Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2017, 10:18 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I am with the most that have posted already, and I like the back roads, seeing the "Real America" I use a Trucker road atlas, and take the truck route's! I do use the interstates also, but most of the time, I like the two lanes! I did the same thing in my semi, as time was not a factor most of the time!
I am "old school", and sit down the night before, with my atlas, and plan my route, write down the hwy. #'s, the turn's, on a piece of paper, so all I have to do is glance at it when a turn is coming up, to make sure I am going the right way!
But I am different than the average RV'er, as I have drove the country my whole life, and rarely even have to look at the atlas! But when I venture off the interstates, I do write down the turn's and Rd. #'s, and if there is a bridge out, road closed, I take the detour, or another route that suits me better!
If you follow the truck routes, you will rarely run into a problem! In all Trucker Atlas's they have all the low bridges with the weight limits on all of the state roads listed, so if you have some concern's, all you have to do is look before hand, to make sure the hwy's you will be traveling on are OK!
Back Roads for me now days, with some interstate travel also! Rail!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2017, 04:24 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
In the 15,000 miles so far we use the interstates only if a time constraint means we need to use the interstate or if it is the only way from point A to point B. Otherwise the back roads are the best for seeing the country.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:52 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes - Both, depends on our schedule.

i.e we leave NW Ohio next Saturday and need to be in Phoenix four days later. We'll travel mainly the interstates.

When we leave Phoenix after the first of the year, we're in no particularly hurry, have no particular destination, and tend to take back-roads
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:44 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Driving on interstates is like flying = you get minimal experience.

With my small C - winn 24j (total 30ft with motorcycle rack) I have been on back roads that I know "A" class could not even think of travelling.

Obviously, I use all kinds of roads depending upon time etc. but there is nothing like getting off the interstates to "see" and get the local feel of a place.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:04 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Two lanes and small towns if we can. Of course that's pretty much all we have around here.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #20

We normally try to use back roads, usually state highways. The only problem on some of the back roads is finding a fuel stop large enough for us to get in and out with our 31' class c and Toyota Corolla toad. Because of the fuel problem, we fill up whenever we find a spot that will work regardless of how full the tank is.
ztlrgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #21

If you are going to drive pulling an F150, that doesn't sound a small thing added to a Class C. I think it would not be as easy on small roads. MHO. If you have time, use no interstate. However, if you don't then use I system.

Tags
travel