Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2014, 06:41 AM   #29

I went through this exercise when I had money down on a 2014 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV. CCC on the sticker was 1600 and change. After water and my family were on board I was looking at around 1/2 of that for cargo. I didn't even want to start considering the individual axle weights at that point. Plus I knew if I bought that rig I would have been obsessing about every little thing we put in it. Sorta took the joy out of just loading a motorhome (reasonably) and turn the key/drive. Coming from the travel trailer space, we simply wanted easy.

Picked up our new Winnebago last week. CCC on the sticker is 2903 pounds, and it has a better floorplan for our needs (bunkhouse). I even went so far as to get the dealer to give me the axle weights; happily Winnebago has records of the axles as they left the factory. Front was 3950, rear was 7714. *Winnebago gives CCC of rig with 30 pounds of conservative weight added to cover their bases* I have more capacity on the rear axle than the Greyhawk did in its entirety.

Now, to be fair the Greyhawk was more plush inside than is my Winnebago. Better cabinetry, better sinks, faucets, countertops, etc. But it all comes at the expense of weight.

For the family vacation machine, we went w/ the rig that got us closer to turning the key and driving. I'm very cognizant of weights still, but I also know I won't come close to hitting my max CCC. My left over available CCC after loading up will likely be a few hundred pounds less than the total available CCC on that Greyhawk.

Peace of mind.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #30

When i weight my vehicle with total loads. I should compare the weights to the GCWR. Is this correct?
Old 06-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife View Post
When i weight my vehicle with total loads. I should compare the weights to the GCWR. Is this correct?
If you're referring to the weight with your towed vehicle, then yes. You should also check your weights against your GVWR which you can easily figure out if you go to a CAT Scale Locator | CAT Scale . You will get a print out with your steer axle weight, your drive axle weight (the sum of which is your GVW) and your trailer weight (in this case your towed vehicle). The sum of all three readings is your GCW. It's best to get these weights with all on board , full gas tank and all set for camping. Naturally you don't want to be over your GVWR or GCWR.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #32

My weight exceeded the GVWR but it came in less then the GCWR. I will not be towing.
I will use the CAT Scale tomorrow instead of going with the weight I received from a dump waste station. It seem to be good if is less then the GCWR if your not towing.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #33

Quote:
My weight exceeded the GVWR but it came in less then the GCWR. I will not be towing.
I will use the CAT Scale tomorrow instead of going with the weight I received from a dump waste station. It seem to be good if is less then the GCWR if your not towing.
It doesn't really work that way. If you're not towing then the GCWR weight means nothing. The only weight that applies is the GVWR. If you're over that, you're over what the vehicle is rated for.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #34

That is correct Mich, found out in the search. Need to remove some items. Thanks
Old 06-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #35

How about if I remove the items from the RV to keep the GVWR correct and place the items in the tow vehicle and the GCWR still come in less I should be fine is that correct?
Old 06-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #36

Quote:
How about if I remove the items from the RV to keep the GVWR correct and place the items in the tow vehicle and the GCWR still come in less I should be fine is that correct?
That should work, although I have no idea how that Mercedes will perform at or near both the rated GVWR and GCWR. How much overweight are you? Can you just leave some "stuff" behind ?
Old 06-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #37

I am about 1000lbs over
Old 06-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #38

Quote:
I am about 1000lbs over
That's really hard to believe and just doesn't sound right. It looks like your weight is over 12,000#? My 32 1/2' MH, with my wife and I fully loaded for camping weighs 11,940#. If your weight is correct, adding 1,000# to your Honda Fit will put you over your GCWR. I believe you have a tow capacity of 3,500# and the Fit is around 2,600#.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #39

I weighted my MH and it was 11740lbs that without the other two passengers. The GVWR show a 11030lbs.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
I agree, Ken . . . worrying about "safe" is more important than worrying about "legal." This same sort of discussion comes up about supplemental brakes on toads. I've always wanted as much braking as possible, regardless of whatever state I'm in and their applicable laws! Running overweight or without toad brakes seems counter-intuitive.

You are precisely correct. Anyone who has driven for a number of years has almost certainly avoided being in a collision by a few feet, or perhaps inches. A few pounds more weight just might be the difference in your family being injured or not.

Enjoy your travels.

Ed

PS. If you're running overweight and you're behind me, please leave an extra few car lengths between us. Thanks.
ed6713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #41

Quote:
I weighted my MH and it was 11740lbs that without the other two passengers. The GVWR show a 11030lbs.
Unless you're carrying a lot of additional "stuff", it sounds like they have built too heavy a motor home, on that cab and chassis.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #42

Quote:
Was that fuel tank of fuel and water? Some of the issues for being over weight would be if the tires are over loaded and what that rear axle is rated for among other things. I don't know what you have in your coach but I could not imagine personal items weighing so much to exceed the GVW.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight