Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2018, 08:36 AM   #1

Installing King Tailgator w/MB700 removable mount

Guidance needed to install a King Tailgator satellite dish antenna and removable bracket on a Winnebago 2017 Navion

I have a 2017 Navion 24V and plan on installing a Tailgator dish antenna on the roof using the MB700 removable mount and have the following questions of the group. Has anyone installed one of these removable mounts?

1. I heard from the forums that some View/Navion prewired cable installations do not always show up under the label on the roof. How do you fish out the cable if it isn’t where Winnebago placed the label?

2. How big of a hole for the cable should be drilled in the roof to allow enough room to fish out the cable and not be too large to accommodate the cover?

3. What is the best tool to drill the hole? Maybe a hole saw?

4. How should the removable mount be attached to the roof? The manufacture recommends 9 screws but many on the forums dislike drilling holes and use 3M tape instead. I am not sure the removable bracket would be suited to tape as there is not a great deal of surface area on the bracket to allow good adhesion so screws might be the best bet. Seems like a gasket for the mount would also be preferable but not provided.

5. If screws are the best solution are there screws made specifically for the roofing material of a Winnebago or should I just use standard stainless sheet metal screws?

6. When sealing the roof and mount the King instruction manual suggests sealing around just the head of the screws but no mention is made of under the bracket between the mount and roof. Do I need to be concerned with water penetration between the roof and the bracket? The roof mount is made of a hard plastic material and it seems water could leak between the bracket and roof and into the hole. Should I fill the hole with the roof sealer before attaching the mount and screwing in the screws? Then seal around the head of the screw?

7. Is Dicor recommended for these installations or the sealing product Winnebago recommends the best alternative?

Thank you for your input in advance. This group has so many knowledgeable participants I didn’t want to tackle this job myself without checking in.

Mike
17NV IL
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Tags
install