Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2021, 09:39 PM   #1

Intermittent vs Continuous Solenoid for Charging?

Hi. I bought a used 2015 Forrester MBS 2401S in late summer of 2020 and discovered right away that house batteries were not getting charged via alternator. Took it back and tech diagnosed it as needing new BIM ( part # 00-10028-200 from Precision Circuits ) and ordered it. This is the discontinued BIM "control only" moduley hooked up to Trombetta solenoid.

This did not fix problem so I eventually brought back to dealer who then replaced the Trombetta solenoid. At first it did not appear to fix the issue as was not seeing close of relay within few minutes of engine start. But after a 45 min drive I was able to verify the close of the solenoid/relay occurred at some point by seeing 14.1V on both solenoid posts. Same observation on return trip.

I also noticed that the new Trombetta solenoid installed was a "25% duty" ( intermittent ) spec whereas my original solenoid was the "100% duty ( continuous ) spec. I ran this by PC support and Daniel could not explain why not seeing solenoid close just after start up and I asked him because the dealer ordered/installed the "intermittent" version of the Trombetta solenoid if that could make a difference but he could not say. :-(

So could anyone confirm for me that it is worth asking/insisting dealer to reorder the "continuous" duty version Trombetta that was originally installed in my RV?

I have read in the various forums only references to "continuous" solenoid installs for charging systems. Though not sure if this would allow the close of the relay to "kick in" quicker?

Would appreciate anyone's input on this. Also attaching pics of my config in left of stairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIM 2.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	349625   Click image for larger version

Name:	BIM 1.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	349626  

bmetivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2021, 09:53 PM   #2

intermittent or continues duty only refers to the amount of time the solenoid should be energized. You should have a continuous duty rating solenoid as it will fail quickly with the intermittent duty version installed.

As far as it being energized from the PC BIM, Either version will operate the same (until failure). To test, measure the voltage on the two smaller posts, when the BIM is commanding the solenoid to close you will see 12 volts across the terminals.

You have the incorrect part for your application but that is not the reason it is not closing within the specs provided by PC. PC has the troubleshooting flow chart and specs on their website. It is not only time dependent to activate but also voltage.
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:17 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Continuous-Duty should be used on CHARGE CIRCUITS, as this refers to the COIL in the solenoid, and will overheat/ weaken/ burn out, from what I have read if NOT C-Duty.

As to charging on Start-up, I have read of some circuit designs that have a "TIME-DELAY built in to prevent relay chatter during/ following startup"? (or something similar?)

Starter solenoids, OTOH, will reliably pull in and connect at the LOWER VOLTAGE (10-11+vdc?) that you experience during cranking, so 13-14vdc is too high for continuous use= GETS REAL HOT= short life. At what voltage they CHATTER, I am unsure?

AND FYI/ Footnote: SILVER contact solenoids (= MORE $$) will have a #cycles rating double a simple copper contacts rated cycles, but many uses, copper lasts 10-15+years?
Old 11-23-2021, 05:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmetivier View Post
Hi. I bought a used 2015 Forrester MBS 2401S in late summer of 2020 and discovered right away that house batteries were not getting charged via alternator. Took it back and tech diagnosed it as needing new BIM ( part # 00-10028-200 from Precision Circuits ) and ordered it. This is the discontinued BIM "control only" moduley hooked up to Trombetta solenoid.

This did not fix problem so I eventually brought back to dealer who then replaced the Trombetta solenoid. At first it did not appear to fix the issue as was not seeing close of relay within few minutes of engine start. But after a 45 min drive I was able to verify the close of the solenoid/relay occurred at some point by seeing 14.1V on both solenoid posts. Same observation on return trip.

I also noticed that the new Trombetta solenoid installed was a "25% duty" ( intermittent ) spec whereas my original solenoid was the "100% duty ( continuous ) spec. I ran this by PC support and Daniel could not explain why not seeing solenoid close just after start up and I asked him because the dealer ordered/installed the "intermittent" version of the Trombetta solenoid if that could make a difference but he could not say. :-(

So could anyone confirm for me that it is worth asking/insisting dealer to reorder the "continuous" duty version Trombetta that was originally installed in my RV?

I have read in the various forums only references to "continuous" solenoid installs for charging systems. Though not sure if this would allow the close of the relay to "kick in" quicker?

