Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2023, 07:52 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Hellwig 61614 Pro Helper Springs

Has anyone installed these helper springs that attach to the existing leaf springs?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2023, 09:38 AM   #2

I ran them on my pick-up when I carried a truck camper. I liked that they did not engage when the camper was not on, so I got the best of both worlds: loaded or unloaded. However, I did have to mess around with adjustments.

For your MH where you are constantly carrying the weight, I would go to a spring shop and have a leaf added to the spring pack. I think you will be happier in the long run.

I think the better question is why do you need them? What are you trying to accomplish with them?
Clotus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:44 AM   #3

Jayco and Entegra install them on their 30ft, Class C, RVs.

Part of their handling upgrade.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:11 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotus View Post
I ran them on my pick-up when I carried a truck camper. I liked that they did not engage when the camper was not on, so I got the best of both worlds: loaded or unloaded. However, I did have to mess around with adjustments.

For your MH where you are constantly carrying the weight, I would go to a spring shop and have a leaf added to the spring pack. I think you will be happier in the long run.

I think the better question is why do you need them? What are you trying to accomplish with them?
I would like to raise the back end maybe 1 inch. I've been in situations before when the sumo springs were completely compressed and experienced a very rough ride.

I know the real answer is to shed some weight.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:13 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Jayco and Entegra install them on their 30ft, Class C, RVs.

Part of their handling upgrade.
That's interesting. I wonder how they would work on a Sprinter chassis.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:24 PM   #6

I am not sure exactly what ones I have but my Jayco Redhawk came with Hellwig helper springs already on it. When I bought it they were not adjusted correctly and after talking to Hellwig, I adjusted them properly for my weight of the rv and it did raise my rear end by at least an inch and also felt less loose back there while driving .
Raines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecando View Post
I would like to raise the back end maybe 1 inch. I've been in situations before when the sumo springs were completely compressed and experienced a very rough ride.

I know the real answer is to shed some weight.
Won't raise your rear end but I've got Timbren helper springs on my 30.5 Sunseeker 2860DS E450 - they are progressive & airless and might help augment your Sumos. Replaces your stock jounce bumpers
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:55 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I've already got the Sumo helper springs, actually bumpers rated at 1400 lbs on the rear and 1000 lbs on the front. I don't know how they come up with those ratings since they don't seem to raise the vehicle at all. However, they are an enormous help in preventing sway.
Old 01-27-2023, 06:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotus View Post
With rare exception like my rig's situation HERE, Clotus's suggestion is MOST LOGICAL for the Sprinter mentioned along with many other motorhomes in the same situation.

The most common cause for the sag is "weight distribution". Anything heavy located close to the rear bumper amplifies that weight tremendously, compared to the same weight placed directly over the rear axle.

Being a Sprinter chassis, I would ask that question in a Sprinter group, if anyone has added a leaf spring (or two) to each rear corner spring pack. It's not hard to do so I imagine it would be fairly affordable.

For pictoral reference, I was at the Chicago auto show in 2016. They had a Sprinter cut-away chassis there on display. CLICK HERE to see some pictures I took which happened to be a 3500 for a box truck application.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecando View Post
I've already got the Sumo helper springs, actually bumpers rated at 1400 lbs on the rear and 1000 lbs on the front. I don't know how they come up with those ratings since they don't seem to raise the vehicle at all. However, they are an enormous help in preventing sway.
X2

I put the 1500 pound rate Sumos's on the rear of my RV and its works, stopped the sway, did not raise the back so I had a spring shop put a 3/4 inch rubber blocks between the spring pack and axle and realigned the front end and now its rock solid going down the road with no harsh ride.

Old 02-19-2023, 03:33 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Can't make much change with the weight distribution in the rear. All the stuff in the rear is as designed including the generator, etc.

I installed the 1900 lb. SuperSprings SSA55 a little over a week ago. They made a major improvement. Raised the rear end 3/4 inch. Now the SumoSprings are not amost fully compressed. Stopped the bottoming out with a full tank of water and almost no sway now. Drives almost like a car now.

It took me about 5 hours to install them on the day I received them. This is not a job for most people unless they have some mechanical experience.