Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2022, 08:47 AM   #85

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Agree it is all about personal choice. For me the choice will not be gas mileage, not a large factor. If I do downsize it will be more about getting too difficult to drive a large rig, stopped longer term camping versus just a weekend here and there etc.
Chargersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2022, 09:45 AM   #86

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 36 ft class A. The room we have is suitable for my family, would never go smaller for gas prices.
Qstaar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:50 AM   #87

Me too. Had a 40 ft 2007 Ambassador. Nice but too big. The 2016 AF 27.5L is perfect for us.
Lashbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:53 AM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We went from a 40 foot to 41 foot to get a bath and a half. So with that said I get the Half Bath and June gets the full bath LOL
Chargersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:29 AM   #89

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
And happy you did with gas at $5 a gallon

I sold my 33 foot 6-7 mpg class A and bought a new 2021 small class C/B+ with a 7.3 V-8 that has a average mpg at 11.5 and no need for a toad.

Everyday I am glad I made the change before prices went thru the roof on small class C's

I paid $75,000 in 02-2021 and today that same RV sells for $95,000

Don't want to rain on your parade, but with assuming that you traded down for the fuel savings, when do you think you might get your first nickel back?

As for not requiring a toad, we've found that size doesn't matter, but breaking camp and re-setting up does and we can always find a place to park a big rig within walking distance of my destination if need be.

There are most likely others that feel differently, but no way would we go from an A to a C or B and it's usually the other way around.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 12:21 PM   #90

We downsized from a 29 foot Class A to smaller RVs some years ago, long before there was an issue with $5.00/gallon fuel. For us it was an issue with being able to get around in towns, being able to use smaller spaces and too much concern with the height of the Class A.

We now have a 25 foot B+ - not that much shorter, but much easier to drive through cities, less concern with tunnel and bridge heights and because we no longer have slides, far less concern about high winds when camping. And the added fuel advantages (8-0 mpg before, 17-19 mpg now) has not hurt either. The A was a gasser and the B+ is a diesel (MB Sprinter chassis) so I also have much more power to use when dealing with hills.

I miss the inside space a bit, but appreciate the outside dimensions more. And I don't miss the $200+ fill ups either.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 01:11 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Don't want to rain on your parade, but with assuming that you traded down for the fuel savings, when do you think you might get your first nickel back?
You make an excellent point.

I feel it is wise for people to have a multitude of very good reasons to make such a change with consideration to their financial security. I find it quite interesting how often people on RV forums change their RV. It's not what my wife and I practice.

Our first motorhome HERE we bought new in 1983 (paid $12,225) and owned for 24 years. We would have kept it longer except that our list of reasons to change resembled a roll of toilet paper.

The rig that replaced it, THIS ONE, we bought new in 2007 (paid $67,205) and plan to keep it until our driver's licenses are revoked from being a threat to others.

With this strategy concerning many such things in life, we remain financially secure in our retirement, so much that we are equipped to do as God calls us. Be the helper, not the helped.

If you are over-blessed financially, that is altogether different. Buy new every few years, trade up, trade down, trade sideways, whatever. Everyone at the RV centers need to make a living too.

It's all good.
Old 04-15-2022, 01:45 PM   #92
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I, too, do miss the space (especially the storage bays) of my Phaeton. But I didn't need to be carrying all that crap anyway. Some stuff was toted around from my 5-r (2004) & never used. It was there just in case. Well, "justin" didn't need to be riding around w/me anymore.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 03:44 PM   #93

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Now I see why 36,000+posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Reminder!

Please keep this topic on DOWNSIZING, not UPSIZING.
Why would you remind folks to stick with discussing downsizing in size. Going the opposite direction discusses the glass that is now full, rather than half empty. Up goes the post count….
lijbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 03:51 PM   #94
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Because it's my job to keep threads on topic. The topic of this discussion is not going from a small RV to a large one...which several posts have stated.

If members want to discuss going from small to large RV's, then please take that to a new thread.

