Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2021, 08:12 AM   #1

Is my converter shot?

I purchased this rv, 2010 Four winds Chateau 19g, a month or so ago. I decided to update the interior, painting cabinets mostly.

I didn't add any new electronics.

When I purchased, ac unit did work on the generator, as well as everything else.

Yesterday I decided to start the generator and exercise it. It started fine, but no 110. All 12 volt devices work. All breaker have been cycled on and off. All 12 volt fuses good.

I checked wiring coming into rv with multi meter,no power seems to be coming in.

Should the red leds on the board be on when there is power? If so, none are.

I'm now at the end of my knowledge of rv systems.

Any others tips or ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210406_085819.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	324014  
Medeng8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2021, 08:21 AM   #2
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I checked wiring coming into rv with multi meter,no power seems to be coming in.

I'm not familiar with your rv but if you do not have 110 volt shoreline or the generator running to supply the same you are starting at the right place.

Did you use your meter on a known good outlet???

Does your shoreline cord have to be plugged into an outlet box in the cord compartment to let the generator power get to things?? This is a common issue and I forget that on mine a few times in previous RV's.

Not all RV's have automatic transfer switches.

No way I would jump to the conclusion you have a faulty inverter. You have to have 110 volts for it to do its job.

The air conditioner requires both 110 volts and 12 volts to operate.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #3

The only outlet I know worked was for the microwave, and it's not working.

My rv has the shore power cord hard wired in. The is a 30 amp receptical in the box where it is stored as well and I don't know what that is for.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:55 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That 30 amp receptical is to plug your 30 amp shore cord into, its the power outlet for the generator, if you have a 30 amp receptical you don't have a auto transfer switch.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:35 AM   #5

Yes, you may not have an automatic transfer switch ( box).
You would need to plug your cord into the generator to power up your RV.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #6

If you have either an ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) OR you have your shore power cord plugged into the generator outlet and still do not have 120 VAC in the coach:

Turn the on-generator breakers OFF and back ON.

This has NOTHING to do with your converter which takes 120 VAC from either shore power or generator and charged the 12 VDC batteries.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
That 30 amp receptical is to plug your 30 amp shore cord into, its the power outlet for the generator, if you have a 30 amp receptical you don't have a auto transfer switch.
This was exactly it! I had no idea. The guy I bought it from wasn't clear on how all that hooked up, and the owners manual didn't mention it. Thanks!

Everything is working except I have one outlet by the bathroom that trips the gfci. It's a new outlet and connected correctly. And the wires look good.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:53 PM   #8
YC1

Does your shoreline cord have to be plugged into an outlet box in the cord compartment to let the generator power get to things?? This is a common issue and I forgot that on mine a few times in previous RV's.

This was on post #2. Guess I was not clear.

The tripping GFCI is another issue. It is downstream from the main breaker panel.

So to be clear. Are you on shoreline??? Generator???? In either case everything does seem to work??

Did you put a voltmeter on the 12 volt portion of the inverter panel or the batteries??? What is the DC reading. It should be 13.5 or more with power.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:44 PM   #9

Everything is working on the generator. The only gfci is in the kitchen area. The outlet that keeps tripping it is wired down stream of it.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:20 PM   #10

Red LEDs are for the 12v fuses. They will illuminate when the fuse is blown AND there is a load downstream of them. That is all they are is a fuse blown warning. You can actually buy those fuses now that have the LED inside of the fuse.

If you do not have a automatic transfer switch, look in the cord compartment and see if there is a receptacle in there the rolled up shore cord will plug into. That will be your generator output. The generator also has a breaker inside of it, remove the cover and look down near the small 5 amp fuse and find a white toggle. That is the breaker protecting the output of the generator.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:14 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most likely tripped breaker on GEN, located on GEN itself, behind the START switch. 2) Believe the Lights on 12vdc FUSE panel ONLY light for a blown fuse; 3) Tripped GEN Breaker may have occured from shutting down GEN/ Starting GEN with Air Cond turned ON?
Old 04-07-2021, 06:40 AM   #12
YC1

Did you replace the outlet yourself?? Is so, why?

Disconnect the output wires on the gfci and see if it trips. Could be a bad one.

It can be very easy to miswire those things. Sometimes the markings are hard to see.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medeng8 View Post
This was exactly it! I had no idea. The guy I bought it from wasn't clear on how all that hooked up, and the owners manual didn't mention it. Thanks!

Everything is working except I have one outlet by the bathroom that trips the gfci. It's a new outlet and connected correctly. And the wires look good.

Same happened to me. My 97 Winnebago, was boondocking and had no power when I fired up the genny.
Friends asked if I had it plugged in, I looked at him like he was the biggest idiot. We’re boondocking, there is no plug in.
Then it dawned on me.....
Old 04-07-2021, 10:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medeng8 View Post
Everything is working on the generator. The only gfci is in the kitchen area. The outlet that keeps tripping it is wired down stream of it.
You should not have two GFCI's on the same breaker circuit from your panel. The circuit breaker in the panel should go directly to the GFCI first (not always) then to other outlets that need this protection (outside outlets, bath, etc.). The way you can tell is the number of cables that come into the GFCI box, one it is end of circuit, two then the circuit supplies another outlet somewhere.

There is many threads of the outlets that outside, etc. feed from one GFCI that cause problems. Corrosion, water leaks, etc. at a different location that the GFCI reacts to. The GFCI trips when the Hot and Neutral wires have an imbalance in current, if something is causing a high impedance shunt from HOT to ground it will pick it up. Corrosion can cause this as will water. Supposed to do that.

Good luck.
pneumatics is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter