Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Help with powergear slide out actuator

have problem on my 2005 Minnie 329 front sofa slide. My slide actuator has motor wobble. The actuator has a acme screw that must get bent very easy. It is mounted in the slideout arm that supports slide with sofa.
I called lippert and they want $1,500.00 for slide actuator with motor attached. It was made by Kwikee/Powergear which was bought out by Lippert I think.
powergear / kwikee part # 1820106 and
lippert part # 384235 -

Very expensive compared to other actuators they sell.

I am thinking about taking motor off actuator and trying to straighten acme screw which is slightly bent in arbor press with v-blocks.
I have it out and getting ready to take motor off.
yankeewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2017, 04:21 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Based on what you have stated I am assuming that you are going to pull the unit anyway-- to try to straighten or to replace. So I think you have nothing to loose.

I have had to straighten long lead screws a few times in industrial applications in the manner you describe. The secret is to not be in a rush and make small moves. Use pieces of brass shim between the screw threads and the blocks and the press rod. The easiest method to monitor your progress is a known flat surface that you can roll the rod on and with feeler gauges find and mark the high spot or spots. Clean up any deformation of threads with an appropriate file.

Do not forget the most important thing---why did it bend in the first place.Is a Limit switch out of adjustment or is something binding?
KAttkisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:46 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
This was like this when I bought from a deceased gentlemen. I can push slide compartment by hand, maybe something was in way while moving slide and bent screw. Looked under slide and looks clean.no limit switches. Will inspect further and put some dry silicone spray or look for slideout spray online.
I think I will just buy new actuator with new motor attached for $1,000.00
Old 02-11-2017, 07:45 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Put in new actuator from Lippert and is a lot quieter. Still seems to labor a little bit but not like before the new actuator. Everything looks good, put seal conditioner on and use slide out spray underneath.
The room has glides under front of sofa that slides on carpet. Found out they have strips you put down on carpet for glides to move on that they sell at Good Sam. Might try them out also.

Tags
power, slide, slide out