Applicable Community Rule:
Quote:
Be Courteous!
Please think before you post and keep your comments limited to the topic at hand...
Back to the topic: I've had my PC only 2 weeks. I'm quite surprised how nimble it is. Sure I miss the air ride on my Phaeton, but for a truck chassis, it's pretty comfortable to drive.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 07:48 PM   #95

Down sizing, fuel cost and reality…

As I continue to repeat…. Let’s do some math. 2 years ago we paid about $3.00 a gallon for diesel…. Today, let’s say worst case scenario is we pay $6.00 per gallon for diesel…(apply your own math for gas, LP, etc…). Now the average RVer does maybe 5000 TO 7500 miles a year…but probably less. You have a typical buy in of $100k to $300k for most rigs. Insurance at about $1500, maintenance at about another $1500 to $3000 annually, taxes, licensing, camping cost, all that “junk” we have t have..NOT….and on and on…. But back to the 7500 mile math…at say 9mpg…we are talking about $2500 annually additional for fuel…. With all those other numbers, if $2500.00 a year more is a Deal Killer for your RV enjoyment, then maybe you couldn’t afford it to begin with. RVing is an EXPENSE providing enjoyment, memories, entertainment and fun. It is NOT an investment or an appreciating asset. There is a cost for enjoyment…. Fuel is the least cost of the adventure.. Another option is to modify behaviors.. (yes, I know not in the average American’s vocabulary) to offset costs…. Stay longer-travel a little less, eat more at the RV, find more free things to do, drink cheaper beer and wine…you get the idea…. RVing IS expensive!…..now putting my flame suit on..Bob
FlNewmarBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 05:47 AM   #96

When we started RVing, especially on the long snowbird trips, I realized that I didn’t need or even miss all that “STUFF” I had at home. I didn’t miss the big lovely house either.

We have been trying to downsize everything, not just the RV. We sold the 27’ Class A, which we thought was perfect for us, and went to a 20’ Class B. Since nice campgrounds are so hard to book when we want and where we want, we bought a small bungalow in an “old” Florida type community, and a small cottage in the woods up north. We can now come and go as we want. The B is mostly a travel van and a weekend getaway vehicle. Now the big house is going on the market and all the other stuff is going too.

I know it sounds like we still have to much, and we do. I would live full time in the Florida bungalow but my wife wanted to keep a place up north near her family, so that’s why we got it.

I actually think I could live in the Class B if I was by myself and had good facilities/hookups. There is NO WAY I could do that “van life” type of life style you see on YouTube.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 07:04 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Even if it is about the cost of fuel (and often it is not), it isn't always about when you break even. It may be about making sure that your monthly expenses fall within your comfort range. Some people have sufficient liquid assets to pay for their trade because they then find that their monthly costs have dropped significantly and they are more comfortable paying less monthly.

And, of course, often it may be about the increased convenience of having something smaller to drive or not having to pull a toad or being able to camp in some locations that do not allow large RVs. We have been to camping spots in southern Arizona that do not allow RVs longer than 25 feet, or which have low hanging trees or which are much more comfortable for smaller RVs than larger ones.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 07:22 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
We've gone from a 40' Class A to a 30' Airstream trailer. Fits our lifestyle now better. The only thing I think we really miss is having a washer/dryer.
Likewise, we went from a 37' Georgetown to a 32' Greyhawk.
Fuel consumption doesn't seem to be an issue. Maye 1 mpg.

Advantages:
800 Watts solar
Later model
200 Amp Hour Lithium batteries
Handles/drives much better
2000 Watt inverter
Better for boondocking

Disadvantages:
No comfortable seating. We lost our big puffy recliners and gained a hard, fixed sofa.
No trip computer.
No washer/dryer
Less basement storage
Only 30 Amp electrical connection
Smaller generator
Inconvenient water connections/configuration
Leveler is junk. Does not autolevel unless rig is already nearly level.

All in all, it's OK but not great.

Tags
class a, class c