Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2022, 08:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
It was so my wife would drive it.
This is a very popular reason, and the Phoenix Cruiser is one of the friendliest rigs to drive given their great aerodynamics, are only 93" wide and 10 feet to the highest point which is the a/c unit. A lot of widows buy Phoenix Cruisers, most notably the shorter models like ours.

My wife is very comfortable driving our PC, especially when we are not towing our Jeep Liberty, but will do so towing or not.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2022, 01:55 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
While I enjoyed driving all the RV's we owned, the larger ones were more white nuckle for me, especially when dragging a toad. By itself, my PC is only a foot longer than the crew cab, full-size truck we used to have & I loved driving that thing. I can feel the "push" when certain designed semi's pass me but I'm not gripping the steering wheel with a death grip with the PC.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolick22 View Post
I did the exact opposite (could be a mistake) from a F-250 pulling a 5th wheel to a Renagade Super C. My MPG went from 10 MPG pulling my 5th wheel to 8.5 MPG Super C flat towing my F-250. The only problem it that diesel fuel is a dollar more the Gas.

If you are happy, it was the right decision.
GolfingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:22 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
it is all a personal choice, each has their own expectations and limits and goals....

Personally, I am a lower budget rv guy as I have a countryhome get away and use the Rv for a few weeknd warrior trips.. but will venture on a few 1000 milers this summer.. MPG, sure would love the newer tech but I will pay as I go at 7-8 mpg.. LOL 30Ft Class C , if I was serious to do more, I would want a bit bigger or modern slides etc.. 2 stout adults 3 siberian huskies...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:29 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We traded in January of '21 from a Jayco Seneca 33ss to a Pace Arrow 37c because the DW could no longer slither down into the cockpit of the Jayco. And once she got in there the seating and foot room was very cramped.
Now she sits up top with a panoramic view and can swivel her seat and get much more comfortable.
Plus, now I get to buy gas instead of diesel, and both coaches get the same milage (7-8).
I'm a happy camper !!!

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
Yes, the older E450 with the 4 or 5 speed transmission and low-gear differential lowers the fuel economy to about that figure.

In contrast, our 2007 E350 with V10 engine, 5-speed transmission and higher-geared differential, our 24 foot aerodynamic rig HERE gets 10.5mpg (trip averaging) when not towing, but drops to 9.3mpg when towing the Jeep Liberty pictured in-tow in the link.

I emphasis "~5000 mile long trip averaging" calculated manually for best accuracy, not a tank-full calculated under optimal conditions, or a number taken off a ScanGaugeII.
Hi Ron,

When you say older what years do you mean?

Thanks,
Old 04-08-2022, 03:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Hi Ron, When you say older what years do you mean? Thanks,
You will need to verify my data, but the 5-speed transmission replaced the 4-speed around model year 2005/2006.

The 6-speed replaced the 5-speed sometime during the past 7 years.

I am a perplexed concerning the rear differential. Prior to the 6-speed transmission and/or dropping the E-series van, the E350's differential gear ratio was always higher than the E450. But since then, the E350 cut-away and stripped chassis for motorhomes can be equipped either way.

With every extra gear, there is a slight improvement in fuel economy, but more importantly, the behaviors of the drivetrain improves by reducing high-rpm down-shifting with every slight incline. This keeps the engine operating more quietly, and the occupants happier.

I hope someone with solid information will adjust my figures.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:08 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We went from a 36 foot Winnebago Journey DP that was a joy to drive but just more than we needed to a 26 foot TT + nice Ford F150. Missed the motorhome lifestyle so got a 31 foot Winnebago Vista. Decided it was just no fun to drive at all. Curse the Ford F53 chassis sway and tail wagging lol. Even after $4k of chassis upgrades it was still a bear to drive.

We now have a 2019 Winnebago 22M Ford E350 chassis and its so easy to drive and fits all our needs.

When I took all the stuff out the class A that we hauled around I was shocked. Our class C carries everything we really need to camp with and fits in any state or federal park.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:38 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No, I am not going to downsize. I have a rig that is perfect for me after RVing for 18 years. I will simply stay longer at places and travel less- for now.

However, my 34' MH, pulling my Explorer, gets 10 mpg (more if I get a decent tail wind). I do not see giving that up either.
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
No, I am not going to downsize. I have a rig that is perfect for me after RVing for 18 years. I will simply stay longer at places and travel less- for now.

However, my 34' MH, pulling my Explorer, gets 10 mpg (more if I get a decent tail wind). I do not see giving that up either.
I think your calculator is broke?

A 34 foot class A "460 or 454" with a 4 speed trans towing a 4600 lb suv could not possible get 10 mpg, unless you are driving 40 mph all the time.

I had a 08 33 foot F-53 V-10, 5 speed trans never saw above 7 mpg "not towing with a tail wind at 62 mph". [6 mpg towing]

Even had the 5 Star Tuning installed.

And before that I had a 2002 27 foot class A with the big GM V-8 8.1 with a 4 speed trans no slide outs never saw above 9 mpg "not towing at 62 mph". [usually was 8 mpg not towing, 7 mpg towing]
Old 04-08-2022, 10:45 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Thread Reminder

Several posts have been removed as being argumentative and rude responses. Please keep our number one rule in mind, Be Courteous.

Thank you to those posting within the rules.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:05 AM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingRVer View Post
If you are happy, it was the right decision.
Very Happy. It was a good move for us. I do see some RV'er's or potential RV'er's holding off and waiting to buy or downgrade/upgrade. My thought has been, don't put off your dream of doing what makes you happy because of the current climate. Everyday you wait is one less day of memory's. Whether it's downsizing or upgrading it does not mater as long as you and your family are happy.
rolick22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:23 AM   #27

Went from an 05 Monaco Knight 40ft DP to a 22 Jayco Redhawk 31 ft Class C. The maintenance cost on the DP was getting astronomical and we wanted bunks. Couldn’t afford a new DP with the COVID prices.
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:21 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
And happy you did with gas at $5 a gallon

I sold my 33 foot 6-7 mpg class A and bought a new 2021 small class C/B+ with a 7.3 V-8 that has a average mpg at 11.5 and no need for a toad.

Everyday I am glad I made the change before prices went thru the roof on small class C's

I paid $75,000 in 02-2021 and today that same RV sells for $95,000

RV prices will be coming down soon as buyers decide to put off an RV till fuel prices come down and inventory builds at increasing interest.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, class c