RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2016, 06:17 AM   #1

Question How many of you have Class C, F-450's, over 28' with over 100K and...

...and are you concerned about the high mileage? Planning to keep?

Still looking for a Class C. The latest we came across was a 2011 (F-450), 30 footer with 100K Miles on it. It was a rental unit (not from Cruise America or El Monte). Dealer did all maintenance on it and sent it out for the vehicle work. Not sure if the rental place allowed towing. With our schedule we would likely put less than 6K on it a year.

Some searching revealed:
  • Any modern gas engine should be good for close to 200k before needing a major overhaul.
  • If you are going to drive it 3000 to 5000 miles a year, then the mileage isn't that big a deal.
  • Just make sure to have it fully checked out by a well-rated local RV mechanic.
  • I've run numerous E & F 350 & 450's to well past 200k with no noticeable loss of performance.
  • The most important consideration in buying a used MH is how well the previous owner took care of it.
  • I was told that 100k miles is just about the limit for the gas engine.
  • As to longetivity, it entirely depends on your usage and maintenance habits but I believe modern engines are good for much more than 100k.
  • My opinion is that a properly maintained gas engine should be good for 150,000 to 175,000 miles and maybe more.
  • My 13 year old gas engine has 150,000 miles on it and is showing ZERO signs of age or 'wearing out' at all, it still runs down the road just fine.
TripleClamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleClamp View Post
...and are you concerned about the high mileage? Planning to keep?

Still looking for a Class C. The latest we came across was a 2011 (F-450), 30 footer with 100K Miles on it. It was a rental unit (not from Cruise America or El Monte). Dealer did all maintenance on it and sent it out for the vehicle work. Not sure if the rental place allowed towing. With our schedule we would likely put less than 6K on it a year.

Some searching revealed:
  • Any modern gas engine should be good for close to 200k before needing a major overhaul.
  • If you are going to drive it 3000 to 5000 miles a year, then the mileage isn't that big a deal.
  • Just make sure to have it fully checked out by a well-rated local RV mechanic.
  • I've run numerous E & F 350 & 450's to well past 200k with no noticeable loss of performance.
  • The most important consideration in buying a used MH is how well the previous owner took care of it.
  • I was told that 100k miles is just about the limit for the gas engine.
  • As to longetivity, it entirely depends on your usage and maintenance habits but I believe modern engines are good for much more than 100k.
  • My opinion is that a properly maintained gas engine should be good for 150,000 to 175,000 miles and maybe more.
  • My 13 year old gas engine has 150,000 miles on it and is showing ZERO signs of age or 'wearing out' at all, it still runs down the road just fine.
hope this helps....
I own an auto repair business.....I have fleet accounts that we do repairs on E350/450 service vans, box trucks, and almost daily class C and A motorhomes..

a low mile one is around 200 k... and we service ones with over 300k regularly ...

depending on roads driv'n..... they are in great shape..most have in town use... so signs of wear on seat and peddles is the only way to know...
the V 10 is a great power plant... stay away from the late 90's as they were the ones with bad heads.... not to say there isn't ones out there.... but why take the chance..

I just bought two class C motorhomes ... one for my youngest son, and the other for my employee that has been with me for over 15 years.... they both have 460 motors and both run and drive like new...

the only problem with buying a high mile rig, which is actually low )100k) is resale..
and the problem is not the rig... it's the uneducated buy that doesn't know that there is 2/3 of life left....

the crooks of the older day set in stone that over 100k on a car was the kiss of death.. till the government stepped in.... that is slowly changing...
how is that you ask??? easy.... veh used to only reg. 100k on the speedo

crooks would roll the numbers back to around 50 or 60...that and a veh might have 260k on it and they would say it only had 60k...people would buy them thinking they got a deal...then find out the rear axel bearing were shot... wow... only 60k and it needs the front and rear ends rebuilt..

people back then would buy a car..run it over 200k and and say wow! this is a great car... I sold and olds cutlass that I bought new ... had 270 on it when I sold it...still ran like new , didn't use oil..kept it garaged and it looked new...
told the guy that bought it the miles..... you guessed it..he flipped it.he advertised it as clean one owner... original miles

now with the million mile speedo's... people freak when they see that 1 that pops up at 100k...

so after all that explaining..there is a reason why cruise America offer another 12 mo. warranty.... most all don't need anything...the warranty is a good tool for them to sell the units because track record shows that most need nothing for the next for the next year and most will go way past the 200k mark...

so..... you are better off buying a 2011 with over 100k and a way discount price ... then buying a 2002 with 30k..... lot rot on the coach is way worse than miles on the chassis... bad roofs... faded and chalky fiber glass,,,dryed out leaky caulking...older everything that really is what cause the most work...
only one thing that I look for is rust.... rust never sleeps and can ruin a what would be nice coach
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:36 AM   #3

Woops, meant E450. Thanks for the info. Going to try to get more information on the unit. I know the unit is missing a ladder (no biggie, probably removed for liability issues) but it is missing both slideout awnings which is strange. It does have a regular awning. I'll have to check if has an antenna installed.
TripleClamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleClamp View Post
Woops, meant E450. Thanks for the info. Going to try to get more information on the unit. I know the unit is missing a ladder (no biggie, probably removed for liability issues) but it is missing both slideout awnings which is strange. It does have a regular awning. I'll have to check if has an antenna installed.
if memo sevees me correct... not all slide outs came with awnings... as I remember people complaing about the sides being dirty.....now they don't see how dirty they are, and they never get cleaned... I rather the things not be there and be able to to keep them clean.....when they're out and it rains... they get washed that and it's a cleaner look with out them

as far as the 350-vs 450.... with the 450 you get a 4'' wider axel and beefer springs... pretty much the same everywhere else....with the newer wider body coaches the 450 chassis make them handle better with the wider track
Old 10-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #5

I figured you ment E450.... but there again... the f-450 is a truck cab... and the E-450 is a van.... pretty much the same other wise
Old 10-28-2016, 03:01 AM   #6

The 450 power train and chassis will far out last the rest of the motor home. My experience is after the 12 year mark or so systems start to fail. Generators, slide out motors, appliances etc. We have a 2005 Leprechaun. Right on time we have a generator failure and slide out and furnace issues all in the past month.

Tags
class c