Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2022, 05:21 AM   #15

[QUOTE=Neverhome2;6220306]We purchased a 2021 Jayco Melbourne Prestige 24R last May. We have 10k miles on it and still love it. Only had a few minor problems (loose screw in the steps, shower leak, wrong O-ring in the water heater). We have fixed them all ourselves.

I am glad your experience was better than ours. My unit was sold without kitchen drawer latches. Returned to dealer twice to have installed. Did you get the TSB on the slide?? Jayco forgot to install a weatherstripping kit to keep out bugs, dust etc. The kit was installed by dealer - first trip after that the slide would not extend or retract properly. Had to fight with it 1200 miles from home. Something is wrong with the furnace. Missing or damaged duct. We found melted plastic dishes in drawer next to furnace. Hot air blowing into drawer area. Another cheap component is the stovetop. The gas burners have no auto ignite???? You have to use a match or lighter to light the burners? Is that insane or what. Jayco put that junk into a 100k+ unit?. SAD

The list goes on. Jayco must be trying to pump these out so fast, they are missing complete assembly. The installers must be new or just don't care. How do you forget to put in window screens, drawer latches, freezer shelf, install parts backwards or not at all. Is there no final inspection????

So disappointing to pay that much and have the RV spend more time at dealer than on trips. Not impressed with Jayco at all.
cowboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2022, 05:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy70 View Post
My unit was sold without kitchen drawer latches. The kit was installed by dealer. Missing or damaged duct. The gas burners have no auto ignite????
How do you forget to put in window screens, drawer latches, freezer shelf, install parts backwards or not at all. Is there no final inspection????

So disappointing to pay that much and have the RV spend more time at dealer than on trips. Not impressed with Jayco at all.
We put in the drawer magnets ourselves. From what I understand none of the 24R models came with latches so you are not the only one in this situation. This is what we used: Latches They were quick and easy to install. Took about 1/2 hour and better than taking it to the dealer.

The weather stripping kit was a service recall. I guess Jayco didn't realize the issue. Our dealer did ours in May and so far so good. I have heard that many dealers do not install the weather stripping properly and that caused problems with the slide.

Sounds like your furnace works great if it melts dishes Probably just a duct came loose from the vent.

We have no issue with the stove top. We rarely use it. We cook over the campfire or on a griddle.

Did you have screens missing? The freezer shelf is in ours is not removable. Was yours missing? Might be a different model refrigerator.

We have to commend our dealer (Ansley RV in PA). They do an inspection upon delivery to make sure the units are right. The list is then given to service so they know what needs to be done before the buyer takes ownership.
Old 06-25-2022, 03:53 PM   #17

[QUOTE=Neverhome2;6225553]We put in the drawer magnets ourselves. From what I understand none of the 24R models came with latches so you are not the only one in this situation. This is what we used: Latches They were quick and easy to install. Took about 1/2 hour and better than taking it to the dealer.

The RV was taken to dealer to have drawer catches installed. Next trip the drawers still flew open on turns. 2nd time in for drawer catches.

The dealer is looking at the slide weatherstripping now. Worked fine before dealer installed the kit. Our slide bound up and only one side moved.

We never use the stovetop. The point is, Jayco installed junk on an expensive rig. Seriously, no push to ignite button?? We cook outdoors or on an electric, griddle, skillet or crock pot.

We were missing a dinette window screen and the freezer shelf. Dealer pretended to have no idea about either.

Our dealer must not inspect anything. The cabover window shade was damaged and had to be replaced. The drawer under couch had damaged rails and could not be used. This was found on delivery day along with the cabover window shade.

Last time we took it in for service, the list had 8 or 9 items on it. Most were Jayco's fault. Some the dealer knew about and did not fix prior to sale.

I am not impressed with our dealer and would never buy from again.

First trip out, the AquaGo plus did not work. $200 later a repair service got it to work temporarily. At least Jayco reimbursed me for the service call on a new RV.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:41 PM   #18

The problem with heavy drawers and magnetic catches, is that on a bump while on a curve in the wrong direction, the magnets let go and the drawers fly open.

I reconfigured our drawers which made them heavier. I added many magnetic latches but my wife had to "jerk" the drawers to get them open. Even then, the drawers still opened under "perfect storm" conditions.

So I then removed a few magnetic catches on each drawer to address my wife's complaint, and added these latches. Now if only we could remember to latch them before moving the motorhome.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:34 PM   #19

Those push latches are nice!
Old 06-28-2022, 12:47 PM   #20

UPDATE

[QUOTE=Neverhome2;6225553]We put in the drawer magnets ourselves. From what I understand none of the 24R models came with latches so you are not the only one in this situation. This is what we used:

Dealer update: Still waiting for drawer latches to be sent to dealer. The slide weatherstripping kit was installed incorrectly. Dealer ordered another kit and will re-install correctly.

