Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2021, 04:30 PM   #1

Highest quality build Class C??

So....my wife casually mentions today that she might like to "downsize". We currently have a 2005 43' Newmar Mountain Aire DP. The build quality on the Newmar is outstanding. Heavy solid wood bedroom and bath doors, solid cherry wood cabinets, Corian countertops, just an all around very well built high quality coach.

Now she's talking about possibly wanting to go to a Class C. I know absolutely nothing about Class C's. Virtually all that I know is about Class A DP's. I know enough about Class C's to know that I don't want a Super C. The whole idea is to downsize, not to get into a different type of huge RV.

Here's what ideally I would be looking for:

-Top quality build. I don't want a fifth wheel with an engine. I am not happy about the very light thin doors, etc that you'd find in a travel trailer or fifth wheel. I fully understand why that's necessary for towing weight, etc, but I don't want that. I am looking for top quality Class A type construction in a Class C. Does that even exist?

-Ability to tow my Jeep
-Drives well
-Probably about 10 or more years old. The depreciation on these RV's is breathtaking, and I would prefer for someone else to take that hit.

EDIT - Full body paint - no stickers or vinyl graphics.

I am basically looking for Newmar, Foretravel, Tiffen Class A quality in a Class C.

Ideas, any of you Class C guys?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2021, 05:45 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Doug427-

Lazy Daze (www.lazydaze.com) builds a quality Class C. We owned one, a 27-foot mid-bath model. We were the third owners.

Two things that you might not like about Lazy Daze coaches:

1) No slides
2) Limited towing capacity (flat tow limited to 3,500 to 4,000 pounds, depending on model year)
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:56 PM   #3

You owe it to yourself to check out the Phoenix Cruiser line of motorhomes. The only issue you might have with them is that they are smaller than most others in width and height. You will either appreciate that about them, or find it going too far in downsizing....but they do have slide outs to compensate. Their quality is better than most other brands.

We special ordered ours new in 2007 specifically without a slide out and still find it awesome. CLICK HERE if interested in seeing many pictures of ours. The only decals are the words "PHOENIX CRUISER". The rest is real paint.

The main entry door feels and closes similar to an automotive door with a serious frame to support it. It includes a retractable screen door that disappears when not in use.

Since our unit was made 14 years ago, the company improved the outdoor storage compartment doors with slam-latching.

Phoenix offered thermal pane glass for many years which we have. The fancier frameless jealousy windows replaced the sliders we have some years following.

The spare tire compartment (with spare tire) used to come standard, but in recent years, that feature became "optional" when special-ordering.

Buying a used Phoenix Cruiser that has been garage kept is going to be an exceptional find. Fortunately because of their scaled-down profile, more of them have been garage kept compared to most other brands. Our PC-2350 is 9'-10" to the highest point which is the top of the a/c unit. It makes it through with a few inches to spare.

You also owe it to yourself to check out Coach House. They stand out because their seamless construction.

The Dynamax Isata Sport from 1999-2007 built on the Ford E350 and E450 chassis are worth consideration.

As others already mentioned, Lazy Daze is another good brand.

Generally speaking....if you don't need the overhead bunk above the driver, then DON'T get it. Get a B+ with the aerodynamic cap to avoid structural issues that start as water leaks. If you MUST have that feature, then get one with a seamless bucket design. At all costs, avoid a front facing window in that front upper bunk.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:59 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Following... In the same boat. Looking to downsize also.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:14 PM   #5

Look at Coach House models. High quality. See my previous post on my coach.
hpdrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:41 PM   #6

When the time comes for a new one for me it will be coach house,Phoenix cruiser or lazy daze. I like slides so lazy gets moved down the list but they all seem like well built coaches
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
So....my wife casually mentions today that she might like to "downsize". We currently have a 2005 43' Newmar Mountain Aire DP. The build quality on the Newmar is outstanding. Heavy solid wood bedroom and bath doors, solid cherry wood cabinets, Corian countertops, just an all around very well built high quality coach.

Now she's talking about possibly wanting to go to a Class C. I know absolutely nothing about Class C's. Virtually all that I know is about Class A DP's. I know enough about Class C's to know that I don't want a Super C. The whole idea is to downsize, not to get into a different type of huge RV.

Here's what ideally I would be looking for:

-Top quality build. I don't want a fifth wheel with an engine. I am not happy about the very light thin doors, etc that you'd find in a travel trailer or fifth wheel. I fully understand why that's necessary for towing weight, etc, but I don't want that. I am looking for top quality Class A type construction in a Class C. Does that even exist?

-Ability to tow my Jeep
-Drives well
-Probably about 10 or more years old. The depreciation on these RV's is breathtaking, and I would prefer for someone else to take that hit.

EDIT - Full body paint - no stickers or vinyl graphics.

