Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2020, 09:58 PM   #1

House battery/chassis battery/charging and start assist question

Hi folks, we're dusting off the RV and getting ready to get on the road all the while "social distancing"! But question about my batteries. First some details. We have a 2019 Mercedes Sprinter under a Thor Quantum 24. Our chassis battery is standard Mercedes Sprinter. The house batteries (2) are AGM , I believe, and the house batteries are charged via solar array. I do not know if the generator charges the house batteries but I would assume it does. In my previous Class A motorhome I had a momentary switch that would pull in the house batteries to start the engined if the chassis battery was low. This Sprinter does not have that switch.

So here are my questions.

1. Is there a way to connect the house and chassis batteries together so that the solar panel charges both?

2. With question 1 in mind, how difficult is it to install the momentary start switch that would pull in the house batteries to start the engine in the situation that the chassis battery is dead or low?

3. what is the best way to connect the batteries or should I keep them separated?

Thanks!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2020, 06:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie RVer View Post
Hi folks, we're dusting off the RV and getting ready to get on the road all the while "social distancing"! But question about my batteries. First some details. We have a 2019 Mercedes Sprinter under a Thor Quantum 24. Our chassis battery is standard Mercedes Sprinter. The house batteries (2) are AGM , I believe, and the house batteries are charged via solar array. I do not know if the generator charges the house batteries but I would assume it does. In my previous Class A motorhome I had a momentary switch that would pull in the house batteries to start the engined if the chassis battery was low. This Sprinter does not have that switch.

1. Is there a way to connect the house and chassis batteries together so that the solar panel charges both?

2. With question 1 in mind, how difficult is it to install the momentary start switch that would pull in the house batteries to start the engine in the situation that the chassis battery is dead or low?

3. what is the best way to connect the batteries or should I keep them separated?

Thanks!!
1) If you have an inverter creating 120VAC at some of the coach outlets, find an "always hot" 12VDC cigar outlet and use a regular battery maintainer like the Stanley FatMax BC8S to do it. They may still be available at Walmart.
https://www.stanleytools.com/product...aintainer/bc8s
Plug the charger into an inverted 120AC outlet and the cigar bullet accessory into the 12VDC outlet. I've been using this method without any problems for over 3 years. Or, some will suggest installing a hard wired Trik-L-Start. That will require some electrical acumen.
2) and 3) Get some long booster cables and use them if you find your chassis battery isn't strong enough to start your engine.
Hard to believe the manufacturer didn't put a battery boost switch in your unit.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:12 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Don’t know about your Thor but on Winnebago View/Navion there is a boost switch. However, neither shore power, generator, or solar charge the chassis battery. You can do as was suggested above. Instead you can install either Trik-L-Start or an Amp-L-Start. That’s what I will be doing on the View I am buying.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:26 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Boost?

Quote:

Thanks!!
While (most) Battery Boost switches are either at step or on the dash at Driver, this REMINDS ME of owner of rig for 10+ yrs before he FOUND his boost switch on left side of BASE of driver's seat? LOL :-)
Old 06-06-2020, 06:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
While (most) Battery Boost switches are either at step or on the dash at Driver, this REMINDS ME of owner of rig for 10+ yrs before he FOUND his boost switch on left side of BASE of driver's seat? LOL :-)
HA! Maybe I'm that guy. I am going to look everywhere to see if I can find the switch....but I don't think I have one.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:02 PM   #6

Quote:
HA! Maybe I'm that guy. I am going to look everywhere to see if I can find the switch....but I don't think I have one.
There's a picture of what it would look like on page 55 of the 2019 TMC - Owners Manual which is available to download from the Thor Motor Coach website. "if so equipped" is the caveat.

Tags
battery, charging, chassis