Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2022, 06:34 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimnpaulc View Post
10.6 With the 7.3 in a 2022 24 foot class C with one slide out. Drive about 60 with a full water and gas tank.
You are getting that low of MPG on a 2022 7.3 24 footer, does it have the long overhead bed and square sides and how many miles on motor?

The reason I ask is my 2021 7.3 24/25 footer gets 11.5 to 12 mpg at 65 mph, was in the low 11's but after breaking in motor and new synclitic oil and air filter it has improved but I am a class B+ no overhead bed and curved sides so air flows over rv better than most.

Does the box style with overhead bed kill that much mpg?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2022, 09:25 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post

Maybe the "one slide out" has something to do with it...

More seriously, I have no doubt that the cab over bed and big square box makes a huge difference. The cab over bed (at least on a typical Class C - ours overhangs the top of the windshield by a good 30") actually creates a "trap" for air - I'd be shocked if it wasn't worse than a flat face Class A.

2021 Thor Quantum LH26
VH1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:57 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
You are getting that low of MPG on a 2022 7.3 24 footer, does it have the long overhead bed and square sides and how many miles on motor?

The reason I ask is my 2021 7.3 24/25 footer gets 11.5 to 12 mpg at 65 mph, was in the low 11's but after breaking in motor and new synclitic oil and air filter it has improved but I am a class B+ no overhead bed and curved sides so air flows over rv better than most.

Fuel economy varies based on so many different things that I am not sure it makes much sense to compare. Comparing is very popular, and I do it as well, but when you think about what causes many of the differences one individual outlier - high or low - may not be meaningful to others and may have very specific causes.

What is the wind direction? What is the wind velocity? Is the road level or hilly? Is there heavy traffic or not? What was the speed of the RV? How consistent was that speed maintained? How heavy is the RV loaded? What are the tire pressures? Is the driver using Cruise Control? Is the engine air conditioner on? What is the outside temperature? Are they towing? If so, how heavy is the toad? And dozens of other questions.

I have driven on I-10 through the Texas panhandle along the exact same route using cruise control and gotten wide differences in my mpg. Sometimes it was 17-18 and once it was 12, in that case due to a very strong head wind.

About the only things I have been able to determine with any reliability are that my average mpg decreases after about 55 mph, badly after 70 mph, and that my fuel economy loses about 1.5 mpg when I am pulling a toad. I am sure others with a Sprinter based RV are getting higher mpg, but I don't know what the conditions are when they are driving.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 02:45 PM   #116

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calson View Post
Have you actually added up how much you spent in the past 3 years for gas for your current motorhome? Unless you drive more than 5,000 miles a year the savings will be tiny. Compare that to what you will pay in sales tax and DMV fees for the new Class C motorhome.

Best way to reduce fuel costs is with a pickup truck pulling a 5th wheel trailer. Friends have been traveling for years with one that is full size and has a loaded weight of 13,500 lbs and the pickp gets 10 mpg when towing and 13.5 mpg when unhitched. They have 3 times the cargo space and 8 times the load capacity of my new Class C motorhome.

Very true. I weighed that when I purchased my Class C.
I am not a full timer and yes the milage is better when towing a 5th but that 13.5 mpg when you are not hitched was the deal killer for me. You have to drive it around town and park it and I would just as soon get 7.5 towing my Cherokee and get a lot better than 13 around town.
It's all relative. If you have a use for a truck other than camping, that can pull comfortably then a 5th is the best way. If not, I'd just rather tow,
Good luck in your hunt!
DamonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:08 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by VH1982 View Post
Maybe the "one slide out" has something to do with it...

More seriously, I have no doubt that the cab over bed and big square box makes a huge difference. The cab over bed (at least on a typical Class C - ours overhangs the top of the windshield by a good 30") actually creates a "trap" for air - I'd be shocked if it wasn't worse than a flat face Class A.
I have a slide as well, maybe it is the design on some class C vs class B+

And for the 1st time I just towed a aluminum trailer with my motorcycle on trailer weight around 1300 pounds and my mpg average dropped to 11 mpg at 65 mph

Tags
class c