Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2022, 06:07 AM   #1

Jayco Quality

Hello all,

We bought a new 2021 Jayco Melbourne Prestige this past December. So disappointed by all of the quality issues and missing parts! Been to the dealer three times and still not fixed. Dealer told me they are going through the same thing with another Melbourne.

Anyone have similar luck or did we get caught in a bad production run?

PS: we moved from a Winnebago Era70X class B
cowboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2022, 10:59 AM   #2

I've had a number of Jayco units prior to my current Winnebago. Jayco's cabinetry is much better, however most other things about my prior Jayco units were poorer. And the Jayco units got worse and worse craftsmanship as the years wore on.

I will however also say that the Jayco one piece cap on their C's is the real deal, and the fact that their roofs are crowned is nice. My Winnie's is totally flat; and it sucks as the water has nowhere to run unless I park nose up.
Old 06-15-2022, 12:59 PM   #3

Our Winnebago had far less problems, and was built with much higher quality components.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:15 PM   #4

Jayco has been going steadily down hill over the years. Their acquisition by Thor in 2016 made it even worse, I have owned a 96 Jayco 22 foot C and also a 2017 Greyhawk. The 96 was much better in many respects. I sold the Greyhawk for numerous quality issues. I won't list them all, but I won't buy any Jayco again. Some folks say that any rig regardless of cost can have issues, which is true, but the higher end rigs for the most part don't start with junk. If I'm going to do some fixing on a rig, I would rather snuff out issues on a quality rig instead of constantly fixing junk which breaks constantly.
Col. Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:59 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
My 2018 Jayco Redhawk, which I've had since new, has had no major issues. 25K miles and counting over 4 years with a family of five.
People tend to be quicker to speak up when they have a complaint but less so when nothing goes wrong...
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:51 AM   #6

Of course people speak up about quality control issues. No big surprise there, Duh. When you spend the amount of $$$ that this rig cost me, you don't expect garbage. Example: missing parts, parts installed backwards, broken parts, components that don't work. I bought this last December and it is still not fixed.
If you spend big bucks and everything is fine, you just expect that.
Never Jayco again.

PS: The "Prestige" moniker....... what a joke.
Old 06-16-2022, 05:04 AM   #7

Col. Klink:

I understand some problems on a new unit. But missing parts? Who expects that on a new rig. I was surprised that Jayco installed cheap components in a rig like this. EX: my Winebago had a remote controlled ceiling fan. Auto open/close, air in or out. Jayco put in some junk hand crank to open and only exhaust air.
Quality control issues are one thing, cheap components are another.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:25 AM   #8

Someone with a new 2021 Entegra (made by Jayco) was sharing some pictures of his messy wiring and concerning plumbing.

What a disorganized rats nest, and they combined it in the same compartment with the water pump and water filter. A small spraying leak destroys everything. I would be afraid to change the filter.

His fresh water lines were partially routed underneath the rig out in the elements where freezing is of grave concern.

I love the seamless over-head cap of the Entegra, but after seeing that, I stopped bringing it up as a rig to consider. What the heck was Jayco thinking? Did they forget how to design a motorhome? Maybe they laid off all the experienced and hired all new young people who didn't know the acronym "RV".
Old 06-16-2022, 07:34 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Entegra and Jayco (and now Tiffin) are all owned by Thor, Inc. (not to be confused with Thor Motorhomes). Jayco does not build Entegra products although Entegra does sell some Jayco built Class C motorhomes. Manufacturing/engineering/design/marketing are separate to each brand.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:14 AM   #10

Unless you have major issues, it's much less stressful and much quicker to just fix them yourself.
pauldub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldub View Post
Unless you have major issues, it's much less stressful and much quicker to just fix them yourself.
Likely cheaper as well. By time you add in the fuel and time, meals etc
As you said unless it is major.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy70 View Post
Col. Klink:

I understand some problems on a new unit. But missing parts? Who expects that on a new rig. I was surprised that Jayco installed cheap components in a rig like this. EX: my Winebago had a remote controlled ceiling fan. Auto open/close, air in or out. Jayco put in some junk hand crank to open and only exhaust air.
Quality control issues are one thing, cheap components are another.
Jayco can only be responsible for what they can control. The off the shelf stuff like appliances is on the manufacturer, but sometimes the install does affect the unit. But stuff like upholstery and house build quality is on Jayco. Jayco specs the upholstery, and the furniture maker builds it to their specs. The E450 chassis was great except there was some driveline vibration that I had to deal with. A big problem is that they are building these units way too fast. Maybe they can't compete if they don't, but there is no doubt that it's speedracer from start to finish. That's clear everywhere you look. The downspecing of the upholstery is a major problem, but you wont find that out till your long out of warranty. I have heard that they have addressed that thing they call a shower pan, the one that people put their foot through. I've been told that the employees that build these rigs are paid by the rig, not by the hour. That's a problem right there.
Col. Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldub View Post
I actually did some repairs myself. Some I could not do.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:12 AM   #14

We purchased a 2021 Jayco Melbourne Prestige 24R last May. We have 10k miles on it and still love it. Only had a few minor problems (loose screw in the steps, shower leak, wrong O-ring in the water heater). We have fixed them all ourselves.

Agree on the fans...should have been remote or at least opened and powered from a wall switch. We will probably have those changed. We added magnetic latches on the drawers which should have been done in production. We tied up the wires under the coach which should have been done in production. We add hatch lift extenders to the exterior driver's side storage doors.

Overall we felt it is a small list. We came from a 45' Entegra coach to the 25' Jayco and were pleasantly pleased. One of the only things we would have like to have is the auto gen start. Basically we had all the same conveniences as the 45' coach just more compact!

Tags
jayco, quality