Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2021, 04:35 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Help my back exterior wall is loose

I have a 2015 Itasca Spirit. The bottom screws have flown the coop! We tried to add new screws but there is nothing for them to catch on. Apparently the board is rotting in there. Any suggestions on how to fix it? Novice repairman here.
NevaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2021, 05:41 PM   #2

If the inner boards are rotting there has to be water intrusion. I am afraid there isn't going to be a quick fix. You need to track down any water leaks and fix those, then either disassemble the wall from either inside or outside ( whichever is easier ) and replace any rotted components. There could also be issues with the floor in that area. ( I would probably opt to remove the inner wall )
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Good luck with your repairs.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:38 PM   #3

As Roy mentioned, there is no quick fix.

I would remove the back wall and address the problem holistically.

Many motorhomes are constructed such that the walls do not rest on the floor. They are mounted to the side of it with screws or bolts. If this is your case, you really want to fix it right.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:11 AM   #4

All good advice, above.

My neighbor just dealt with a similar situation with his class C Navion. The back wall on his is 1" solid plywood and functions not only as the back wall, but as a shear panel for the framing of the coach. In his case, the spare tire mount is bolted to the back panel, and the bolts were never caulked or sealed. Water found its way through and soaked/softened the bottom of the wood panel. He removed some of the interior covering to expose the area and thoroughly dried it out. Fortunately for him, it was not exposed to moisture for too long a period because the integrity of the plywood was intact.

Your post makes it sound like the problem is more extensive, but it's not really clear. Is it the inside wall that is loose or the outside fiberglass wall? Are the screws out all the way across the coach or just in one area? Regardless, you have had water intrusion and you need to find out from where the water came and how far it has damaged the coach, including the floor, as mentioned.

I suggest you plan ahead on how you will cover up your repair before you dig in. Matching the interior wall covering may not be possible.

Good luck, and keep us updated.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:51 AM   #5

I am not sure there is any wood behind those screws. If it is anything like a 5th wheel the screws just attach the cap to the sidewall in most cases. There may be some of these screws that make contact with the frame but not all of them. I used banana peel pop rivets on those that were stripped out on my 5th wheel.

You need to verify what I am saying in your case to make sure you don't have a water leak with rotten wood and hopefully it has just been stripped out.

Good luck.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:08 PM   #6

I had a similar problem on our old travel trailer. We were on vacation with it when it happened. I saw the wood was rotted, and that at some point water had come in from a bad window seal that had since been repaired. I went to Home Depot and got L brackets as the wood on the walls was still good. Repaired it with those, but replaced the rotted wood when we got back home, before we sold it.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:45 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks so much for the help. The problem area is below the storage bin door. We think it is from accidentally leaving the bin door open. The screws on the.side if this wall are still in tact. There is a L bar the width of the storage area whick seems to attach the interior wall which is attached to the exterior walli hope this makes the problem more clear. The floor does not seem to have damage.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:47 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I am thinking I may need a professional.��
Old 05-31-2021, 04:51 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Both are loose below the storage bin door. We know we left the bin door open on a rainy night. We will look for other possible water intrusion.
Old 05-31-2021, 06:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevaLee View Post
We will look for other possible water intrusion.
Water often finds it way in through one or more of the lights, either the main tail lights or the upper marker lights. Be sure to inspect all of them around your entire rig. If water is getting in through a back light, it may also be leaking through a front light and you just did not yet discover it.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:36 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A typical COMMON RV wall/ panel is 1-inch FOAM sandwiched between two layers of 1/8" Lauan Plywood, with papered paneling inside and 1/16" FILON Fiberglass glued to the Lauan for rigidity. 1"X1" SOLID WOOD (CEDAR/ Treated Pine) usually frames windows, hatches, etc. for screw anchors; some BRANDS/ Later models use 1-inch steel or aluminum square tubing to frame some parts/ devices; (some/ many, but not all MFR) (Newer) use a rot resistant/ mildew resistant product called AZDEL to replace the Lauan. Often it is pretty easy to replace sections of 1x1 wood around openings for new screw anchors. HOPE this helps?