RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2020, 10:30 AM   #1

How to keep mice out of engine

Hello all
Just want to see if anyone has any good ideas how to keep mice out of my motorhome engine. Probably very hard to do but any ideas would be great. Thanks.
Spike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #2

When we lived on an acreage we used to leave the engine hood open when stored off season. The theory being that mice do not like to be exposed.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike25 View Post
Hello all
Just want to see if anyone has any good ideas how to keep mice out of my motorhome engine. Probably very hard to do but any ideas would be great. Thanks.

We store our vehicles in our barn , so the chance of mice is a sure thing.

I have been using Dryer Softener Sheets for years with great success.

I put them under the hoods of our MH , MG and boat . I scatter them in the cabinets and on the floors and in the trunks. I put them on the ground around the tires.

Since finding a nest under the MG hood , the sheets have stopped any further infestation.

Works for us .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:57 AM   #4
IC2

There really is no good way to keep mice at bay unless you can park in a well sealed garage. A hungry cat helps.

There are many threads about this and I have yet to see a real solution. I have just spent an hour today after several previous hours under what I thought was our sealed 5th wheel - and still can't find a mouse doorway.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #5

What brand of Dryer Sheets are you using
TGiboney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:20 PM   #6

Everything I've read on the issue has been debunked from dryer sheets to mothballs to electronic ear zappers that only mice can hear. The next thing I plan to try is wolfsbane! Hey if it works on Ware wolfs it should work on mice right?
Old 10-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #7

You will find that the mice will love your dryer sheets to make new nests. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #8

Traps and Poison works. Look on u tube for all the other things that are proven NOT to work.
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #9

I was pulling my engine cover off not so long ago and felt something like needles scratch the back of my hand. I pretty much tried to do a backflip but it was just a flop. Got a very different grip on the cover and took it off. About four feet of black snake curled up on the driver's exhaust manifold. Since I wanted to work on the engine and there weren't even any scratches on my hand I encouraged him to go elsewhere. Last saw him headed for the garage where I keep my old cars (that I also don't want mice in). Haven't found a mouse in a trap all summer. I don't care for snakes at all but in stored vehicles I consider them very much the lesser of two evils.

I don't like poison as things have a nasty to crawl off into a dark corner and die somewhere where I can't find them even though they stink to high heaven.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGiboney View Post
What brand of Dryer Sheets are you using
I use Downy dryer sheets.

I replace them every month , and after 5 years of winters have not had another nest or sign ( droppings ) in any rig .

I have found sign of them on the work bench and open shelves , so I know they are still around .

Whether other brands of sheets work , I wouldn't know as Downy is the only brand I've used .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:42 PM   #11

I found what looked like a mouse nest made of battery insulation and some small mice feces in my Ram pickup a couple years ago, and used a product called all natural Rodent Defense Spray. It gets a lot of bad reviews, and some good ones, but since I started using it I haven't had any mice return. It has a strong minty smell, but when I use it it doesn't go into the cab.

Recently I took the dog house off my 2010 Tioga and saw avocado pits and macadamia remnants in the valley of the V10. I didn't see any wire damage, but I vacuumed everything out and sprayed the heck out of it with that same spray, then opened it up a week later nothing was there. I sprayed it again and they haven't returned yet. In fact it was just opened up again because I had it smogged, and no sign of any more activity.

By the way the motorhome is parked in my backyard right next to a macadamia and avocado tree. Very convenient for the squirrels!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vehicle-P...ls-M/361685210
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
I found what looked like a mouse nest made of battery insulation and some small mice feces in my Ram pickup a couple years ago, and used a product called all natural Rodent Defense Spray. It gets a lot of bad reviews, and some good ones, but since I started using it I haven't had any mice return. It has a strong minty smell, but when I use it it doesn't go into the cab.

Recently I took the dog house off my 2010 Tioga and saw avocado pits and macadamia remnants in the valley of the V10. I didn't see any wire damage, but I vacuumed everything out and sprayed the heck out of it with that same spray, then opened it up a week later nothing was there. I sprayed it again and they haven't returned yet. In fact it was just opened up again because I had it smogged, and no sign of any more activity.

By the way the motorhome is parked in my backyard right next to a macadamia and avocado tree. Very convenient for the squirrels!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vehicle-P...ls-M/361685210

Thanks for the response. I will try it.
Spike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike25 View Post
Thanks for the response. I will try it.
Good luck, and by the way you can spray everything with it, like the wires and the cable sheaths, and they even recommend spraying down around the tires.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:48 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Put some traps, either sticky or snap. You have to get rid of them not chase them away.

Tags
engine, mice