Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2017, 09:28 PM   #1

House Batteries

Does anyone have any experience with Optima Blue Top 27M batteries?

My Discover EV27A-As are officially dead beyond recovery and O'Reilly is suggesting the Optima Blue Tops at $238 each.

I gather Lifelines (assume the GPL-27T is the equivalent) are about $60 more each ($308 vs. $238).

Are Lifelines really worth the extra bump?
JimGraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2017, 09:39 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I prefer golf cart batteries and buy them at Costco for $85 each. It seems to me that you are paying for the next set of batteries ahead of time when you pay that much for "lifetime" batteries. And any warranty is only good for the lifetime of the company that makes them. How long do you plan to keep this RV?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:16 PM   #3

Lifeline is the manufacturer of the battery. Warranty is the standard 12/60 not "lifetime".

I was looking at the straight forward replacement of 12V AGM sealed batteries to replace the OEMs that came with my unit. That is a drop in solution.

Local auto shop recommended Optima Blue Tops but I saw some bad reviews on Amazon on Blue Tops and checked here and saw a lot of folks liked Lifeline AGM batteries.

Don't you have to do some modifications to your battery box and wiring to switch to 6V golf cart batteries?

What I want is simple, and reliable.

Oh, I also plan to keep this as long as I am driving. It is a 2015 unit and just the right size for me.
JimGraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:25 PM   #4

I get mine at costco also they work just great dont let them go dry on you must check water ever two months.
TUCK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:14 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Optima blue top is a combo marine battery, not a true deep cycle.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:16 AM   #6

You need to compare specs, not the glossy brochures.

A deep cycle battery is rated by Amp Hours ( AH ) or Reserve Capacity ( RC ). You want the highest rating for your money. You also want it to say Deep Cycle, not dual purpose or have a Cold Cranking Amp ( CCA ) rating as a selling point.

If the Optima has " round " cells, you are paying for air space not lead, the thing that makes a battery more powerful. Check the weight.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:22 AM   #7

House Batteries

I used the blue tops on the boat because I do not want to deal with liquid acid in that environment. They have performed well. In fact, I have one that has been in storage for five years with no charging. I was surprised to see that it took a full charge and is back in business (YRMV). Note that they come in several sizes.
Now that they are aging out, I have tried the Duracell AGMs from Sam's Club. The first one was DOA, the second I just returned for a free replacement at 17 months under the 18 month warranty. I always bring my CCA tester when buying batteries, or ask to borrow theirs. A good brand will show consistency among units on the shelf. A poor brand will show a variety of readings.
On the RV my preference is four 6-volt golf cart batteries, plus an installed watering kit. Squeeze the watering bulb a few times every couple of months and they work fine. When asked if AGM batteries are a better value, I have yet to meet the qualified rep who can truthfully answer "yes".
You will have to configure your charger for regular lead-acid or AGM because the charging voltages are different. Mixing types is not recommended.
Always check the date-of-manufacture sticker. You don't want to buy two year old batteries.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGraves View Post
Lifeline is the manufacturer of the battery. Warranty is the standard 12/60 not "lifetime".

I was looking at the straight forward replacement of 12V AGM sealed batteries to replace the OEMs that came with my unit. That is a drop in solution.

Local auto shop recommended Optima Blue Tops but I saw some bad reviews on Amazon on Blue Tops and checked here and saw a lot of folks liked Lifeline AGM batteries.

Don't you have to do some modifications to your battery box and wiring to switch to 6V golf cart batteries?

What I want is simple, and reliable.

Oh, I also plan to keep this as long as I am driving. It is a 2015 unit and just the right size for me.
Don't you already have 6v batteries. You should stay with the AGM type you are currently using. Trojan, Interstate, Lifeline are reliable brands.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #9

True deep cycle battery will have its specs listed as AH (amp hr) or RC (reserve capacity). For batteries in the same group size the one with the highest weight should have the better specs and longer life, more lead (thicker plates). As stated above Trojan, Interstate, and Lifeline are good brands, but their relative specs can vary by size.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #10

CGs are the lowest $/AHr available due to volume.
They are rugged and will have a long life if treated well.
Rewiring shouldn't be a big deal...you need to interconnect batteries either series w 6V or parallel w 12V.
Sams Club or Costco are usually around $85 ea...hard to beat for 220 AHr for a pair of 6V GCs
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:10 AM   #11

Have lifeline in my truck camper we DRY camp only never any hook ups , solar charger only , 8 years going strong
toyotech358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries