Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2021, 12:55 PM   #1

How common/uncommon are leveling jack's on 31' Class Cs?

A friend bought a 2 year old Coachman without jack's. I thought it was odd, but he said no jacks is common for Cs.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2021, 01:11 PM   #2

Any class C, 30+ feet long is almost at max weight.

A set of Jack's will leave little for water or personal stuff.

I'd say most Class Cs don't have jacks.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:46 PM   #3

For most Class C units jacks are an expensive option rather than standard, and not always even an option. Most are sold without them. One can usually add them later. I had Bigfoot install mine.

Some Class C models have plenty of OCCC. Mine is a little over 3K lbs, and is 28 feet.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
For most Class C units jacks are an expensive option rather than standard, and not always even an option. Most are sold without them. One can usually add them later. I had Bigfoot install mine.

Some Class C models have plenty of OCCC. Mine is a little over 3K lbs, and is 28 feet.
I did the same. Mine is only a 350 but my OCCC is 2100 pounds. Short coach at 25 feet
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:57 AM   #5

Thumbs down Auto levelers/jacks...

About the only option that is more problematic than auto jacks/levelers are slides with electric steps close behind. As noted they both add weight that the larger Class C's often simply do not have to spare. They will however lighten your wallet somewhat...

I like the yellow Leggo style blocks and there are lots of ways to build your own with 2 X 6, 8 or 10's.

As always... Opinions and YMMV

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:48 PM   #6

I have a 27.5 class c on a 4500 chassis. Lots of carrying capacity. It has bigfoot levelers installed as a option when new. I think they are great.
dustydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:39 AM   #7
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I put Bigfoot levelers (factory install) on the spring of 2020. Used them for the first time this fall. They work great on my 30+ class C.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:37 PM   #8

At our age, 70+ we would not be without them. Levelers were standard on our coach. I can be level and the slides out in 10 minutes.

Too many times trying to level in 100 degree weather made levelers a requirement.
Weeds636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:00 PM   #9

I imagine jacks are great when they work right.....just like slide-outs.

We avoided getting fancy leveling jacks and a slide-out to eliminate potential trouble during our planned 35-40 year ownership. The money saved, the reduced weight, and the potential problems avoided 14 years so far and still no regrets with our decision made in 2007. There is much to be said about simplicity as the rig ages.

Many RVers trade in their motorhome like their cars to avoid headache. But whoa to the person buying an older rig with all that.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:25 PM   #10

Our 2017 32ft Sunseeker Class C came with them. Oh, and 2 slides. We just passed 50k miles and have had zero problems.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:04 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We added HWH leveling jacks to our 31' Mini Winnie. As pointed out, they eat into your limited cargo carrying capacity.

Be sure and weigh the unit and know where you are weight wise before adding equipment.

Ken
Old 11-15-2021, 11:45 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We added HWH leveling jacks to our 31' Mini Winnie. As pointed out, they eat into your limited cargo carrying capacity.

Be sure and weigh the unit and know where you are weight wise before adding equipment.

Ken
The original owner of my rig had HWH jacks installed when new. Rig will be 15 yrs old soon and the only thing I have done is add a qt of HWH jack oil to the reservoir. They go down at every campsite....even if on a level concrete pad ..... adds a lot of stability, especially in breezy/windy conditions. HWH told me that the "hit" on my CCC is between 160 and 180 lb. It's a chore to keep under my GVWR, but I wouldn't give up my jacks. Just my 'sperience FWIW.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:31 PM   #13

Correct that simplicity is good but, for those of us who chose to have leveling jacks, they are worth every penny dollar. However, one answer doesn't satisfy everyone and that's as it should be

While I don't have a count, I believe their are FAR more slide complaints here than for power steps and leveling jacks even less. The RVA jacks worked fine on our 22 year old Safari Trek when we sold it this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
I imagine jacks are great when they work right.....just like slide-outs.

We avoided getting fancy leveling jacks and a slide-out to eliminate potential trouble during our planned 35-40 year ownership. The money saved, the reduced weight, and the potential problems avoided 14 years so far and still no regrets with our decision made in 2007. There is much to be said about simplicity as the rig ages.

Many RVers trade in their motorhome like their cars to avoid headache. But whoa to the person buying an older rig with all that.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:58 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
HELP Please

Haven't the faintest idea where to post this, so have decided to try this thread. Anyone have the pinouts for the 8pin Bigfoot interface harness? I really don't want to pay $64.00 + Freight for a 20 footer when all I need is 6ft. I can find the connectors, but I can't find a pinout or a clear enough picture of both ends to tell which wire goes to what pin. Hoping you guys and Gals can help. By the way, in case you're wondering, someone stole mine. Broke into my MH while I was out exploring. Guess they thought it would be cute to strand me out there. Problem with that, is I could go to the pump and raise the jacks there with a jumper. Made a mess when they tore the panel out, but I can fix that NP.. I can rewire the connectors too, IF I can find a schematic or pinout, or clear pictures of both ends with the colors and connectors showing.
Thanks in advance.

Tags
class c, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks