Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #1

I’m new and I don’t know what to do...

Hello all, I’m new... obviously.
So I’m expecting the usual “another new ‘what do I buy’ thread bashing session”, but we don’t yet have an RV and have made the decision to purchase one. I’m 35 with a wife and two kids (5yr girl and 3yr boy) and this is for vacations of random durations, not to “live in”. Our original Rv we seemed to gravitate toward online was a new Thor Quantum PD31.
Our basis for this is that the vibe (not actual evidence) we are getting is Thor Is good bang for your buck while there are other expensive or cheaper brands. I don’t mean to insult anyone at all so I’m not mentioning other brands specifically. And we could be completely wrong about this “vibe”.
As I have not purchased an RV before I feel a little weary as well about the price pints. For example here in west Texas camping world has a 2019 four winds 31W for $79,999 that shows mars of $121k. Just like a car purchase this would appear to be a great markdown, but I wonder how to tell if it’s actually good or not since I have no purchasing experience. And of course I’m wondering if I’m even looking in the right place or at the right items.
Long story short, any suggestions on place of purchase, RV selection (class c) specific, or understanding price and value?
TIA
Halpain17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2019, 07:24 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Much of the brand bashing I’m convinced comes from people who never owned the rv they’re bashing. Could be wrong, but don’t think so. You may want to do some research by looking at several sites that sell the unit you are interested in. There are a lot of them. Compare equipment add-ons, their version of msrp, everything you can. I believe you’ll find most folks on the forums will advise that you start negotiating down from the discounted msrp number. Use that as a starting point and go down from there. Have fun looking and deciding and try not to get wrapped around the axle. No pun intended.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:25 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
25-35% mark down is normal. I would recommend looking at used especially if it is your first rv experience. No one knows for sure what they will like and not like until using it and the depreciation hit on a new unit is much more substantial when you decide you want something else that will work better for you. Also buying new does not guarantee that there will be no issues. Slightly used will usually have most of the bugs worked out. I see people talk about having warranty work done for months in the first year on new units. The single most important issue on any rv purchase is finding a floor plan that will work for your family. The bad thing about Camping World's prices are the add on's they hard sell you on in the finance office. The rv price isn't terrible but after the prep fees, inspection fee's, extended warranty's, paperwork fee's, protection packages, ..... it all adds up to a tremendous waste of money. A 79,995 rv will easily finance for 90-95,000 at Camping World. I don't care for Camping World bashers but this part is true.
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies! I found a couple other threads I’m reading through and learning quite a bit already.
I grew up on RV vacations. We had a 40’ pusher in the early 2000’s that my brother still has. And when I was younger we traveled quite a bit in a class C. But as far as owning personally I’m new since I of course was only a kid back then and got to enjoy only the “good parts” of owning an RV.
My concern with New vs Used was actually warranty as I’ve read that most Rvs have major mechanical malfunctions within the first five years anyway. As well as I have no idea how to tell if previous owners took care of a used RV.
Halpain17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:58 PM   #5

We have a 2017 Quantum WS31 that we bought new. It had one issue that I felt like the factory needed to address, so it went back to Wakarusa last January. The issue was a panel underneath that wasn't formed and installed correctly and was a potential long term water intrusion issue. I made one trip back to the dealer for repair and reseal one of those lights on the front of the overhang simply because I wanted it documented and it be their repair if a later issue. Otherwise,
Replaced a water heater control board.
Adjusted the slide roller plates. I didn't know that they were an issue, but Jim did.
Reinforced and relined the bottom of the large storage compartment. Problem was my negligence (not properly closing door and allowing rain intrusion) and overloading.
Replaced bathroom door for a cosmetic blemish that only SWMBO saw.
Replaced the water pump because Jim thought it was too noisy.
Replaced the inverter after blowing up the original, BUT they were attempting a wiring change that I had asked for. The inverter wouldn't handle the entire change and they made it a partial by installing a new outlet under the bed for us.
Thor C/S has been great for use to work with, as well as as LCI for their stuff.
My downsides? The battery box needs to be about 1.5 inches taller to accommodate real 6 volt batteries, flexible water lines have been upgraded stainless, and that's about it.
Only other is the LED light strip for the awning has expired and I need to order a new one.

