Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2022, 12:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VH1982 View Post
Are you easily confused?

Maybe explain your confusion.
Ok, I'll bite...
Who removes the wheels from their motorhome to install air bags only to discover that there are already air bags in place? Personally, I would have looked under there first.
Also, who wants the bare minimum lifting jack and support stands to hold up a motorhome? If I'm getting under there, I would insist on equipment that's way overrated for the job and then double it for more cushion factor. There's never too much overkill when it comes to something like that.
Thread just seems a bit "off" to me.
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2018 F-150 Lariat 213cid V6TT / 10speed / 3:55's
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2022, 01:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VH1982 View Post
Any tips?
Crawl under and see how much room to work there actually is.

I installed bags on my first Class C and then on a friends.

I didn't need a jack either time. The brackets went right in and when deflated, the bags just fell into place.

I routed both of the air fill-tubes to a locker by the door for easy filling. I sdded a 12V power socket in the locker and used a 12V compressor kept in the same locker.

I used individual Schrader valves for each side (NO "Y"). 55 PSI per side was good on BOTH rigs.

Tim
Healeyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Ok, I'll bite...
Who removes the wheels from their motorhome to install air bags only to discover that there are already air bags in place? Personally, I would have looked under there first.
Also, who wants the bare minimum lifting jack and support stands to hold up a motorhome? If I'm getting under there, I would insist on equipment that's way overrated for the job and then double it for more cushion factor. There's never too much overkill when it comes to something like that.
Thread just seems a bit "off" to me.
  • The dealer mentioned several suspension upgrades (not including air bags) so it neve occurred to me that they may have been included.
  • Really? A 3 ton jack should be able to lift 6000$, which is roughly half the entire weight of the vehicle. So either the jack was over-rated or I just didn't trust it.

2021 Thor Quantum LH26
VH1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:52 AM   #18

For reference, I replaced the rear shocks on our 2007 E350 RV chassis without removing tires or jacking up the rig. I did it just sitting on the driveway. It wasn't that difficult given the road clearance.

Just maybe installing airbags would similarly apply.

Our rig came with a 6 ton bottle jack that I have used on the rig for other reasons. It works quite well for the heavy rear end. I later thought I'd like an 8 ton or 12 ton bottle jack, but at the store I learned they are quite heavy to handle, so much that I dropped the idea.

I jack up the front of our rig with a 2-1/4 ton (4500 pound) floor jack that I jack up the front of our motorhome with. Our front axle weighs less than 3300 pounds which offers a reasonable safety margin.

Tags
weight