Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2017, 05:45 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Hold tank heaters: do they work?

Hi,

While I won't be traveling in the north during winter, I can see myself being in places where a few freezing nights may occur. I see some RVs can be bought with heated holding tanks. Do they work? What about the plumbing lines running to/from the tanks? How much power do they take? Do they run from 12V or 110 VAC only?

Thanks for any info!

-Eric
ericgbirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Someone with "real world" experience will chime in, I am sure. But you can "study up" a bit here:

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Fresh-Wa...77-000164.html

and here:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Fresh-Wa...77-000164.html

I have non-working heaters on my rig and WGO hasn't been a ton of help. I did ask them about travel with the tank heaters and the shop people said "down to about 20 degrees"...... but none of that is "specd" anywhere that I know of.

If you browse the net you will find that the larger pad heaters for the tanks draw about 5 amps ea. And elbow heaters about 1/3 of that. Mine has a pad for each tank and 1 elbow htr near the gray tank Valterra valve. That was the Winnebago design/installation for my configuration.....I'd wager there are lots of configurations, depending on your plumbing. Mine are powered by the coach batteries; probably all coaches are. My manual gives BIG cautions about battery drain issues if you aren't charging them while the heaters are on.

I intend to re-engineer mine so I have an ammeter showing current draw for each of the 3 heaters.....so I know if one has failed. As designed, I have a red light that shows the heater(s) switch is "on" ...... big deal.

It will be interesting to hear what folks who use tank heaters have to say. I'll sure be listening........

Safe travels............ ed s
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ooops......that second link s/b ultraheat.com
Old 10-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #4

We have heated tanks and spent a couple of nights in the teens with furnace running also... we do need to put a lightbulb in the belly of our tank release valves to keep those pipes from freezing.
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:34 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never had them, just put a light bulb in the bay. Present rig has heat from the AquaHot forced into the wet bay.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:17 PM   #6
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
It is just or more important it heat the dump valves.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Never had them, just put a light bulb in the bay. Present rig has heat from the AquaHot forced into the wet bay.
Mr D,

Are you taking about leaving the storage lights on, if not are you plugging the bulb in somewhere?

Thanks,
Old 10-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Wow! A 45 ft Class C with AquaHot here on the Class C forum. Amazing!
A lot of help for the OP...................... or not. But maybe he has a 45 footer too..........no info in his post or personal data to know for sure.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:27 PM   #9

I live up north and this is my concern as well since i am looking at class B+/small C that will see some cold and snow.

A full tank will take a bit to freeze so thats an important factor for the fresh water, and you could probably do a 1:1 antifreeze for the waist. So pipes would be the main concern, more so than the tanks since the heating pads should work well.

Wish i felt more comfortable with them claiming 4 season, even the Canadian company's i am worried about the 4 season claims. Especially dry camping for a while in the cold.
RIPPER238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #10

Tank heater

What they are is an electric pad glued to the bottom of the tank, must be on shore per 120v or gen to use.
They will only help at reasonable temps for short period of time.
Will not help with any lines out side the coach, will not help with out side shower or drains (low point). Water heater is my biggest worry $$$$. Best to dump and winterize, then dry camp, use RV antifreeze to flush the toilet add some to the grey tank just in case.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:43 AM   #11

Personally I question how good the heating pads on the bottoms of the tanks would work in cold weather.They may keep the tanks from freezing,but what about the exposed water lines that come of the tanks,like the fresh water lines that are exposed to the sub freezing winds and weather ? Heated tanks sounds good on paper when you buy the unit but I would'nt trust them for full protection.Unless you have an enclosed under-belly with the lines inside,beware.My water lines are exposed in my Greyhawk class c.
skullpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullpainter View Post
Personally I question how good the heating pads on the bottoms of the tanks would work in cold weather.They may keep the tanks from freezing,but what about the exposed water lines that come of the tanks,like the fresh water lines that are exposed to the sub freezing winds and weather ? Heated tanks sounds good on paper when you buy the unit but I would'nt trust them for full protection.Unless you have an enclosed under-belly with the lines inside,beware.My water lines are exposed in my Greyhawk class c.
X2.

Wish there were diagrams for the plumbing. I guess they could rout it in a way little to no water would sit in the exterior pipes. I also just saw that LTV has burst proof pipes?
RIPPER238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:56 PM   #13

skullpainter, that is why we put a lightbulb in our belly where the water lines don’t have any protection.
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:22 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
To the OP's question- It seems there isn't a "one size fits all" answer based on the responses from owner's; e.g., my lines (other than waste lines/tanks) are all inside the coach... in the lower cabinetry; so tank heater pads and waste tank valve heater pads would be of some value in freezing temps....within reason (older Class C Winnebago) while skullpainter has some lines exposed to the elements, and Diane and Murray's Class C has lines in a "belly space" where they can add supplemental heat (light bulb[s]). So it all seems to be very configuration dependent. Skullpainter's suggestion to "beware" sounds right on IMHO......assuming travel in freezing temps is a possibility for ya.

Overall, the discussion seems to yield one more plus for the Class A owners, methinks.......they got heated/insulated wet bays and can hang another backup heat source in there for redundancy. I know a lot of Class A owners use wireless temp monitors/alarms in the wet bays too..........neat.

Safe travels everyone

Tags
heat, heater, tank