Not bad for a POS, huh?
Now remember, this is coming from an actual Thor owner.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:05 PM   #6

If I was starting out, for under $80k, with a family like yours,, I would look at a 2 or 3 yo Winnebago Brave. They come in a variety of configurations, including bunkbeds and are pretty advanced in their design!
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:13 AM   #7

I would say go even older, buying a better quality unit, maybe in the 10+ year range as these units are further down the depreciation curve so loose less value each year. This is particularly important if you will only get to use the coach a few weeks per year, as otherwise you might be better off renting even at seemingly insane RV rental rates.

Take a look here at what the same sort of money can buy in an older coach

Just 4 years old, can get you something like this

https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pr...25032?ref=list

Or if you are willing to consider a little older, and LOT more upscale a bit less money can buy you

https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pr...31789?ref=list
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I would say go even older, buying a better quality unit, maybe in the 10+ year range as these units are further down the depreciation curve so loose less value each year. This is particularly important if you will only get to use the coach a few weeks per year, as otherwise you might be better off renting even at seemingly insane RV rental rates.

Take a look here at what the same sort of money can buy in an older coach

Just 4 years old, can get you something like this

https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pr...25032?ref=list

Or if you are willing to consider a little older, and LOT more upscale a bit less money can buy you

https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pr...31789?ref=list
I agree about buying a used one with much better amenities. As much as I love our coach, Thor doesn't have the combination of what we want new or used so we will be getting an Entegra. There are some really great deals if you take some time.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #9

I had a 2000 Thor Hurricane on a Workhorse chassis, bought used in 2011. Thor construction was mediocre. I liked the design of the 30Q but cabinets and dresser woodwork was a big negative. There was a lot of improvement in the later models. I was disappointed they quit making the model. Thor makes some good some not so much.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:31 AM   #10

If I were 35 years old, married with two little children and plans to travel around the country to our great national parks, I would consider a Coachmen Freelander 21QB for it's mobility through national parks, yet offers decent accommodations for a family such as yours. They can be purchased brand new for $50k-$55k.

If your plan is to go to a single destination, setup camp and stay put for the duration of your vacation, then consider something bigger as you are.

As far as buying a new entry level rig versus used quality one, you owe it to yourself to consider both options.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:31 AM   #11

Look on line for a site that lists actual dealer cost for rv,s. Can’t remember the name. What it shows is that in general the industry mark up is like this.

Cost to build 100k
Sold to dealer for 200k
Msrp of unit is 300k

For this reason you should try for a 30% discount or as close as you can get. We just ordered a class c and the lowest price by a long shot was RVOne. Take your time researching and you will do good. Do not buy on impulse.

Enjoy the journey
Old 06-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpain17 View Post
Thanks for the quick replies! I found a couple other threads I’m reading through and learning quite a bit already.
I grew up on RV vacations. We had a 40’ pusher in the early 2000’s that my brother still has. And when I was younger we traveled quite a bit in a class C. But as far as owning personally I’m new since I of course was only a kid back then and got to enjoy only the “good parts” of owning an RV.
My concern with New vs Used was actually warranty as I’ve read that most Rvs have major mechanical malfunctions within the first five years anyway. As well as I have no idea how to tell if previous owners took care of a used RV.
I would google "Camping World" if I were you.
Good luck with your purchase.
Have you looked at PPL Motors they have 3 locales in TX
Adverturous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:00 PM   #13

All of these coaches mentioned are beautiful motorhomes, any of which would be nice! I mentioned the Winnebago Retro Brave only because of their age group. The Retro Brave is designed with the millennial family in mind.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:20 PM   #14

Buy used. Pay to have it inspected by a Pre Purchase Inspection guy.