I am basically looking for Newmar, Foretravel, Tiffen Class A quality in a Class C.

Ideas, any of you Class C guys?
Tiffin makes a small class C (the Wayfarer) on a MB Sprinter 3500 extended chassis. I have the Winnebago equivalent, in terms of size, chassis, and power train, a 2018 Navion, V6 turbo diesel engine, 5 speed transmission. For what sounds like a small diesel engine, it pulls like a champion.
If you're impressed with the Tiffin class A fit and finish, why not have a look at one of them? Brand new, all these little beasties are pricey, but you might find a gently used one, more in your preferred price range.
I tow a 2016 Wrangler JKU Sahara, weighs around 4500lbs loaded for travel, with my Navion. Costs me about 2mpg in fuel economy to tow it. I get 15mpg solo, and 13mpg towing.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:13 PM   #8

LazyDaze
Coach House
Phoenix Cruiser
Tiger Adventure Vehicles

And as mentioned, Tiffin makes the Wayfarer on the MB Sprinter.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:37 AM   #9

The Tiffin Wayfarer will check most of your requirements. Itís built with top quality materials and (as mentioned in a previous post) it can tow a jeep. Weíve owned ours for for 1.5 years and are very happy with it. We have the TW (twin bed) model with a slide. The Mercedes turbo diesel is never struggles (we donít tow) and we average 15mpg. Ours has an overhead cab, but itís a smaller, more aerodynamic one. We donít use the bed, but we use that area for storing large, bulky items, such as zero gravity chairs and storage totes. I canít compare the Tiffin to any of the other coaches listed previously, since Iíve never driven them.

One warning: the Wayfarer has a small OCCC. Itís manageable for us, but many folks seems to struggle with keeping under it!

The Wayfarer has only been in production since 2017, so the oldest youíll be able to find is about 5 years old.

Good luck in your search!
FarmerJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:43 PM   #10

Advanced-rv.com
They are not really a Class C, but their quality is beyond normal rv manufactures standards. Look at a couple of their videos on YouTube, they make some impressive rvís.

Of course they cost big bucks.
SergioP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:43 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have used a 32ft 5th wheeler and wanted a MH that was much shorter and easy driving. We looked and read about most all current Class Cs. Several brands were tossed out right away, care to guess? We wanted something no more than 28 feet max.

We decided on either the Phoenix Cruiser 2351D or Coach House 272XL. Floor plans are very similar for both. We could not afford the new price so looked at the used market. The Phoenix Cruiser we liked has been out only for a couple years and thus very few on the used market. Thus we decided to go with the Coach House 272XL, two slides. Coach House is marketed as a B+ or a touring RV. It is 27 feet long and shorter in height and width. Makes gettin gin and out of places easy. As all things RV, there are trade offs for sure.

If you like Class Cs on the Sprinter chassis make sure you understand the OCCC limits, they are overly tight in my opinion and very few places around here that will even work on one. Just saying....
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:24 AM   #12

We just went from a 45' Entegra to a Jayco Melbourne Prestige 25R. Downsizing takes a lot of planning. What will you use the Class C for? We wanted to go to more state parks and even some boondocking.

One thing you will have to think about is...Stuff. As someone mentioned the OCCC is very low compared to your Newmar. Do you plan to carry all the same stuff or will you be okay with MUCH less. DW loves to cook. Had to rethink how we do some meals and what we carry. The microwave is very small but needed special size pans. We did opt for the plan that had the extra counterspace. Outside storage is a fraction of what you have in the Newmar. We have the overhead bunk that we use for chairs, outside table, broom, and other things that normally would be in an outside bay.

We love our new Melbourne Prestige! But it is not an Entegra and we know that. However we are camping at state parks for $27/night and have great sites. It is so easy to drive and back into a site we could park virtually anywhere! We are so glad to have downsized!

In this market depreciation seems to be less of a factor. It is hard to find used units and even those are coming up at a very high price!

Class C's seem to be one of the hottest in the RV market today. Good luck!
Old 06-06-2021, 08:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverhome2 View Post
.....However we are camping at state parks for $27/night and have great sites. It is so easy to drive and back into a site we could park virtually anywhere! We are so glad to have downsized!
Don't forget national parks, national monuments, national forests, and bureau of land management. With rare exception, they are class C friendly, especially if you can limit your length to 27-28 feet. But even 29-30 footers can manage.

Our rig SEEN HERE is 23'-8" long, yet we still tow a Jeep Liberty 4x4 for maximum flexibility at our destinations as well as being more adventurous where motorhomes would take too much of a beating....or get stuck.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
It is 27 feet long and shorter in height and width. Makes gettin gin and out of places easy..
Prohibition ended in 1933. You donít have to smuggle your gin anymore

Tags
class c, quality