The furnace issue..... dealer advised hot air of 212 degree's being pumped into drawer area. Dealer called Jayco for advice. Jayco called furnace manufacturer for advice. The technicians decided that the RV needs to have a 3rd heater vent installed. RV came with one vent under kitchen counter area and another in the bathroom. They now have to figure out where to install a 3rd one. Does this sound crazy to anyone else? Did I buy this motorhome in the Twilight Zone?? Why is this such a surprise to Jayco technicians?
Not a real confidence builder. The saga continues.

Neverhome 2: How many furnace/hot air ducts do you have in your 24RP??
Old 06-28-2022, 01:08 PM   #21

Quote:
The slide weatherstripping kit was installed incorrectly. Dealer ordered another kit and will re-install correctly.

Neverhome 2: How many furnace/hot air ducts do you have in your 24RP??
This was our slide weather stripping install. So far it is okay.

We only have 2 heat vents. We tend to use an electric space heater set on a board on the counter rather than the furnace. It is free to use the electric at the campsites rather than use our propane and the space heater easily keeps us warm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide_bottom_seals1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	369557   Click image for larger version

Name:	slide_bottom_seals2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	369558  

Old 06-28-2022, 06:47 PM   #22

Your weatherstripping looks better than ours did. I have thought about using an electric heater. Will start looking for one now.

We have the same color paint on ours.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:12 AM   #23

Quote:
I have thought about using an electric heater. Will start looking for one now.
This is the one we bought. (HEATER) It has fan and thermostat settings. Also a safety tip over switch. Works great.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:52 AM   #24

I think it's great that some folks are so handy that they're doing what is the manufacturer's job. Are you getting reimbursed?

Honestly, I'm digusted at what you're getting with an +$100k investment. Would you buy a car like that? Buy a $50k upscale car and adhere panels and repair wiring? Would you buy a $2000 TV and start repairing it?

How much is the chassis worth? Then add appliances and material to build your coach. You'll see that you are charged way too high anyway. That's ok, there's a lot of knowledge going into it but please up your craftmanship!

I understand that RV's in motion will have some break downs and things getting loose But not with a brand new unit. We have a Leprechaun, and trust me, the list is endless though not as wild as with the Jayco units obviously.

Maybe we need a law allowing to ask for a free replacement or a partial refund of money paid for a unit which doesn't do what it promised to do. There are countries that have that and it teaches manufacturers to pay attention.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelG View Post
I think it's great that some folks are so handy that they're doing what is the manufacturer's job. Are you getting reimbursed?

Honestly, I'm digusted at what you're getting with an +$100k investment. Would you buy a car like that? Buy a $50k upscale car and adhere panels and repair wiring? Would you buy a $2000 TV and start repairing it?
Not sure what you are talking about. Our Jayco has been great! It has done everything that it has promised. Previously we had a 45' Entegra (Jayco) and when things needed fixed they would ship us the part (usually next day air) and we would fix it. Parts were free if under warranty. With the new Melbourne Prestige we have had only minor problems and our cost was negligible, shower leak just tightening the fitting and some caulking, $7 o-ring for the water heater, tighten the screw in the step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelG View Post
How much is the chassis worth? Then add appliances and material to build your coach. You'll see that you are charged way too high anyway. That's ok, there's a lot of knowledge going into it but please up your craftmanship!
The Mercedes chassis starts at $47k without options and the Ford E450 starts at $37k without options (prices from their websites for 2023 models). The expense is not materials it is labor. We know why that is expensive. Hard to get help let alone quality help.

We bought our camper to go camping. If it takes a tube of caulking, o-ring from the autoparts store, adding drawer magnets, or a turn of the screwdriver we will take the few minutes to do those things so we can travel. All in all we have put less time and money than it would take Jayco. And if Jayco did these jobs the price of the unit would probably go up $10k or more.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:56 PM   #26

Thanks! I will be getting one.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:32 AM   #27

Anybody buy a post-COVID Jayco and find the quality improved at all?

Currently without travel trailer
Sbad0cko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 12:06 PM   #28

I have a 23 Entegra 26M that I have only owned for a couple of months but fingers crossed so far so good. I have cleaned up the wiring a bit as it's still a mess from the factory and taped the inside of the AC's to seal them up. but everything is working so far. I'm very happy with the layout and experience so far.
machz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco, quality