Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2022, 06:29 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I see it so often. It's real bad when it's wet. Driving all over the grass making a muddy mess. A total disregard for the park like setting of the campground.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2022, 07:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Beedle View Post
Good afternoon everyone

We have a super C that is 45 feet long and our original thought was to carry a couple of e-bikes and go camping.
Well that lasted for two trips and now we want to bring a car. We thought long and hard about what to do. We ended up deciding to buy a enclosed trailer for the car, bikes and whatever else that we decide to bring.

We have a deposit on a 24 foot atc stacker that we are really excited about but..

We have been planning two more trips and are having trouble finding resorts or many campground that are friendly to rigs our size.

What is your experience with this and are we making a mistake? I really don't want to flat tow and the extra space would be great to have.

Thanks for your input

WOW that's a lot to deal with, might be to late for my answer since you put a deposit on a large heavy enclosed stacker trailer..

I use to have a 33 foot class A towing a large Open Stacker trailer with Jeep on bottom and small boat on top, found out how difficult it was to park and unhook and unload and still had a heavy trailer without the jeep on the trailer to deal with, my length was around 62 foot, many campgrounds make you park a large trailer in the over flow parking and a couple of them charged me for the over flow parking if they had a place to park it.

Sold it all and downsized my RV life..

Good Luck..
Old 02-20-2022, 08:13 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Many parks are not designed to accommodate such long rigs. Many shorter rigs in the hands of the poor drivers cannot navigate the turns and rut up the sites and landscaping. Make sure you can handle such a long rig correctly.

Also, look at the maximum unpermitted rig lengths in all the states you plan to travel.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:34 AM   #18

In all our years of heavy RV travel, most we met with a set up like that rented 2 sites in most parks.

One for the trailer and the other for the RV.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Also, look at the maximum unpermitted rig lengths in all the states you plan to travel.

Ken
65 feet in California
Old 02-21-2022, 07:07 PM   #20

Is 75 feet too big for rv parks?

Several in this thread have mentioned legal length laws traveling in different states. I have read many threads on the subject. No one in any of those threads has ever been pulled over for being too long. Even several retired LEO’s said they never pulled over a private rig for being too long. They are only interested in commercial rigs being over weight or size.

I have been 70’ without issue. And always over width when towing the boat.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:23 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Several in this thread have mentioned legal length laws traveling in different states. I have read many threads on the subject. No one in any of those threads has ever been pulled over for being too long. Even several retired LEO’s said they never pulled over a private rig for being too long. They are only interested in commercial rigs being over weight or size.

I have been 70’ without issue. And always over width when towing the boat.
There was a DPS officer operating to the west of Houston that was know to pull over obviously long rigs and issue a citation. So, it does happen. I have not heard of him in the past couple of years.

The laws do not distinguish between commercial and private rigs.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:29 AM   #22
Community Moderator

Just pick the rv parks that have super long pull throughs.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:34 AM   #23

It’s tough for me with a 43ft. Motorhome and pulling a Jeep.
I’m about 55ft.
Gotta plan way ahead.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The laws do not distinguish between commercial and private rigs.

Ken

You are correct.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:56 AM   #25

You people with huge rigs towing huge trailers.....I have to give you a lot of credit for your bravery. We get enough of the wee-bee-gee-bees with our 23'-8" long rig towing our Jeep Liberty. I wonder how long we are.

I could see taking some psychological chill-pills and go a lot bigger and longer if we were full-timing, setting up for months at a time.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:01 AM   #26

Why limit yourself to 75’?
Attached Images

Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:14 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
You people with huge rigs towing huge trailers.....I have to give you a lot of credit for your bravery. We get enough of the wee-bee-gee-bees with our 23'-8" long rig towing our Jeep Liberty. I wonder how long we are.

I could see taking some psychological chill-pills and go a lot bigger and longer if we were full-timing, setting up for months at a time.
You could measure it. Have you ever put it on a scale?
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:15 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post

So I’m guessing you would not like to drive an 18 wheeler for a living? Lol

Tags
rv park