Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2021, 12:54 PM   #1

Inverter install

I have a 2008 Four Winds 5000 Class C. Only recently I was thinking about installing an inverter for those few times I want power but don’t want to run the generator, maybe a TV or just not wake others up to make coffee. I’m a boondocker, by the way.

Anybody have the same model who can advise the best place to locate it?

I do have a 12V inverter I plug into the 12V socket but thinking more permanent.

TIA
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2021, 01:01 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You want the 12 volt cables to the inverter to be as short as possible, so look for a place close the battery(s). The 120 volt cable should be the longer run, use that to cover distance to where you actually want to supply power.
Old 11-04-2021, 01:20 PM   #3

And, particularly with today's sensitive electronic, you want a PSW, not MSW inverter.

Size (in watts) should be approx 130% of the highest load you want to be able to run. Yes, reduce this if your battery capacity doesn't warrant that kind of load (in which case, you will run the generator for those larger loads).
Old 11-04-2021, 01:53 PM   #4

My batteries are under my step and my sink cabinet is next to them.

I installed a 1000 watt Xantrex PS1000 on the cabinet wall and ran 2 gauge cables down thru a hole, I drilled in the floor, under there then to the batteries and circuit breaker. Cables are run thru a thick piece of hose so no chafing.

I used a cheap extension cord to run to my TV, sat receiver, sound bar and DVD player.

I have a ATS in the system to power most of the outlets but that's not really needed. I could plug the coffee maker in to the inverter,, under the sink.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:27 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgpd1sam View Post
I have a 2008 Four Winds 5000 Class C. Only recently I was thinking about installing an inverter for those few times I want power but don’t want to run the generator, maybe a TV or just not wake others up to make coffee. I’m a boondocker, by the way.

Anybody have the same model who can advise the best place to locate it?

I do have a 12V inverter I plug into the 12V socket but thinking more permanent.

TIA
I had looked up your rig, but did not find battery location and how many batteries you have...

As mentioned inverter should be close to batteries.. My batteries are mid chassis, 2 that are factory near steps and one straight across in a compartment.. I have inverter with a remote on/off mounted in the compartment with extra battery, I used 7 ft of 2/0 cable to join batteries and the same 2/o cable 18" to inverter.
I then ran 10/2 SJ (extension) cord to my 3 way transfer switch,, you need to maybe run power strip or two and plug devices in place ..

Your battery capacity is gonna be your nemesis, I had 2 for 210 AAH,, that worked ok for light nite use of TV, chg phone and a fast cup of coffee in Kuerig provided heat did not run much or no fans.. I added anothe 100ah and I can be happy,, run my TV and internet for 6-8 hours a small fan or the heat, lights with in reason (all LED) and make a 6-8 pot of coffe t 7am and not have to fire genny till noon to chg for 2-3 hours. if i run 100+ah out of them...
I have since added solar 400watt.. This works awesome on sun/part sun days and not hit genny if I am careful on use..

in my previous rig I had 200ah, 2 battteries.. an apartment elec fridge, same coffe pot.. If care full I ran fridge from 8-9pm til 8am and got some coffee.. then fired a small 1000watt honda to chg and keep fride running etc during day, quiet , 1 gallon fuel.. it worked..

just tossing ideas of what works for me..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:13 AM   #6

Thanks all. I’ll go out and take a look at my set up again. I have two golf cart batteries and they take up just about every inch of real estate. Battery connections will be difficult as I will have to remove them to make connections.
Difficult being an old guy with a bad back and knees.
I may just have it done. Anyway, thanks again.
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:09 PM   #7

You should check out a Lithium batteries if you want run a inverter for coffee etc. The prices have really come down. They will run your inverter fabulously.
They also will save your back.
dustydave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, inverter