Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2022, 09:24 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
We went from a 36 foot Winnebago Journey DP that was a joy to drive but just more than we needed to a 26 foot TT + nice Ford F150. Missed the motorhome lifestyle so got a 31 foot Winnebago Vista. Decided it was just no fun to drive at all. Curse the Ford F53 chassis sway and tail wagging lol. Even after $4k of chassis upgrades it was still a bear to drive.

We now have a 2019 Winnebago 22M Ford E350 chassis and its so easy to drive and fits all our needs.

When I took all the stuff out the class A that we hauled around I was shocked. Our class C carries everything we really need to camp with and fits in any state or federal park.
Surprising as my F53 Georgetown 30x3 is a delight to drive. Surprised you didn’t test drive. Most likely wheel alignment.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2022, 03:06 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
Surprising as my F53 Georgetown 30x3 is a delight to drive. Surprised you didn’t test drive. Most likely wheel alignment.

Why does eveyone assume people don't test drive lol. I did test drive and empty it really did OK. I think it took some 4-5 hour days to really appreciate how much I was juggling the steering wheel and how by the end of the day I was wore out. And yes I had it aligned 3 times with new tires and tire pressure checked. I've heard both sides of the F53 chassis story. Some love and some hate and some think what works for them will work for others. I'm just saying I'm thrilled to be in my Minnie Winnie 22M on the E350 chassis. Less stuff and fun to drive.
Old 04-09-2022, 06:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Why does eveyone assume people don't test drive lol. I did test drive and empty it really did OK. I think it took some 4-5 hour days to really appreciate how much I was juggling the steering wheel and how by the end of the day I was wore out. And yes I had it aligned 3 times with new tires and tire pressure checked. I've heard both sides of the F53 chassis story. Some love and some hate and some think what works for them will work for others. I'm just saying I'm thrilled to be in my Minnie Winnie 22M on the E350 chassis. Less stuff and fun to drive.
Congrats on owning a Minnie Winnie 22M!

What a great little Class C that is ... on the rugged, powerful, and easy to get serviced Ford E-Series chassis. You have all the comforts of home in most all kinds of weather and in a compact little rig that can be used to hookup camp or boondock camp in a large variety of places throughout North America.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Why does everyone assume people don't test drive lol. I did test drive and empty it really did OK. I think it took some 4-5 hour days to really appreciate how much I was juggling the steering wheel and how by the end of the day I was wore out. And yes I had it aligned 3 times with new tires and tire pressure checked. I've heard both sides of the F53 chassis story. Some love and some hate and some think what works for them will work for others. I'm just saying I'm thrilled to be in my Minnie Winnie 22M on the E350 chassis. Less stuff and fun to drive.
A test drive is quite misleading. Iff up the empty fuel tank and the fresh water tank, then take the rig out on the highway with trucks and cross winds and see how it goes.

With our 2007 E350 chassis motorhome, I invested roughly $4000 in suspension upgrades and adjustments. It was an excellent investment. I am in a sweet spot now.

Unfortunately it takes a lot of determination to go through all the steps in the learning process.
Old 04-14-2022, 02:42 PM   #33

Went from 35' gas to 43' dsp. We are Full time, need all that room and amenities. Don't like fuel prices but u Good a go.
Ryancasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 02:52 PM   #34

Downsized from 35' 2013 Allegro Open Rd to a 2018 Winnebago Fuse 24 foot diesel. I get twice the mileage, and frankly twice the fun ... and rarely need a tow car now, too. Big rigs are great for sitting in one place for a length of time, but little rigs are better for going places rather than staying....
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 02:59 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Went from a 2006 40' Newmar after driving it for 13+ years to a used 2018 Winnie 34T Forza and love it. MPG had nothing to do with it. Simply age (81) which means I was not about spend mega bucks on a new rig, and no kids to haul around anymore was the decision. Having to get aquatinted with Winnie's way of doing things wasn't as bad as I thought. Couple things I do not like, but hey, live with it. Rear radiator I don't like. I like to open the back and see my engine, not tear my bed apart. And it does not have a ladder. I am a fanatic about maintenance and like to see my roof often. The one thing I absolutely HATE about it the location of the batteries. No slide out battery rack like Newmar's. Literally have to disconnect cables to get to all the vent caps. Takes me about three hours to do all four batteries, GRRR! Looking into one of those pump systems, (Flo-rite) but am not convinced they work well after reading 100's of reviews. Any thoughts out there on them?
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:00 PM   #36

Sold my ‘21 Tiffin Red 33AA. First yr in 10 we traveled in the winter. Limited places to go in the south in winter and with high campground prices and crowded. Thinking downsize to Tiffin Wayfarer so wife can drive. We are climate change refugees moved from Delray Beach Fl to midcoast Maine off the grid. Fuel not an issue. Just ease of mobility, don’t need all the unused stuff, and easier to maintain.
Wish more posts here on the main subject from what to what.
hudstur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:02 PM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Did so 3 hrs ago, Airstream 24’ interstate. It’s a little tight, but we get average of 16-19 MPG combined hwy/city😁
Blazeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
And happy you did with gas at $5 a gallon

I sold my 33 foot 6-7 mpg class A and bought a new 2021 small class C/B+ with a 7.3 V-8 that has a average mpg at 11.5 and no need for a toad.

Everyday I am glad I made the change before prices went thru the roof on small class C's

I paid $75,000 in 02-2021 and today that same RV sells for $95,000

We didn't downsize to a class C but we did downsize from a 36' class A to a 26' class A. We didn't do it for gas mileage; we did it for easier handling, maneuverability, and storage in our RV carport. What we gave up in overall space was a "full' kitchen, dinette area, outside storage, and a split bathroom. We still have lots of internal storage and enough external storage for the two of us. We gained about 6 mpg, which is good because we went from an 80-gallon gas tank to a 50-gallon. While we could have lived in our old motorhome, we aren't planning to full-time it. We're too fond of our house, big yard, pool, and vegetable garden 😁
Wwdnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:10 PM   #39

Downsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fushux View Post
Went from an 05 Monaco Knight 40ft DP to a 22 Jayco Redhawk 31 ft Class C. The maintenance cost on the DP was getting astronomical and we wanted bunks. Couldn’t afford a new DP with the COVID prices.
May I ask if you did a trade or sold on your own. Who was dealer if traded if you don’t mind
Crabbyjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
And happy you did with gas at $5 a gallon

I sold my 33 foot 6-7 mpg class A and bought a new 2021 small class C/B+ with a 7.3 V-8 that has a average mpg at 11.5 and no need for a toad.

Everyday I am glad I made the change before prices went thru the roof on small class C's

I paid $75,000 in 02-2021 and today that same RV sells for $95,000

No such thing as HAPPY when you have to downsize.

Something got LOST in the way , and this is reason for downsizing.
Old 04-14-2022, 03:15 PM   #41

We down sized three years ago from a 44’ VENTANA to a 25’ View we love it also made a great decision before the Covid hit the fan
Plus fuel mileage went from 5 mpg to around 13 mpg
JMVAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:20 PM   #42

We went from a 42' 5 th wheel Montana pulled by a 350 diesel to a 34' F3 with solar pulling a new 150. Need to be able to boondock and find a campsite on a whim. Can't do that with a 42'.
Oh but I miss the storage space😫 Hubby hated lugging it around, something slways needed repair when we stopped.
Hitdrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, class c