Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Out of curiosity I hooked up my OBD to see what the fuel flow was on my 8.1L Workhorse at idle, which hovered around .72 gph, and then turned on the AC and it jumped to about .83 gph. Now this is at idle, so I have no idea how that would translate to the increase while driving. Perhaps some knowledgeable folks here would know.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2016, 05:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
You folks in the cooler climes can debate all you want about which is best ---
we in 'da sowth' will do whatever it takes to keep cool - even, shocking and SO wasteful as it seems, using BOTH dash air and roof air !!!
even to the extreme of traveling up north...

but I have to chuckle at some splitting hairs on .6 hp versus 1.0 hp on moving HOUSES that flow through the air like a parachute ?!?

to each his own,
I will run the dash, the gen, the roof air, even a cooling seat cushion on ours to stay cool - which IS the point in the south

The reason I have a m/h is that I spend so much time on the road, and unlike tourists, I do so summer and winter.

I spend a lot of time in 'da sowth', south Florida in particular. That's why I have gotten so good at keeping the coach cool.

I have to chuckle about people with a 43' Class A participating in a Class C thread about cooling and trying to explain to the OP, who has a 26' Class C, what to do to stay cool..........
Old 06-15-2016, 05:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer bird View Post
We tried to suck it up and use just the dash air. But that didn't last long! We put on the genny and used just the front ac and the ride was very comfortable! We are going to close off the back half of the rig but we'll need to install a latch to keep the pocket door in the closed position while traveling. That way we should be able to keep the cool air in the front of the coach.
I normally just run both A/C units. If I'm already running the generator, what's the sense in only trying to run one. As somebody said, These aren't an economical mode of transportation anyway, you may as well be comfortable.

Also, running both A/Cs allows them to share the cooling load, thereby making it easier on both units.

JMHO
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #18

Hey, I really want to thank each and everyone of you. I have an idea as to how I am going to do this but, I am sure I will try a few of your ideas. You guys are wonderful. For an older women, just starting on a life of RVing, I will keep coming back to you and your advice. HA ha, I am sure I am going to need it. Love this site!
klschams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #19

Generators don't get run under load near enuff. You should turn everything on that you have so as to stay cool. You can also hang a sheet behind you to help keep dash air confined. I go through Redding in August. 105, 107, it sux. Staying cool is cool and gas is cheap!
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Murf,
actually didn't realize I couldn't help, nor that I was in the class c subforum, just responded to a 'Recent discussion' that popped up...

take care and stay cool
Old 06-16-2016, 04:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Murf,
actually didn't realize I couldn't help, nor that I was in the class c subforum, just responded to a 'Recent discussion' that popped up...

take care and stay cool

I didn't mean to imply that you couldn't help friend, but poking fun at us 'nord'ners' about staying cool advice (whether we're Yankees or from Cannuckistan) is about as silly as implying that because the dash A/C on a 43'er doesn't do much it means that on a 24' or 26'er it won't do much either.

BTW, the dash A/C on a Ford Class C chassis has more theoretical cooling capacity than 2 rooftop units.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
If there is a privacy curtain that hangs behind the cab area, use it while enroute. It will help keep the chassis air in the cab area. Run the chassis air on max or recirculate. no sense in drawing in hot outside air and trying to cool it. Just keep re-cooling what you have, much more efficient.

Sprinter chassis is terrible in that the recirculate only works for about 10 minutes and then automatically shifts back to fresh or outside air. You have to keep pressing the recirculate button over and over again, or wire the damper in the recirculate position.

Charles
I had the same issue on my 2015 Sprinter chassis. Drove me nuts. I just had it in for service at MB and they reflashed the unit and replaced some regulator. I'm told it's fixed now. We're leaving for Yellowstone tomorrow, so we'll soon find out.

On the OP topic, the Sprinter chassis AC easily cools the entire 25ft coach. I only run the genny and coach AC if we make a long stop to keep everything nice and cool.
JJ Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:02 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Because i always travel.with dogs I run the genie and house AC to keep them comfortable. I have 29' C and i shut the door that separates the bath/bedroom area from rest plus draw my privacy curtain across cab area. If I get hot i hit my dash ac as well and then open the privacy curtain.

Ive never noticed an overall MPG change doing this or in winter . I get a pretty consistent 7.5 if i Go 65 and 8mpg if I go.60...
Old 06-18-2016, 06:00 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Another thing I didn't see mentioned, eliminate / reduce the sources of heat.

I got the idea of reducing sound and heat coming from the engine cover on one of the Class C forums. I added insulation to my engine cove, and it made a big difference in heat and sound coming from the doghouse cover.

Sound deadening and heat shield | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

ALSO - Tinting windows will help keep heat from coming in:

Window tint and window covers | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:08 AM   #25

Ok, If I open the rear vents and use the chassis ac, should I use the privacy curtain also.
olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #26

One more thought.

As I drove my MH yesterday in southern NM (we hit 108 in the afternoon), I was wondering which would be best. My concern at that point was straining and/or overheating the engine. Turning the cab AC off significantly reduces the operating temperature of the engine so using the coach air makes a lot more sense at that point.
Bobski12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #27

American Coach Owners Club
Shut the Cab A/C off and run the Genny ! That's what it's for ! During the Summer-- The Hot months my Genny Runs from the time I leave my driveway until I return a week or 2 later. Non stop most of the time.!
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:27 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by olustee bus View Post
Ok, If I open the rear vents and use the chassis ac, should I use the privacy curtain also.

Open ONE rear roof vent, run the chassis a/c on highest fan setting but NOT on Max a/c, with the privacy curtain open and the center dash vents pointed straight down the middle of the coach.