Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2019, 06:58 AM   #15

Good for you with your first RV.

Gone Truck'n,
I too have an '89 Tioga on a Ford E-350.
I can tell you that your new-to-you Tioga is a great first time RV. You will learn a LOT about RV's. Being that the "coach" was build by Fleetwood, most parts are common and still available. The same goes for the Ford parts also.

Mine also has the 460 motor. That thing is huge and HOT. And with the 3 speed trans, your gonna what to be light on the gas pedal. Typical driving speed for me is 55 to 60 mph. ( around 3400 rpm. Pretty fast for a big motor.) Otherwise you can watch the gas gauge move! I have towed a 12 ft. loaded trailer. Didn't make any difference in mpg. Here is a link to a CD which helped with the motor and Frame: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Because the leaf springs are 30 yrs. old, they sag. I installed the Firestone Ride Rite air bag suspension kit and that made the handling so much more better. I would highly recommend this being one of your first add-ons. Really improves the ride. Here is a link for the kit I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now that the winter weather is here, yes you HAVE TO winterize you water systems. First... Get the water out! there are drain valves near the hot water tank, and under the shower. Drain the hot water tank. Then se an air fitting on the city water inlet and open all of the faucets, and shower valves, also the toilet. Then pour some RV anti freeze down each drain. at least enough to fill the goose neck trap. <<<<< Don't ask me how I found this out. Again this is a great RV to learn on.

Bill K

In the next post I'll attempt to attach the 1989 Tioga Owners Manual.
bkobernus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2019, 07:23 AM   #16

1989 Tioga Owners Manual

1989 Tioga Owners Manual attached.

Oh, and about the brakes.... Mine work great. Once... I think the rear tires came off the ground, as I had to come to a quick stop. Just check them out, or have your favorite mechanic check them out. Non-use is the worst thing for brakes.

And another thing.... Mine has 180,00 miles on the chassis, just over 30,000 on the engine. It's not the manifold bolts that snap... It's the manifold that cracks and breaks. It has to do with the installation process of torqueing the manifold bolts and heating of the engine. It is common in all Ford 460 motors. If yours is quiet, you are one of the lucky ones.

Yes, to checking all windows and body seams for leaking points. This is a constant battle. I haven't check the air conditioner seal yet, but I think that is where my leak is coming from. Again, this is going to be a constant battle. It has nothing to do with just this model of RV, it is common in ALL RV's.

Again congratulations on your new RV. Best of Luck to you.

I have just recently upgraded to a newer to me unit, and my '89 Tioga is also up for sale.

Bill K
bkobernus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:48 PM   #17

Thanks everyone for the good info. I just got an '89 Mallard, also on the E-350 chassis with the 460. So far so good, but you have given me some items to check!
dkdeford is offline   Reply With Quote