Would appreciate anyone's input on this. Also attaching pics of my config in left of stairs.
I believe the older version used the external trombetta and did not close the relay until the chassis battery was fully charged. That explains why it does not immediately close the contactor. The new version has a magnetically latching contactor and always connects both battery banks together when there is a charging source and disconnects the battery banks when the ignition is shut off. Sounds like they installed an older version.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:13 AM   #5

They should have installed a continuous duty solenoid. The intermittent one will overheat and burn out if operated continuously . There is a time delay and voltage sensing module that controls the operation of the solenoid, so they will both operate the same.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:33 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies everyone. I actually stopped in at the dealer today and talked to the tech. He was questioning why Purchasing had ordered a different part. :-( He is going to talk to them about reordering the "continuous" version of the Trombetta for me that was originally installed. 👍
Old 11-23-2021, 04:50 PM   #7

Forgot to ask. Anyone know what the unattached yellow wire could be in my pic?
Old 11-24-2021, 01:11 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
NOT SURE, but I NOTE Just above the GREY 25A FUSE, in pic just left of end of the yellow wire, is (Maybe?) a MALE 1/4" push-on? INSPECT left side of that for scratch marks indicating that wire was previously installed? The SIZE of the yellow wire vs others also looks about right for 25a? Good Luck
Old 12-06-2021, 05:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmetivier View Post

Having same issue. I have 14 volts on the incoming current from engine battery and 12.5 on the outgoing side, which leads me to think I am only seeing voltage from my coach battery.
When I check coach battery voltage it reads 12.5 at the battery terminals with the E450 V10 engine running. The test is performed right after starting engine. Coach battery charged at 14+ volts with generator or shore power connection.

Any ideas? 2015 Thor Majestic E450 Ford. Class C.
tmanalio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:42 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<<Having same issue. I have 14 volts on the incoming current from engine battery and 12.5 on the outgoing side, which leads me to think I am only seeing voltage from my coach battery.
When I check coach battery voltage it reads 12.5 at the battery terminals with the E450 V10 engine running. The test is performed right after starting engine. Coach battery charged at 14+ volts with generator or shore power connection.

Any ideas? 2015 Thor Majestic E450 Ford. Class C.>>
CHECK VOLTAGE TO THE COIL OF THE SOLENOID, if you have power, it is energized and should read charging voltage on both sides. In this case, REPLACE solenoid.
IF NOT energized, and equipped with a BATTERY MANAGER/ BIRD, or other, there maybe a built-in time delay design to reduce chatter during start, and/or delay while CHASSIS BATTERY is charged FIRST before charging Coach. Reading COIL Voltage at solenoid is where to start. GOOD LUCK
Old 12-07-2021, 11:44 PM   #11

Thanks. It was the solenoid. Did an ohm test also to confirm it was not energized with switched power.

I had a new spare four pole old Ford solenoid that is working great. I’m 75 years old. I don’t want to think this hard anymore but I don’t trust the garage’s either.

Thanks for your help
Old 12-08-2021, 04:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanalio View Post
Thanks. It was the solenoid. Did an ohm test also to confirm it was not energized with switched power.

I had a new spare four pole old Ford solenoid that is working great. Iím 75 years old. I donít want to think this hard anymore but I donít trust the garageís either.

Thanks for your help
That old solenoid won't last long, it's designed for intermittent use. You only start your engine for seconds.

While driving, the solenoid is powered up and connected. In time, it will overheat and fail again.

What you will soon need is a continuous duty solenoid. They are designed to have power to them all of the time.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanalio View Post

I had a new spare four pole old Ford solenoid that is working great. I’m 75 years old. I don’t want to think this hard anymore but I don’t trust the garage’s either.

Thanks for your help
The solenoid I retrofitted into our 2005 Itasca Class C is the 2nd one down in the chart on this web page. I never want to be on a trip again and have my coach batteries not be getting charged from the V10's alternator (I probably should carry a spare one of these along - as they can be changed if necessary while camped):
https://www.trombetta.com/wp-content...ear-family.pdf
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:29 AM   #14

I was aware of that and that is exactly why I ordered an OEM Trombetta arriving this Friday.

Thanks. Tom

Tags
charging, solenoid