Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2021, 11:04 AM   #1

HW Heater/Handling

94 Gulf Stream, great shape, 40k original miles, but off highway a tug boat,, is there anything we can do to make it less boaty ? Also HW heater went out its a Suburban SW6D, do I have any options for an upgrade, can I adapt an on demand unit ? Has anyone ever done anything different ?
mtnxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2021, 01:41 PM   #2

What chassis is you Class C built on ? Ford ? Chevy ?
Old 07-22-2021, 05:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
What chassis is you Class C built on ? Ford ? Chevy ?
Ford Chassis 350 series.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:48 AM   #4
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Bilstein heavy duty shocks have been recommended on this forum.

I had a class A that was a boat till I put Koni FSD shocks on it. Very expensive, but they did the trick.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:40 AM   #5

Any ideas on the HW heater.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:20 AM   #6

You probably have too little positive caster. You need +5 degrees or more for highway speeds.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...el-226353.html
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
You probably have too little positive caster. You need +5 degrees or more for highway speeds.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...el-226353.html
Its not bad at all on the highway, its regular roads, back roads etc. its like being on the ocean cruise !
Old 07-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #8

Have you weighed the coach loaded for travel; checked the weights against the chassis rating ; and set the tire pressures accordingly ?
Old 07-23-2021, 11:20 AM   #9

There was a recent thread on demand water heaters. As I recall, the take was not all the great of an upgrade. Complaints were basically took too long for water to get hot, and then not all that hot.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
There was a recent thread on demand water heaters. As I recall, the take was not all the great of an upgrade. Complaints were basically took too long for water to get hot, and then not all that hot.
hmmmmm really, do you have a link thanks
Old 07-24-2021, 07:39 PM   #11

Up to and including model year 2007, the Ford E350 motorhome chassis was NOT equipped with any kind of rear stabilizer bar, and the front stabilizer bar was the same one installed on an E150 van. That is a very inferior setup for a huge house and contents on that chassis which weighs close to GVWR 100% of the time.

I strongly advise to install heavy duty Helwig or Roadmaster front and rear stabilizer bars along with heavy duty Bilstein-RV shock absorbers. They will remove the worst of what I refer to as "Drunken Sailor" handling. If you are a perfectionist, also replace your under-rated Ford OEM steering stabilizer with a heavy duty Safe-T-Plus.

Been there, done that with our 2007 E350 chassis....and are very happy with the results.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
Up to and including model year 2007, the Ford E350 motorhome chassis was NOT equipped with any kind of rear stabilizer bar, and the front stabilizer bar was the same one installed on an E150 van. That is a very inferior setup for a huge house and contents on that chassis which weighs close to GVWR 100% of the time.

I strongly advise to install heavy duty Helwig or Roadmaster front and rear stabilizer bars along with heavy duty Bilstein-RV shock absorbers. They will remove the worst of what I refer to as "Drunken Sailor" handling. If you are a perfectionist, also replace your under-rated Ford OEM steering stabilizer with a heavy duty Safe-T-Plus.

Been there, done that with our 2007 E350 chassis....and are very happy with the results.
Makes sense, I never looked under. I bet just a rear stabilize would help.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post

Does the stock E350 rear shocks and sway bar fit or is the camper special ?
Old 07-25-2021, 11:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnxtreme View Post
Makes sense, I never looked under. I bet just a rear stabilize would help.
Yes, doing just that alone will make a big difference, but you really want to upgrade the front bar at the same time so that the load is stabilized appropriately throughout the vehicle to all 6 tires.

The original front stabilizer bar is nearly a decoration. It is severely under-rated for the application. Compounding the situation is the way the ends of the bar are connected. They pass through rubber grommets in the lower control arms which wear away quickly, creating a gap which translates to "play" within the wimpy stabilizer bar.

Emphasizing here, install both front and rear heavy duty stabilizer bars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnxtreme View Post
Does the stock E350 rear shocks and sway bar fit or is the camper special?
You want the heavy duty stabilizer bars and shocks for the DRW (Dual Rear Wheel) E350 chassis.

I bought my Bilstein shocks from Tire Rack. They were just about the cheapest price I found anywhere. I have done business with them many times, sometimes involving returns or exchanges. They have exceptional customer service when something goes wrong so I was very comfortable paying just a little more to give them my business.

If working with Tire Rack, be sure to select the Bilstein shocks stated as "Performance for class C motorhomes".
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater