPass.
5. In Baltimore, you have to take the Francis Scott Key bridge instead of the tunnel since you have propane.
6. Washington DC is another mess on 95.
7. Construction on I-95 through Richmond and southern VA. Take the I-295 bypass in Richmond.
8. You will then hit some open road in NC, SC, and GA.
9. Jacksonville is a little hairy as 95 curves and splits with I-10.
10. Agree with the previous poster to get on the FL Turnpike instead of 95. I switch over in Ft. Pierce. There is a Flying J for fill up, you go strait out of the exit and follow the road for 2 miles and it leads you right to the Turnpike entrance.

One detour you may consider is:
- take 287 as soon as you get into NY
- that will lead you around NYC to I-78
- take 78 to I-81
- take 81 to I-66 east to Rt. 17 which leads you to 95 in Fredricksburg VA

After that ride, you will enjoy your time in the keys!

Some things we do in the keys:
- fish. We have a friend who is a fishing guide and he takes us out
- Key West is constantly hopping. Mallory Square for the sunset festival every night is great. Mel Fisher museum, Hemingway house, walk down Duval st. to the southernmost point.
- eat. Frozen, chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick!
- relax. Once you cross the turquoise bridge from the mainland to Key Largo, all your travel troubles will be behind you!

Hey, thanks very much for the info. I will indeed take your advice when I solidify my route. The Keys sound like a lot of fun, we can't wait. Once again, many thanks to you, hope to meet you in our travels someday!

Ralph
Old 04-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #23

Thanks to all for your input. This is a great site , lots of good info shared. I am in a business where communication is the key and I so appreciate your responses. Hope to meet you in travel someday.

Ralph
Old 04-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #24

We were going to take the same trip. Reservations at the Blue water keys, may 1-5th. But had a small problem. Have to have a Hernia operation. Maybe next
Year.mhave a good time.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
we are leaving today to go to the Keys. staying at Bluewater for the week. plan on staying at Vero beach the night before so we have about a 6 hour drive on Friday. and of course it looks like it is going to rain all day today.
Have fun and keep us posted. I'm heading the in May for two weeks.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #26

ralphb really sugar coated the drive from Balt. to well below Richmond. Depending when you hit that area you will wish you had flown down and bought your RV there. If you can schedule to hit Balt. after 9 PM it will usually be a little better.

Good Luck
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #27

I-66 to Rt. 17 is a nice route, but you still run into a lot of traffic from Washington to Richmond. You can stay on I-81 to I-77. Take I-77 thru Charlotte to Columbia, SC. Take I-26 to I-95 south. You will have a much more pleasant drive. Less traffic, more trucks, but nice scenery. Not a big difference mileage wise.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
arrived at bluewater key this afternoon. what a place. having the sunpass was a time saver on the FL turnpikes for sure. now to sit back and enjoy......