Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2020, 05:16 PM   #29

sounds like the charger part of the converter
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2020, 05:16 PM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvnizzo View Post
But there is power on both sides. We can't seem to figure out the problem of why it won't click. Engage our disengage
That is the isolation solenoid. It will have house one one side and chassis on the other. Should click with the boost switch or by starting the engine.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:18 PM   #31

Quote:
But there is power on both sides. We can't seem to figure out the problem of why it won't click. Engage our disengage
Its because that relay needs more then two wires to work. Has it ever worked ?

If there is power on both sides its engaged, so its not why things don't work.

Did you tighten that ground cable where it bolts to the chassis ?Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2020-08-25-19-16-17.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	298618
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
That is the isolation solenoid. It will have house one one side and chassis on the other. Should click with the boost switch or by starting the engine.
Isolation solenoid will have cables much bigger then what on that solenoid. He know wher that is.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:23 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Like most relays/solenoids, the contacts can fail in the "welded together" mode as well as the"poor contact/high resistance" mode. I have read of both on various forums.

If you remove the (small) wire(s) from the armature of the solenoid and it is still "ON" the contacts may be welded together. However, if they are welded together I would "think" the batteries should be getting charged by your converter.....if it is working. Others will chime in if my logic is wrong.

Glad you found it. I guess they really do put 'em anywhere and everywhere. lol

You're gonna get this whupped...........hang in there.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:17 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
Like most relays/solenoids, the contacts can fail in the "welded together" mode as well as the"poor contact/high resistance" mode. I have read of both on various forums.

If you remove the (small) wire(s) from the armature of the solenoid and it is still "ON" the contacts may be welded together. However, if they are welded together I would "think" the batteries should be getting charged by your converter.....if it is working. Others will chime in if my logic is wrong.

Glad you found it. I guess they really do put 'em anywhere and everywhere. lol

You're gonna get this whupped...........hang in there.
It looks to me like a latching relay. Removing power to the small terminals will not let it open, its still latched.

To un-latch it, you need to send power to the small terminals, in reverse polarity of what latched it.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:15 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
It looks to me like a latching relay. Removing power to the small terminals will not let it open, its still latched.

To un-latch it, you need to send power to the small terminals, in reverse polarity of what latched it.
Ooops, you're absolutely right, twinboat. As you say, if it's a latching solenoid (and it should be) and the magnet has it latched closed, it has to be powered open with a 12v pulse in reverse polarity. Time to get in there with a voltmeter and take some readings whilst cycling the salesman's switch...... plus maybe ohm out the fuse on the solenoid ....assuming it has a fuse. Could have blown the fuse the last time it was cycled "ON" I reckon.

Now that it's been been found, it should be a simple matter to troubleshoot.

Best............
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:21 AM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is getting a little weird. OP says that the boost start switch will light everything up in the coach. That has to mean that the "salesman" switch is closed since the isolation relay is upstream of the disconnect switch (in most coaches.) Maybe it is welded closed...maybe not...but it is closed. Hard to see what the solenoid in the last image is. Looks like heavy duty cables below but really lacks scale.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:00 PM   #37

one side was the shore power and that is why it lit up, it did not when we unplugged

the other side was the house battery

we learned we could either jump it or simply put both wires on one side(which is what we did)

seems to have fixed everything even the 12v lights in the house.

if this is unsafe please let me know we would end up just replacing it

but since this rv will never be stored that is what we saw as the best option

thanks again to everyone who helped

and to put out there again...sometimes the battery disconnect can be under the stove lol.
rvnizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:50 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
one side was the shore power and that is why it lit up, it did not when we unplugged

the other side was the house battery

we learned we could either jump it or simply put both wires on one side(which is what we did)

seems to have fixed everything even the 12v lights in the house.

if this is unsafe please let me know we would end up just replacing it

but since this rv will never be stored that is what we saw as the best option

thanks again to everyone who helped

and to put out there again...sometimes the battery disconnect can be under the stove lol.
so that relay is not flipping on.. as mentioned it is a latching,, means power to close it, reverse + - .. power to open,, it is stuck off for some reason.. it is bad.. the switch that works it, is bad, the fuse that powers the switch is bad, there is sometimes a 5am fuse on soloniod/relay itself for control circuit..

Ok you by passes it.. only issue I see is that when Rv is setting idle for a couple weeks, your batteries will be stone dead.. There are some items that draw battery down when rv is not in use, propane detecter, Frdige ( unless you turn switch to storage mode) power board on heater.. power moniors etc..
sibe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:54 PM   #39

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The wire connecting CONVERTER TO BATTERY is protected on EACH/ BOTH ends. On battery end (within 18-inches of battery and right beside MY battery) is usually a 30-60aX 12VDC CIRUIT BREAKER; on the CONVERTER END are (usually) REVERSE POLARITY fuses. I believe on some brand/ models of OLDER eq., you have to Unmount the fuse board, and these are mounted on the BACK of the board?
Old 09-03-2020, 03:35 PM   #40

Maybe it's the circuit breaker

I ran into a totally different case when I acquired my father's motorhome (he was too old to drive it any more). The motorhome wouldn't charge the house batteries by anything but the main engine's alternator too. I eventually found out it was a tripped AC circuit breaker for the AC input to the converter (not the AC output from the inverter). Since no AC power from the generator or shore cord was getting to the converter, it couldn't charge the coach batteries. Simple reset of the breaker (once I found where the body manufacturer hid the main AC breaker panel), and everything was fine.

I still don't know what tripped the breaker in the first place (it was already tripped when I took over ownership of the motorhome), and it has never tripped again.
apavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:53 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
I had a similar issue where the batteries weren't charging while plugged in. It turned out to be the BIRD.
Intellitec 0000362100 B.I.R.D Gas https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0721TL39Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_zgyuFb0PWANTB
Old 09-03-2020, 06:58 PM   #42

Check with a multi meter below 12 volts and you’ll have to use automobile battery chargers
Chuckge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, cat, charging, ems, problem, problems, solenoid