Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2021, 08:50 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
How Is The Quality of New Class C Motorhomes These Days?

RV Travel was out this week with an article about the "pathetic quality" in RVs, with opinions from dealers that they’re fed up with what manufacturers are producing. The article apparently comes out of RV Travel participating in nationwide conference calls with large RV dealers and others involved in the sales and servicing of RVs.

A sampling: “It’s some of the worst stuff I’ve seen in 30 years,” said one longtime RV dealer. “It’s horrendous inside and out. But we have no recourse but to put it on the lot and try to sell it.”

And: “There just isn’t any quality control. Manufacturers are not doing a good job of taking care of their customers. It’s gone from bad to worse.”

And: “They just don’t have the expertise to complete a motorhome in Northern Indiana anymore. Their labor force has no eye for quality and they have no way of teaching it.”

Here's the link to the story: https://www.rvtravel.com/pathetic-qu...oducing-1017b/

The article mentions no brands by name, so I’m asking. Which are the better Class C motorhome brands? I’m thinking of replacing a 2004 Itasca Spirit with a 2021 Minnie Winnie 22M. It is primarily to downsize; I've never had a major issue with it. But it is just me now, so I don't need a 32-foot motorhome like I once did. Plus, the current motorhomes have some really nice safety features that aren't on the 2004. And I got a pretty nice RV Show price.

All of which means nothing if quality at Winnebago is in the crapper and the dealer will have my rig more than I will.

Winnebago has historically been ranked among the better manufacturers. Do you think that’s still true? Would welcome opinions about today's quality (or lack of it) of Winnebago motorhomes.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2021, 10:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Well Winne isnt in Indiana if that helps. I looked at new Class Cs in 2019 and felt that Winnebago had the best overall build quality for middle of the road RVs. Spend more on specialty stuff and you'll get higher end, more luxurious product. But of all the large production manufacturers, I think they are your best bet. They do more of their production in house than anyone else, they've been in business longer than most, and they aren’t responsible for lining the pockets of some big investment company.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:17 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Well Winne isnt in Indiana if that helps.
I think the writer was confusing Indiana with Iowa, the RV-Making Capital of the Universe.

But I agree with you on the rest of what you said. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:39 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAParrothead View Post
I think the writer was confusing Indiana with Iowa, the RV-Making Capital of the Universe.

But I agree with you on the rest of what you said. Thanks.
I just read the article and the author was referring to those giant production companies in Elkhart that have gobbled up and degraded so many smaller producers. The only major one in Iowa is Winnebago, along with privately owned Northstar campers and HWH providing mechanical components.

I would have more confidence in a Winnebago product than any other Class C. If you want a little more luxury, you have more options in the B and B+ range.

I find this website to be a useful resource:

https://campaddict.com/learn-rvs/buy...manufacturers/
Old 09-17-2021, 05:36 AM   #5

We purchased a new 2017 Minnie Winnie in 2016 and have been to Forest City for the tour and several maintenance visits. The Iowa plant attracts and retains quality employees who presumably live in the area. Winnebago stood behind our RV after purchase and rectified any issues that cropped up (there were several). The overall quality is very good, especially in this under 100K price point. (We didn't want to spend more than 100k on an RV).

We looked at many RVs at the Hershey RV show in 2016 before purchase. Winnebago stood out in terms of quality and design.

Take a look at the 25B too, I love that floorplan and the simplicity of no slides or jacks. But our 31D with 3 slides and jacks has been mostly trouble free. 1 slide seal got caught in the gear and Winnebago replaced it at no charge. HWH replaced a bad jack right after purchase and they've worked fine since then. The slides are great when we set up for 3 weeks and need elbow room. Winnebago puts awnings over each slide, they never leak or cause any other problems. It takes less than 5 minutes to set the jacks down and open up the 3 slides. This unit (31D) would be too big for me alone too, lots of room!
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I just read the article and the author was referring to those giant production companies in Elkhart ...
Iowa. Indiana. What the hell was I thinking? I need to stop giving some of these brain cells the day off.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:47 PM   #7

If you can spend more, Phoenix Cruiser or Coach House are pretty solid. If you want to stay more mainstream Winnie I think is one of the better choices. I like how they have a part number on every piece of their coach. Open a pantry door and there is a part number on a sticker. That can come in pretty handy down the road.
Col. Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:50 AM   #8

When looking at purchasing a new RV (even a used one) with all comments of shoddy builds. I would not hesitate to hire an independent RV Inspector to check it out. Part of the purchase would be that the RV pass the inspection and if not (depending on the findings) they would have to repair/fix any issues immediately. Also, depending on the findings they would have to greatly discount the RV. I would only purchase a flawed RV if I knew I could do the repairs myself to save some money. I would also write in the contract that the inspection would be paid by the dealer unless no flaws were found. I would also include that nay repairs would be done within 2 weeks and any flaws found within the year would also be repaired within 2 weeks. With all the repair work out there that isn't getting done in a timely fashion you need to cover your a$$ yourself. Because as the dealers say "we have to put it out there and try to sell it". As for me I would order mine to be built, and, I would be there during the build to insure I'm getting a properly build MH. Be your own advocate for your purchase.
Bobthegod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, motor, motorhome, motorhomes, quality