Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2021, 01:30 PM   #1

I want a Rear View Camera - NOT backup camera

My brand new 2022 Tiffin Wayfarer has a great backup camera in the dash.

What i need is a great "rear view" camera. I cannot stand looking up at the area where a normal rear view mirror would be located and seeing NOTHING. I am not currently towing anything, but may at some point in the future. I just like to see what is behind me on the road. Like you would in a "normal Car."

Can anyone recommend for or against any brand? I would love it to be wireless, but would be glad to have any information.

Thanks for your help
JosieNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2021, 01:58 PM   #2

Does your Wayfarer have a factory rear view mirror attached to the windshield?

I do in the cab of my Ford E450, and I purchased a rear view system where the monitor attaches itself to the mirror…..which is useless in a Class C anyway.

They also offer monitors that you would attach to your dash too……wired or wireless.

https://www.tadibrothers.com/
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Lots of good reviews, I believe, from Tadi Brothers. Also from rvcams.com

I purchased an upgrade (hardwired camera + monitor) from RV Cams and both the service and tech suppt were "old fashioned great" IMHO. Usually the owner answers the phone, but his techs are super good too. They do sell wireless cams (but they don't like 'em much.) $ to donuts your Tiffin Wayfarer is prewired .......... but maybe not. RV cams will likely know.

If you leave your B/U camera on while traveling (many do, incl me) it is, in fact, a rear view cam. Very high quality image and super wide angle too. A nice feature on the Voyager I got is that it has audio.....so you can plainly hear the "lookout(s)" assisting you when you back in to a spot (maybe that is typical these days...dunno.) You can turn off or "turn down" the audio when on the road.

I believe most folks retain the rear view mirror on the windshield ..... to see at a glance what's going on with their kids, etc.

Good luck in your quest. Good times and safe travels to ya.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:23 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you already have the camera/ monitor, you just need a little rewiring to convert. At Camera, remove camera power wire from the Backup Light circuit; if camera mounted low, mount it high, just below CLEARANCE LIGHTS , (below clearance lights to reduce glare/ reflection at night) and power Camera from the Clearance Lights (Then camera system is controlled by the ON/OFF from HEADLIGHT SWITCH= PARKING LIGHTS/ CLEARANCE LIGHTS/ CAMERA POWER. To get the MONITOR to come on continuous, find the wire that goes to the PARKING BRAKE and GROUND it; then Monitor is controlled from the IGN Switch. You will need at least Parking Lights when driving to get camera to work; I use my headlights.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieNurse View Post

What i need is a great "rear view" camera. I cannot stand looking up at the area where a normal rear view mirror would be located and seeing NOTHING. I am not currently towing anything, but may at some point in the future. I just like to see what is behind me on the road. Like you would in a "normal Car."

Can anyone recommend for or against any brand? I would love it to be wireless, but would be glad to have any information.

Thanks for your help
I recommend the same supplier in CA as mentioned earlier by another poster ... they offer a wide selection of wireless rear view camera systems at various feature and performance levels:
https://www.tadibrothers.com/
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:09 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieNurse View Post

Thanks for your help
You should be able to put the backup camera in fulltime mode so that it is on all the time and not just when you put the vehicle in reverse. We do not have the same brand of motorhome so I can't be of much help on how to do that but someone here should know. Post the manufacturer of the in dash system. Look on the internet for a PDF manual of your system and there could be directions on how to the camera in fulltime mode.

Here is a nice solution that mounts in place of the rearview mirror. I purchased one of these for our new coach but have not installed it yet because it is quit a job installing the cables.

https://www.asaelectronics.com/product/vom74mm/

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:33 AM   #7

My backup camera can be set to be on all the time, not just in reverse. Helps to know when I’ve passed a car so to pull back over.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 05:44 AM   #8

I do not want to “mess with” the back up camera. I want a totally separate camera to constantly see what is behind me on the road.
Does anyone have such a camera set up?
JosieNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:02 AM   #9

I'm with JosieNurse ... I have a backup camera that is on all the time -- problem is, it just shows a few feet from bumper to maybe half of my TOAD.

Having a rear view mirror type arrangement would be nice -- even if it is a smaller 5-7" display mounted to the overhead that really shows what is behind. I know some of the Dashcams offer a good view behind, but those are usually for recording and have the really small screens.

I'm looking too...like the idea of wireless but expect the wired will be much better -- but a lot more work to put in.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:06 AM   #10

Had one on my boat. Just a security camera that can be set for reverse image and a 7" portable TV. It wasn't wireless.

If you get a wireless setup, the camera still needs power. Should be able to tap into the trailer connector for 12 volts.
Make sure you can set it for reverse image. Without reverse image, what you see will mess with your brain.

I have the video output of my backup camera plugged into the same kind of TV on my MH dash. Always on.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:14 AM   #11

Camera view angle

So, you want a "real" rear view camera. I do to. I have a travel trailer. I bought a "backup" camera and installed it. As pointed out in an above post, it does not work so well as a "rear view".

I little wiser now I went looking for a "rear view". The trick is the angle of view. Back up camera's have an extreme wide view. Rear view have a narrower view. It is rated in degrees.

Very few systems are available that are rear view. I gave up getting one. It was too hard to find a good one and I didn't think it was worth all the trouble. I don't remember the angle that was better for rear view, but it is the less common lower degree one.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:31 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I've been using one of these for rear view for the past two years and it does a good job. I see it's not currently available, but it may give you an idea of what to look for.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tapped into the original backup camera for power.

If you go wireless make sure you get one where the signal is digital, not analog. The first one I got was analog and the signal didn't travel fast enough from camera to receiver. I was literally outrunning the signal at highway speeds, which means the display would only update every few seconds, making it virtually worthless for what I wanted.
Also make sure the advertised length the signal can travel is long enough, for instance the one I linked to is 60 feet. My RV is just under 38' long, so it needs to have a good strong signal about 35 feet away at highway speeds. I assumed/guessed that a camera that claimed a signal distance of something close to twice what I actually needed would work, and it has.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:02 AM   #13

I had a Weldex camera/monitor in a prior motorhome that was motorized and could be tilted upward to a rear view position by pressing a button on the monitor. This was in a 2007 vintage DP, the monitor/camera were black/white, but I enjoyed the tilting feature.

RV Cams shows availability of a color version of the motorized camera.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:23 AM   #14

For our TT we went with a wireless from these guys: https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...-monitors.html

We now have a C and can leave the backup camera on. As some have mentioned, it has a limited view. I think I will be adding a monitor that replaces the useless rear view mirror.
BeagleDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, rear, view