Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2018, 09:54 AM   #1

HVAC does not seem adequate for my Thor

We have a 30ft 2016 Thor Four Winds 28a. It doesn't seem the AC is good enough for this Florida weather.

I have an Coleman Mach 15 I put in my pop up. It put out almost too much for my popup and seems so much stronger than the one in the Thor.

Considering switching them and putting the Coleman in the Thor before I sell the popup.

I assume the Thor has the 14 x 14 inch vents.

What do you think?

What other cooling solutions?
DougLeppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Yes, most all rooftop A/C units fit in a 14" x 14" opening, but ducting, controls, etc. might be very different from a Class C to a pop-up.

You didn't mention the size of the A/C you presently have. Check that the thermostat in the RV is compatible with the Coleman 15. Is the unit in the Class C ducted or not? If you plan to put the A/C unit from the Thor in the pop-up, also make sure it's compatible with the thermostat in the pop-up.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #3

We have a Thor 2017 Chateau 31L with a 15K BTU, Mach15 air conditioner. Open the roof vents on unit for quick cool and close them to use the vents through out the unit. Worked great out west earlier this year and works good down here in Florida. It is key to keep the intake screens/filters clean or it will not cool well.
Fluidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluidone View Post
We have a Thor 2017 Chateau 31L with a 15K BTU, Mach15 air conditioner. Open the roof vents on unit for quick cool and close them to use the vents through out the unit. Worked great out west earlier this year and works good down here in Florida. It is key to keep the intake screens/filters clean or it will not cool well.
thanks
Old 10-27-2018, 02:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

Yes, most all rooftop A/C units fit in a 14" x 14" opening, but ducting, controls, etc. might be very different from a Class C to a pop-up.

You didn't mention the size of the A/C you presently have. Check that the thermostat in the RV is compatible with the Coleman 15. Is the unit in the Class C ducted or not? If you plan to put the A/C unit from the Thor in the pop-up, also make sure it's compatible with the thermostat in the pop-up.
good advice will check into it.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:04 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same issue, south texas at 102 degrees, 32 ft class c with Coleman 15k unit, best it would do at 102 was 84 inside, so this is not the first RV I have owned, while changing light fixtures on the interior roof I found that I was getting cold air into the roof cavity, used a cheap borescope camera and found that the front roof vents ducts had gaps in in them, installed a airtex(coleman) chill grille and problem solved I leave the front vent open on the new roof( interior) assy, and get better performance. 78 at 104 outside temp in direct sunlight. Best model I made on my 07
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
I had the same issue, south texas at 102 degrees, 32 ft class c with Coleman 15k unit, best it would do at 102 was 84 inside, so this is not the first RV I have owned, while changing light fixtures on the interior roof I found that I was getting cold air into the roof cavity, used a cheap borescope camera and found that the front roof vents ducts had gaps in in them, installed a airtex(coleman) chill grille and problem solved I leave the front vent open on the new roof( interior) assy, and get better performance. 78 at 104 outside temp in direct sunlight. Best model I made on my 07
Thanks will check it out.

Tags
thor