Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2020, 08:09 AM   #1

Inverter Reccomendation

Just picked up a 94 Gulfstream, we are looking to have everything run while we are on the road, as were going from NY to Florida. There is no inverter or generator. Everything is pretty much 12v or propane and runs while we're going, except for the microwave and roof top AC unit, which I assume are 110, as per previous owner. I'd prefer an inverter over a generator, can anyone give me pros, cons, and recommend an inverter that would do this for us ? Thanks in advance !
mtnxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2020, 09:17 AM   #2

What do you want to run off an inverter? Everything, including the rooftop A/C and the microwave? You'll need a large battery bank, probably lithium iron phosphate, and at least enough inverter to cover the peak demand.
Then there's the issue of recharging/replenishing the energy you've drawn from the battery bank.
I'm thinking adding an inverter/generator would be an easier and less expensive project. Is the motorhome set up to have one permanently mounted underneath the coach somewhere? Like an Onan Microlite or other?
Might as well add some solar up top, if there's enough real estate left over?
Old 06-09-2020, 07:27 AM   #3

I just want to run the roof top A/C and microwave, everything else is 12 volt.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:37 AM   #4

An inverter will not meet your needs to run the Air Conditioning continuously while you are traveling. You would need at least a 3000 watt inverter, maybe a 4000 watt to cover starting surges. A 15K BTU A/C draws 17 AC amps at steady state - that equal 170 DC amps. Have you got an alternator to handle that load plus other normal alternator loads? Then there's the DC cables to the inverter, probably need 0 gauge cables.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:38 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I would install a generator to run the 120 volt. It would take a large inverter and battery bank to run an AC unit.

Check to see if you don't already have a converter that acts as a batter charger when plugged in.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:42 AM   #6

Almost everybody who runs AC underway uses a generator.

Only a few, well designed, expensive systems, run AC for any time while driving.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:48 AM   #7

So, like I said in post #2, probably not going to happen.
Option 1 - run the dash air in the motorhome, and use the propane cooktop to cook with.
Option 2 - install an inverter/generator, like an Onan QG 2.8Kw Microlite and plug the A/C and M/W into it. Or, if you're a diesel chassis, maybe a QD3200 model. Your rig is probably set up for one. Did the seller say what happened to it?
Option 3 - Install 2000Ah worth of LiFePO4 batteries, connected to a 4,000W PSW inverter, and add a lot of solar panels up top to (help) recharge the batteries during and after use. NOT an inexpensive option.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post

Option 2 - install an inverter/generator, like an Onan QG 2.8Kw Microlite and plug the A/C and M/W into it. .
That generator is not an inverter generator. Its a constant speed 3600 RPM model.

Still a OK generator for a Class C MH.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
That generator is not an inverter generator. Its a constant speed 3600 RPM model.

Still a OK generator for a Class C MH.
Of course. Bad example.
I was thinking on a budget, you might be able to mount a remote start portable inverter/generator where an Onan may have been mounted at some point in the past, and run an extension cord inside to run either the A/C or M/W. Or both. Awkward but possible.
Or, budget permitting, install an Onan where the missing generator might have been if it would fit. I was thinking there probably was some sort of generator to provide an alternative AC power source besides shore, on that rig at some point, and it's been removed.
My typing fingers weren't paying attention, as I was thinking. Happens a lot as I wander through senility.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Of course. Bad example.
I was thinking on a budget, you might be able to mount a remote start portable inverter/generator where an Onan may have been mounted at some point in the past, and run an extension cord inside to run either the A/C or M/W. Or both. Awkward but possible.
Or, budget permitting, install an Onan where the missing generator might have been if it would fit. I was thinking there probably was some sort of generator to provide an alternative AC power source besides shore, on that rig at some point, and it's been removed.
My typing fingers weren't paying attention, as I was thinking. Happens a lot as I wander through senility.
Your thinking just like me, after on here everyone told me no to the inverter, I started doing some research and yes it would be nice to get a new Onan, but prices are crazy. It has the vented compartment for a generator, but its gone, so I'm looking at a Champion 3100 watt inverter generator with a remote start/stop key fob. I think it would work great would have to fab up some mounts and run the exhaust out the bottom, wonder if anyone has ever done this ?
Old 06-09-2020, 07:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnxtreme View Post
Your thinking just like me, after on here everyone told me no to the inverter, I started doing some research and yes it would be nice to get a new Onan, but prices are crazy. It has the vented compartment for a generator, but its gone, so I'm looking at a Champion 3100 watt inverter generator with a remote start/stop key fob. I think it would work great would have to fab up some mounts and run the exhaust out the bottom, wonder if anyone has ever done this ?
I've seen them set up on trailer hitch basket mounts, rooftops, and I believe some have replaced their (missing) originals with all sorts of portable inverter/generators in the OEM generator compartment.
Figuring out the exhaust thing would be a serious safety issue, but maybe some sort of Genturi-like system could be plumbed into it. Get one with a remote start, and a big fuel tank, and run a heavy gauge extension cord(s) up into the motorhome, and you might be in business.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:11 PM   #12

With a bit of searching on craigslist, ebay, facebook market, etc. It is often possible to buy a used take out RV generator for around $500 -$750, sometimes less. These are often fairly low hour units that have came out of motorhomes that have been scrapped.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #13

Quote:
I've seen them set up on trailer hitch basket mounts, rooftops, and I believe some have replaced their (missing) originals with all sorts of portable inverter/generators in the OEM generator compartment.
Figuring out the exhaust thing would be a serious safety issue, but maybe some sort of Genturi-like system could be plumbed into it. Get one with a remote start, and a big fuel tank, and run a heavy gauge extension cord(s) up into the motorhome, and you might be in business.
I'm not too worried about the exhaust, I'm a pretty good welder and been building cars and motorcycles all my life, I'm sure I could fab something up, the existing hole is there and there is a junction box, I could just tie in a plug direct, the door on the box is heavily vented, just wondering if there would be enough cooling. Even with a factory unit, I wouldn't be comfortable sleeping with one running anyway.And yes that unit is remote start.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
With a bit of searching on craigslist, ebay, facebook market, etc. It is often possible to buy a used take out RV generator for around $500 -$750, sometimes less. These are often fairly low hour units that have came out of motorhomes that have been scrapped.
Yes I've been looking, but they are very old units with exposed exhaust I'm not crazy about or the nice newer sealed units are very crazy money, even used !

Tags
inverter